Notices

Neurontin, Lithium, Lexapro

Old 11-21-2006, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Neurontin, Lithium, Lexapro

I am bipolar and was in a detox prog for abusing prescrip drugs, anyway, i take neurontin 400mg 4 times a day for nerve pain, plus other reasons im sure, and i take lithium 3x a day, and i take lexapro 1x a day......any thoughts experiences or advice on it?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wii
A SeaBird Living LandLocked

Oh Dear Lord. I'm sorry to hear that.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have no opinions or experiences apart from thinking: wow that's a lot of meds.

Marte
Old 11-22-2006, 03:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am bipolar too, and my friends, that is NOT a lot of meds. Lexapro has been a godsend to me (I take 40 mg.) Lithium, not so much. I gained a lot of weight on it, tried depakote, hated it. There is a new mood stabilizer out there called lamictal (sp?) and it too, has been a godsend. As far as the neurontin goes, I don't use it, but a friend of mine who fell on the ice last year was on vicoden and it didn't work, so they switched her to that and the results were dramatic.

I know this is an addiction forum, but for a disorder such as bipolar disorder, meds are a necessary evil. Diabetics need insulin, Bipolar sufferers need mood stablilizers.

Good luck! Hope I helped.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

P.S. The lamictil has NO side effects and you only take it once a day
Old 11-22-2006, 04:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Lamictial and effexor work great for me, its nice to only have to take meds once a day.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

Listen to your body. Share that information with your doctor.
Do what's right for you.

Shalom!
Old 11-22-2006, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I said I had no opinions, geez. I'm not gonna argue whether the topic starter needs those meds or not. It's just a reflection of the first thought that popped up in my head.

Marte
Old 11-22-2006, 08:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's all good. I just get a little defensive about some meds.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Wii

Wink

I'm not a big fan of drugs so anything I say will be disputed by someone so I'll just shut the hell up.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thank you all for your info, and thoughts. I feel pretty good, i wonder if i should take a higer dose of lexapro tho, its only 10 mg. did i mention the seroquel? Thats only at bedtime, and dang that will knock you flat on your caboose, but i feel pretty good and not like using, couldnt figure out how to do it now anyway, haha, im gettin used to the meds and am loopy as all get out.....anyway, again, i love you guys and thanks
Old 11-22-2006, 01:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My AH who is also bipolar takes Lithium, Seroquel, and Topamax and then there is the Ambien for sleep. He used to be on Depakote but it stopped owrking and it caused him weight gain, which is fairly common w/Depakote.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Wii

Question

I'm Loopy on Cold medicines right now. It's 4:30 A.M. and I woke up in a coughing fit so I had to get up for a while and let the cough syrup and Benedryl kick in. I wonder how much longer I am going to be sick, it's going on 3 damn months now.

Hey, anyone in Admin. Why don't the smilies work?? And I shut off for abuse of smilies?? ** There could be a smilie right here, right now but they don't work }
Old 12-05-2006, 12:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I take 10 mg of Lexapro, Im starting to think I need more Ive been on it 6 months and Im all over the place again, mainly low depressed and anxious. I actually feel myself slipping deeper.

Funny someone mentioned Topomax. before I knew I was bipolar I was prescribed Topomax for migraines and I remember telling a coworker "Is this what "normal " feels like. " I could think for the first time ever.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i started on topamax also for migraines, and it knocked me on my butt the first time. i'm weird, don't give things like that time to work, but seems like a lot of people have really good results with it. did i have some crazy paradoxical reaction, or if it does make you sleepy, for how long?
thanks
misti
Old 11-01-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i have trouble lettin the meds work too Mikiglen, i understand. i start to feel a little loopy & i toss them out. i'm really trying to let the Lyrica work for my chronic back / neck pain issues. i fear sometimes people don't understand the degree of pain some of us have. i gave a lot of advice to a friend once about not taking drugs & now i feel so bad & owe him an apology, i had no idea what kind of mind scrambling life altering pain he was really in until i experienced it myself. my car crash that caused my injury was a rollover truck that i flew out the window of & the truck landed on top of me. it was no fender bender. so i sure understand what that kind of injury can do to someone. i'm lucky to be alive, but i also have the pain to deal with daily & it can really wear someone down to fight it every minute of every day.
Tennlady, how does the Neurontin work for you?
Old 11-01-2007, 03:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Wii

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by danib View Post
i have trouble lettin the meds work too Mikiglen, i understand. i start to feel a little loopy & i toss them out. i'm really trying to let the Lyrica work for my chronic back / neck pain issues. i fear sometimes people don't understand the degree of pain some of us have. i gave a lot of advice to a friend once about not taking drugs & now i feel so bad & owe him an apology, i had no idea what kind of mind scrambling life altering pain he was really in until i experienced it myself. my car crash that caused my injury was a rollover truck that i flew out the window of & the truck landed on top of me. it was no fender bender. so i sure understand what that kind of injury can do to someone. i'm lucky to be alive, but i also have the pain to deal with daily & it can really wear someone down to fight it every minute of every day.
Tennlady, how does the Neurontin work for you?
OMG danib. :sorry I am So sorry for your accident and injuries. You MUST be in Hell. Sounds terrible. I hope over time things will heal and your pain will subside.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

thank you for the good wishes.
i'm afraid since my accident was over 2 decades ago that i will probably never fully heal, but i do also hope that i will find some answers & be in less hell.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just thought I would bump up my old thread. I wanted to list the meds I am on now. Okay, the doc did take me off neurontin but put me back on. So neurontin 800mg 4xdaily, Lyrica 75mg 3x daily, Lamictal 200mg 1x daily, seroquel 600mg nightly, Robaxin 750mg as needed(muscle relaxer they give you in rehab) I think thats it, LOL, SOOOO what is everyone else on. I am bipolar by the way......ok lets hear everyones..
Old 02-03-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

OOPs, forgot Xanax Xr 1mg 3x daily and Xanax instant .25mg as needed. Ok, everyone else tell what ya take.....