Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

TOPIC: Let Us Get To Know You. What Brought You To Sober Recovery?

TOPIC: Let Us Get To Know You. What Brought You To Sober Recovery?

Old 01-04-2007, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question TOPIC: Let Us Get To Know You. What Brought You To Sober Recovery?

Hi Im Sharon and Im an alcoholic.

We have many new members joining
SR and Id like to get to know you.

What brought you to Sober Recovery?

Share a little something special about
urself with us.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I work at home and have been sober for almost 7 weeks. I received a dui 7 weeks ago and knew I had to do something that was long overdue. As I was searching the internet to research my legal issues I came on your site and was intrigued by the wonderful support. Since it is now difficult for me to get anywhere, I have found stories that are touching and inspiring. My life is far from perfect now, but I know i am heading in the right direction. It really helps to check the site every morning anfd get some strength.

Thank you.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm not really sure how I found SR, but I lurked and read posts for a couple months before I registered and started posting. I was starting to engage in "stinking thinking" when I had free time at work, so SR has given me an outlet for those moments. And just like being in AA, I've made so many friends in a short amount of time here. This site is a godsend.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm Tommy a grateful recovery addict from Atlanta, Ga. and , I enjoy this new way of living "one day at a time". How foolish of me to think it could be lived any other wise for so many years; my old destructive thinking coupled with active addiction. But today I thank God for the various Fellowships of Recovery;and,for His awesome wisdom wherein we can join one another with a common bond no matter the distance; we may ever be connected,supportive and strengthen in Recovery and,in this new way of living "Just For Today". tkx all for being here for me.......seloth@.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I was a neurotic, codependent mother looking for some answers to "fix" my broken addict son.

I had never been on a message board or chat room in my life, I googled something and ended up here and found that the answer was to fix me, and the rest is history.

Hugs
Old 01-05-2007, 01:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Lurker

Why am I here?

I guess it more or less revoles around my children. I can no longer go on be drunk and beligerent around them. Then the next morning (if I remember it) feel so bad. It was either leave and kill my self quitely, or get sober. Day 4 now, but I will need many prayers to make it through the weekend which is one of my favorite times to be buzz'in.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi everyone.

I have come to SR as a way to bolster my personal recovery program. I believe that a varied approach to substance abuse healing works best for me. However I do consider my self a DRA member only because their program is less authoritarian than some of the other programs that I have investigated. I was hoping to find a DRA group here, but, I’ll adopt and adapt to what’s available here. Any way, I do have an open mind and am willing to try something new.

See you around the boards, take care and be well. Zencat.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My name is Dan and I am an Alcoholic,

I am actually at work during a slow time and looking for something productive to do.
I have a little over 19 years of sobriety and could not imagine what my life would be like if I had not found AA.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I, like Ann, came here for a "cure". Except for mine was for for my husbands xanax addiction. I was angry at all these "jerks" on here telling me *I* had a problem too. I denied it and denied it until I came to realize I do have a problem.

Sheesh, looking back, I was crazier than he was. Following him, checking his cell phone, searching him when he got home from work, tearing the house apart, searching his car, checking his eyes every 5 minutes, studying his walking patterns, etc.

I came to find that I needed help with my co-dependecy issues. Its a work in progress buts it getting better everyday.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Alcoholic and Addict

i searched for something about Bill W. and one of the hits led me here

had 4 1/2 months Xmas and relapsed unexpectedly

I go to AA and NA
Old 01-11-2007, 02:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's so nice to see new as well as existing
members here in Sober Recovery.

With all the topics available and threads
shared with members ESH to inspire us...
and guide us....this has to be one the best
useful tools in recovery that I know of...

Dont you agree?

Im glad u guys found SR and using
it like I as a part of ur recovery program.

Lots of good stuff here in SR.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My first post...

On August 7th, 2006, the Bureau of Narcotics was at my home when my daughter and I arrived after school. Until that very moment, I had no idea that my husband of 15 years was an addict. He is addicted to opiates and goes before the grand jury in March or April for three felony charges for fraudulant obtaining of prescriptions. Since August, I have been responsible for placing him in rehab, selling a house that was in foreclosure, filing for bankfuptcy, moving twice, seeing my husband arrested again for the same thing, and so on and so forth. I can't tell you what a delight it is to find this website and to read the posts of all the people who have been through what I am going through. I live in a small town, and the closest support meeting I can find is an hour away. FYI, the bureau of narcotics thought my husband was a dealer, but he was just using in excess of 30 Loritabs a day.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Alcoholic and Addict

glad you're here meidtutz
Old 01-12-2007, 01:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have a gal pal in Idaho who is well aware of all my "issues". In discussing my difficulties with my ex boyfriend who is alcoholic/addict...she told me I might want to look into co-dependency issues and suggested the Friends & Family Forum here. As I'm newly sober and going to AA...I find both forums fantastic.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In my hopeless and desperate state of mind I started Googling recovery, etc. Stumbled upon this site. I couldnt even stay clean one day. Struggled for another 6 months or so after I joined SR. I kept coming here and posting, made some good friends, evenually surrendered. Thats when my recovery began on 5-25-05. I have now been clean almost 20 months.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Hi I'm Garry and I'm a recovering addict.

I got my first computer in 2001 and started internet surfing in 2002. Because I chaired my area's Newsletter Sub-committee, I'd use the internet to search for NA related material to publish. I stumbled upon several NA/Recovery web sites and became very fond of one in particular (I won't mention the name), but recently I've found the administrators of that site to be too biased for my tastes. So...I decided to give posting and chatting a break and get back into my writing. One night, while looking up some information on the 10th Tradition, I ran across a link that directed me to this site. I must say it was a very pleasant surprise to find the wealth of ES&H here. With over 8 years clean, a hectic work schedule, an elderly mother to attend to and a home to maintain by myself, I don't get to attend as many meetings as I would like to (I still do 1 or 2 a week) so it's great to have an additional way to receive and share ES&H. Glad to be here and glad you're here for me.

Be blessed.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So glad to meet you Garry and im glad
you found SR...This is an awesome place
to be and a great tool to use as a part
of your recovery.

8 yrs of many one days at a time collected
to get you where u r today....

WAY TO GO.. : )