Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

just quit drinking, when should I be evaluated for MH accurately?

Notices

just quit drinking, when should I be evaluated for MH accurately?

Old 02-18-2007, 08:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question just quit drinking, when should I be evaluated for MH accurately?

Hi, my daughter was just diagnosed as bipolar. The more I've read about it, I think I may also have it. I have suffered from depression for most of my life. I have been on most antidepresants with little or no effect. Since I was 13yrs old I've pretty much gotten drunk oncee a week. I just quit drinking, so I can get the proper MH help, so I can better help my daughter with her issues. My question is, how long should I wait before going to teh Dr. to talk about this? If the alcohol was masking my posssible bipolar, how long will it take for the weekly doses of alcohol to get out of my system before an accurate MH diagnosis can be made? I don't want a Dr. to prescribe me some sort of mood stabilizer right now, if it may not even be necessary. Do I wait 1 week? or more? I think I have a good enough support system now to keep my MH in check and it will not pose any immediate threats to anyone if it gets worse before it gets better. I just want to know if the antidepressants will 'kick in' and start doing what they were supposed to all along, or if in fact they weere always useless, alcohol or not. Thanks for all your help and concern.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, Jessica,
And welcome to SR!

I can't answer your questions concerning the length of time. But, I'm sure you know that drinking counters the effects of an anti-depressant. So, you've done the right thing by stopping.

Please talk to your doctor about the bipolar issue. Tell him/her that you don't want to start a med unless it's necessary, but, that you have this concern. The two of you need to work together as a team for your best health.

I wish you well. Please let us know how it turns out.

Shalom!
Old 02-19-2007, 03:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Jessica

Just wanted to also welcome you to SR. I have to head off to work now, but hopefully can check in tonight. Mike
Old 02-26-2007, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe you should try anti depressants again now that you are not drinking. I have also tried AD's with little or now effect. I am going to give it a try again and hope I get different results. Good luck, I know how bad this ish can be sometimes.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

it usually takes at LEAST 6 months of being dry before a good doctor will attempt any mental health diagnosis, but some may want to wait a year or longer before diagnosing...
Old 02-27-2007, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile Thanks

Thanks you all for your helpful advice. It's been 8 days sober now and I am feeling surprisingly better than I had been feeling before getting sober.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Fantastic!!

Originally Posted by Jessica4407 View Post
Thanks you all for your helpful advice. It's been 8 days sober now and I am feeling surprisingly better than I had been feeling before getting sober.

That is great news Jessica!!!! A day at a time, you can do it. I am sooooo happy for you!!!!!!!!!!