Notices

Bipolar or OCD

Old 01-12-2007, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Bipolar or OCD

I am so confused. Two different Doctors gave different diagnosis. One says I have OCD. The other says I'm Bipolar. I was on Prozac 60mg and Seroquil and doing good. The new doctor decided to stop the Seroquil and wean me off the Prozac over 2 weeks. She started me on Depikote and in 2 weeks she'll add Zyprexa. I'm concerned because I don't think I am Bipolar. I do have a few of the manic symptoms but I don't "crash" like some have decribed. Sometimes I get down and want to hide in my room for a couple days but after a day or to I snap out of it. I'm not sure if I should stay with my new doctor or return to the old office. Help!!
Old 01-12-2007, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

What are your OCD like symptoms?
Old 01-12-2007, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Impulsive decisions, spending $ that I shouldn't, big plans for new business ventures, racing thoughts.
I've gone for an oil change and bought a new car.
I've closed my office and took out a loan to buy another dog.
I could spend ours online looking for things I want like a stainless steel toaster. I have 2 of most most small appliances...just in case one breaks.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

That sounds more like bipolar (manic episodes) than OCD.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Try This.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...hlight=bipolar

You mind find some answers by reading this thread, shutterbug has a lot of useful information.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I see what you mean Doorknob but where are the "downs" ? Can someone be Bipolar and have 3 or 4 manic episodes a month that last anywhere from a few houra to a couple days and be "down" only a few times a year? The rest of the time I'm pretty level except my mind is always racing.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, it's called rapid cycling and it's different for everyone. OCD are intrusive thoughts like, " Did I shut off the iron", maybe touching something a certain number of times in the same exact place at the same exact time. Your symptoms sound like bipolar symptoms to me (just my opinion).
Old 01-13-2007, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Jag

May I presume you are a recovering alkie based on your avatar? As far as I know, most alkies continually think, sometimes I wished I could shut it off.
Hope all is going well with you today. Mike
Old 01-13-2007, 02:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, I'm a recovering alkie/addict....I'm addicted to whatever gives me goose bumps. I've heard the same thing from many in recovery. My head runs so much that I swear the people near me can hear it.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Originally Posted by Jaguar0425 View Post
Impulsive decisions, spending $ that I shouldn't, big plans for new business ventures, racing thoughts.
I've gone for an oil change and bought a new car.
I've closed my office and took out a loan to buy another dog.
I could spend ours online looking for things I want like a stainless steel toaster. I have 2 of most most small appliances...just in case one breaks.
most of what you describe here are typical bipolar symptoms...not OCD.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I see what you mean Doorknob but where are the "downs" ? Can someone be Bipolar and have 3 or 4 manic episodes a month that last anywhere from a few houra to a couple days and be "down" only a few times a year? The rest of the time I'm pretty level except my mind is always racing.

yes, cgirl is right. There are different types of bipolars: bipolar I, bipolar II and either can be rapid cyclers. I've cycled several times a day from one minute to the next and i've also gone years were I only felt a little down or felt a little extra energized.

Most bipolars don't realize they are bipolars because of the somewhat "level" times we go through. Major episodes of depression or mania only come on average about every 7 years.

From what I know now...I was hypomanic (slightly manic - not full-blown mania) for about a year before my first major depressive episode that left my body feeling like i'd been hit by a truck every morning and i ended up having to withdraw from college for a while. Then things got back to "normal" then I went hypomanic again for about 2 years and then hit my second major depression (which was about 7 years from the last major depressive episode). That was when i started learning and wanting to learn what was going on with me.

I am a bipolar who struggles mostly with depression and i don't think i've ever had a full-blown mania. The other type of bipolars are the opposite...they deal mostly with manias and less with depression.

Make sense?

Be sure and watch your sleeping habits...little or no sleep is a common symptom of mania and the less sleep you get...the more manic you will become.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, I'm a recovering alkie/addict....I'm addicted to whatever gives me goose bumps. I've heard the same thing from many in recovery. My head runs so much that I swear the people near me can hear it.

Studies have shown that as many as 80 percent of bipolars become addicts....and 20 percent succeed at suicide. So...you can see why it's so important to get the right diagnosis and treatment.

