Notices

Have I caused my own depression/bipolarism?

Old 11-14-2006, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy

Have I caused my own depression/bipolarism?

A year ago, I might not have been the happiest person ever, but I wasn't concerned.

But now, a year later and addicted to diphenhydramine (benadryl) and taking xanax irresponsibly for anxiety (probably an addiction as well, i take more than I am prescribed), I have been diagnosed as bipolar.

It really seems like I dug my own hole with the dryl, kind of manifesting a bipolar disorder. It really just seems like that, and the thought disturbs me.

It might seem kind of silly, and I didn't think that you could just force yourself to be anything, but I just can't seem to shake the thought that I did this to myself...
Old 11-16-2006, 03:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Did you mention the drug use to the psychiatrist? If not, let him/her know so they can better diagnose you.

I believe that drug use can mimic symptoms of mental illness; I also believe, as a bipolar sufferer, that people with mental illness often turn to drugs to self-medicate. I did it to "calm" my brain, so the mood swings would flatten out. Doesn't help in the long run.

Just make sure you give you dr. all information and make sure they're good and caring and willing to take the time with a proper diagnosis.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Spraak-

Assuming you aren't exceeding ohh, say 4mg of the Zannies a day, it is highly unlikely that you caused anything of the sort - just stop thinking like that, don't beat on yourself. I'm going to break this down by the drugs in question.

Diphenhydramine/Benadryl
An OTC antihistamine (anti-allergy) med many people use for sleep and of course also marketed as an OTC sleep-aid because it carries a strong side-effect of drowsiness. It is non-narcotic, and non-addicting in that you won't get specific or life-threatening withdrawals from it.

I've used the stuff nightly for years and years and years - hardly a good practice - but it is not known for "causing" a bipolar or depressive disorder.

However, when used as a sleep aid, it is habituating and dependence-producing if you use it every night. This is because anything you take for sleep, the body gets used to; even if non-addictive, the brain comes to expect that "nodding off, cloudy" feeling and before you know it, you a damned OTC "addict" who makes sure he/she is never out of liittle pink pills in order to fall asleep. LOL

Xanax
Entirely different story. By definition, non-narcotic because a narcotic generally refers to opiates or opioids which relieve pain as well as inducing stupor or a genuine high.

But it is a very potent benzodiazepine, in the same class as Valium and Ativan, etc. and is most definitely addicting.

Used together (simultaneously) --and this is generic information I'm giving out, not medical advice-- there is no specific contraindication that they'll cause psychosis or anything of the sort other than increased drowsiness.

Having said ALL THAT ( lol) - I gotta refer you right back to ccgirl and say make-a sure that your doc or pdoc knows your concerns.

You HAVE to communicate all your concerns spraak to your doc. Else, they can help you no more than we can.

Ok?
John
Old 11-18-2006, 04:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Originally Posted by spraak
A year ago, I might not have been the happiest person ever, but I wasn't concerned.

But now, a year later and addicted to diphenhydramine (benadryl) and taking xanax irresponsibly for anxiety (probably an addiction as well, i take more than I am prescribed), I have been diagnosed as bipolar.

It really seems like I dug my own hole with the dryl, kind of manifesting a bipolar disorder. It really just seems like that, and the thought disturbs me.

It might seem kind of silly, and I didn't think that you could just force yourself to be anything, but I just can't seem to shake the thought that I did this to myself...
Spraak;
Here's an informative article that may help ease your mind about "doing it to yourself." It's a bit like a catch 22 situation, really.
http://www.webmd.com/content/Article...m?pagenumber=1
Please do tell your doctor everything. S/he is the only one who can determine what you need.

Shalom!
Old 11-18-2006, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy

Thank you all for all of your help.

I've been completely honest with all the doctors and everything, and we're working on getting my mind all straightened out.

Thanks again for the help, guys! You all really do help.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

spraak....Don't blame yourself. Mental illness is genetic (although onset is usually envirnmental...but usually inevitable) and mental illness and bipolar disorder go hand-in-hand.

The best thing you can do is educate yourself about both and make a life-long commitment to yourself to keep moving forward one step at a time.