If you are working on staying sober...it will be a much easier task if your bipolar disorder is being propertly treated.

My mind races BIG TIME too....constantly going and going (unless i'm in a depressive episode).

Here's another important thing...not to confuse you but to hopefully help you make more sense of things and find out what is all going on....but i am bipolar with a co-existing condition of ADHD. It is very common to have both...but it is also very common to be misdiagnosed for having one with the other is the true diagnosis.

What i would suggest is to go see a diagnostic psychologist to do a full diagnostic evaluation. If you're on insurance...it should only cost the same as a doctor visit copay but is an more extensive visit with lots of testing and talking.

Then...if you are seeing a general physian for your mental issues...i would stop and immediately find a highly recommended psychiatrist. Gen docs don't have the proper skills to treat us for mental issues this complicated....and even psychiatrists can't get the whole picture in a 30-60 minute office visit.

For a while now i've been taking 2 anti-depressants, Effexor and Wellbutrin, and last month i couldn't afford both so I dropped the Wellbutrin. I tell you ...i totally discovered how much my ADHD was driving my brain to overthink and worry and lose things and forget and not concentrate AND how that the Wellbutrin was having a major positive impact on correcting that. I had thought the Wellbutrin wasn't doing much for me, but it was doing so much more than i would have know if i hadn't stopped if for a month. I can't tell you how relieved i am to have worked it out so i can now afford both my meds!

Anyway...i'm babbling now. Feel free to pm me any time with any questions you may have...that's what we are all here for.

Welcome to SR and the MH forum
Hugs,
Jenna
Old 01-14-2007, 02:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you Shutterbug. You've given me a lot of information. I was diagnosed with PTSD about 5 years ago but went to counseling for a few years and have been much better. I must sy that since they changed my meds I have been feeling good. I didn't feel bad before but I was spending mo ney like a crazy woman. I've been more "level" this past week. Tomorrow I'm supposed to double my dose of Depikote to 1000mg a day. Half at breakfast and half at dinner. That seems like a lot after taking only 60 or 80 mg of prozac for so many years. Is this normal?
Old 01-15-2007, 05:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Every drug has different strenghts. I took Depakote years ago and I can't remember what's considered a high dose. I hope your doctor is ordering regular blood tests for Depakote levels in your blood. It's very important with that particular drug.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes, they mentioned that I'll have to be checked often.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hope3

If all else fails, get a third opinion. There are so many degrees of any diagnosis. If I was you I would emidiately get involved with my own recovery by doing your own research (which you started by asking here).

My mother is bi-polar so are many of the students I work with and there is some typical signs,but they vary.

deffinately try to find what the real diagnose is..best eishes Hope3.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sounds like bipolar mania to me. If so, the new doctor was correct to take you off the SSRI and put you on depakote. If it's not working don't be afraid to ask your pdoc questions or get another opinion. Usually it takes a few tries to get settled on meds that work for you.

Depakote is a mood stabilizer, I've been on it, seems to work pretty well. Depakote doses are usually high, mine is at 400-600mg. Just make sure you get blood work done for the first 6 months. It's to check for liver problems.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Remember that there is a difference in OCD and OCPersonalityD.

The Obsessive compulsive PERSONALITY disorder is more characteristic of a Drill Sargent. Think: perfectionism, rigidity, stubborness, preoccupation with rules, details, excludes friendships due to being excessively devoted to work, refuses to delegate tasks,etc. This person may not realize that they have a problem.

OCD is an anxiety disorder (not personality disorder) the person can be preoccupied with impulses or intrusive thoughts or repetitive behaviors. Usually the person is aware that these compulsions are not normal and they interfere with quality of life.

Bipolar disorder is a mood disorder. There are several different types and can have many different symptoms. It is even possible to go years without a major depressive episode.

Only a qualified doctor can properly diagnose you and there is nothing wring with getting several opinions. Good luck in your search.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My son has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and at one point OCD. The psychiatrist thought he was oCD because he pulled out all his hair after he reached the end of his rope dealing with a heroin addictiion. He never had any other obsession. Now after relapsing they are confirming the bipolar diagnosis....racing thoughts ...depression...not mania. He is on respiridol and it seems to be working. Anyone hear of this medicine?