Hugs,
Jenna
Old 11-20-2006, 04:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

You need to be kind to yourself. I don't know anyone who would choose to have Bipolar disorder. Like someone said it can be genetic and nothing u did would cause it. I hope u are on a medicine other than the xanax for the bipolar since that is only good for anxiety. Take care of yourself and focus on how to get and stay well!!!!
Old 11-20-2006, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Wii
A SeaBird Living LandLocked

Red face

Originally Posted by spraak

I am too. I take it because I am allergic to just about everything. If I'm not itching I'm sneezing or blocked up. Then I also take it because it helps me sleep. It's a good drug for allergic reactions. when I lived near the Ocean I never had these problems. But spraak, I have to watch just about EVERYTHING. I get addicted to things very easily.

Oh yea, I almost forgot. I took xanax for a while a long time ago. After a while, I couldn't walk. It did something to my legs. I had to stop it. If you get any funny sensations in your legs and find that walking is becomeing a problem it could be the xanax.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Wii
A SeaBird Living LandLocked

Thumbs down

Here are the list of possible side effects of xanax:

What side effects may occur?

Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Xanax. Your doctor should periodically reassess the need for this drug.

Side effects of Xanax are usually seen at the beginning of treatment and disappear with continued medication. However, if dosage is increased, side effects will be more likely.

More common side effects may include:
Abdominal discomfort, abnormal involuntary movement, agitation, allergies, anxiety, blurred vision, chest pain, confusion, constipation, decreased or increased sex drive, depression, diarrhea, difficult urination, dream abnormalities, drowsiness, dry mouth, fainting, fatigue, fluid retention, headache, hyperventilation (too frequent or too deep breathing), inability to fall asleep, increase or decrease in appetite, increased or decreased salivation, impaired memory, irritability, lack of or decreased coordination, light-headedness, low blood pressure, menstrual problems, muscular twitching, nausea and vomiting, nervousness, painful menstruation, palpitations, rapid heartbeat, rash, restlessness, ringing in the ears, sedation, sexual dysfunction, skin inflammation, speech difficulties, stiffness, stuffy nose, sweating, tiredness/sleepiness, tremors, upper respiratory infections, weakness, weight gain or loss

Less common or rare side effects may include:
Abnormal muscle tone, arm or leg pain, concentration difficulties, dizziness, double vision, fear, hallucinations, hot flushes, inability to control urination or bowel movements, infection, itching, joint pain, loss of appetite, muscle cramps, muscle spasticity, rage, seizures, shortness of breath, sleep disturbances, slurred speech, stimulation, talkativeness, taste alterations, temporary memory loss, tingling or pins and needles, uninhibited behavior, urine retention, weakness in muscle and bone, yellow eyes and skin

Side effects due to decrease or withdrawal from Xanax or Xanax XR:
Anxiety, blurred vision, decreased concentration, decreased mental clarity, depression, diarrhea, headache, heightened awareness of noise or bright lights, hot flushes, impaired sense of smell, insomnia, loss of appetite, loss of reality, muscle cramps, nervousness, rapid breathing, seizures, tingling sensation, tremor, twitching, weight loss

Old 11-20-2006, 11:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wii
Side effects due to decrease or withdrawal from Xanax or Xanax XR:
Anxiety, blurred vision, decreased concentration, decreased mental clarity, depression, diarrhea, headache, heightened awareness of noise or bright lights, hot flushes, impaired sense of smell, insomnia, loss of appetite, loss of reality, muscle cramps, nervousness, rapid breathing, seizures, tingling sensation, tremor, twitching, weight loss
Everything I have underlined applies to me. I can't say enough bad about Xanax. The Xanax XR is extended-release so interdose withdrawal is not a problem but the pure-on, short acting Xanax is very good for one thing: Getting you hooked, baby. Of all the benzos, alprazolam is the most potent, most tightly-binding to the brain-receptor sites.

It is fiercely addiciting.

I'm withdrawing from it now, slowly and methodically, and this will be the last damned time I have to go through this.

As an addict and alcoholic, it has a very strong pull. When you first start, it seems heaven-sent.

Well, I quit alky 10 year ago. When I'm free of all benzos once again, that'll be it--I'm done. LOL

Forty-three in a month. Getting too old for this sh*t.

Ten
Imipramine, namebrand Tofranil, the first successful TCA antidepressant synthesized in the '50s, actually remains the standard by which all new ADs are measured in efficacy. The advent of the newer SSRIs, etc., are "better" only in their side-effect profiles, some having virtually none, whereas the TCAs typically carry the unwanted side-effects of drowsiness, difficulty urinating and dry mouth, to name a few.

Last edited by Ten Chips Down; 11-21-2006 at 12:14 AM.