Notices

BuSpar Revisited

Old 10-29-2006, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
On The Bus

BuSpar Revisited

My medical doctor is helping wean me off Tramadol. When I dont take Tramadol I always have major anxiety issues and near border panic attacks, they are terrifying like you are losing your mind.

Is BuSpar a benzo? Im not sure, but I dont think so. I think it would help with the anxiety, but people with past drug and alcohol addiction should not take it.

Anyone take BuSpar currently or in the past, and are an addict/alkie?

Info appreciated.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

BuSpar is NOT a benzo, Bozo.
(wow, say that three time fast! LOL!)

I am a cigarette addict, now clean 11 months today. I took BuSpar without problem.

Hope this helps.

Shalom!
Old 10-29-2006, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On The Bus

teach

Originally Posted by historyteach

Snickering loudly to myself.........
Old 10-30-2006, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Heya Bozo,

You want info, I got the lowdown. Yes I took it. No, it's not a benzo and was not effective at all for me. I'm saying this to you in full awareness that we're supposed to plant the seeds of optimism in one anothers' minds.

But my friend in this case, I gotta break with that etiquette, because it is fairly common knowledge that buspirone has been an abysmal failure in treating anxiety. People far more knowledgeable than I have christened BuSpar "the world's most expensive placebo."

It plain doesn't work, in clinical experience, in the real world. Also, it operates in a modality similar to antidepressants--will take two weeks or more to have any effect, and then it works by potentiating serotonergic and similar pathways--does not touch the GABA/BZD complex.

No, there is nothing contraindicated with past addicts/alkies taking it; it's just that if you're not a benzo virgin, or if you're an alcoholic, it is even less likely to have any noticeable anxiolytic effects for you.

But what the hey - give it a go; until then you'll never know.

(i rhymed )

It can't hurt and it isn't addictive.

Best,
-TCD-
Old 01-01-2007, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mental Clarity

My Story

If you look up the thread entitled "Buspar" by member 'angelgirl' in this same forum, which was posted on 11-21-'06 at 12:00 AM, I gave my personal take on my experience with Buspar. Post #8.

I would've just provided you with the link, but on the attempt a window popped up saying I needed at least 15 posts in order to have that priviledge.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

Here ya go, Hooch!
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...67-buspar.html
Thanks for joining us, and sharing your ESH, (experience, strength and hope) !

From my old counselor, I've heard that BuSpar doesn't work for all people. It did for me, and I'm no benzo "virgin." LOL! Guess I was a lucky one!
(Note I didn't use my favorite smilie, Ten! Where's the $100? LOL! )

Shalom!
Old 01-01-2007, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Bahh, on the First Day?
Of the New Year!?

It's in the mail, it's in the mail.

ps, ur mean
:tongue2:

Welcome Hooch, i hate your name. (Hey, it reminds me of hooch. lol)
Old 01-01-2007, 06:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Life!

MOIS???
What ever do you mean, sir???

Shalom!
Old 01-07-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mental Clarity

What Can I Say

Welcome Hooch, i hate your name. (Hey, it reminds me of hooch. lol)...Quote by Ten Chips Down.
__________________________________________________ _______________

I guess that's why I used it...reminds me, too, which is a good thing & let's me know why I'm here. If I went with something a bit more incognito, then I'd be 'undercover' and there's those that would think I'm a sort of know-it-all, or a holier-than-thou attitude. Gotta keep myself in my place.

In the end whiskey was my poison, and I guess the people around me and I figured "Hooch" had a good ring to it. The slang carries a lot of weight in drunken circles, and blends in well with the wasted days & wasted nights. Literally!

On with the topic...the Buspar has been my miracle drug. I've been taking it along with Paxil for over 12 years now. Anxiety is almost non-existant...life is good. BTW I was orignially introduced to the Buspar from a PTS diagnosed attack from a few students shooting a gun at me at the school where I work. It worked then and it works now. Nooooo problem. Whatever it takes to counteract the chemical imbalance in the brain.

Sometimes the same meds work for several people, but in many cases as well it takes a different med, or combination, or even doseage to make the connection in others. True it does take a few weeks or usually more to get fully into your system and do it's thing. Meanwhile we're just ginny pigs hoping & waiting. When that right pharmaceutical comes along though, it's the difference between living and suffering.

The wife and my son currently take Paxil as well. Just call us "The Paxil Family". LOL

Thanx for the welcome, and best of luck to you & all the rest.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: 24/7 How Am I gonna Get claen, when Doctors don't help me?
Before Xanax, worst Tranqulizer to start taking, anyhow Buspar did nothing for my panic attacks and even mild anxiety, this was wayyy before i was an addict and even booze.

BUT, I can realate to the panic and anxiety attacks while doing a taper off percocetes, i mean here i am on a taper from lets say 25mgs a day to 7.5mgs, the 3 rd day i thought i was going to go insane and Xanax did not help me at all, this could be that i have been on it since 1986, but perhaps it may have helped me deal if i was a newbie with it, hard to say, but the thing w/ geting of the percocete is the emotional and mental issues, I am not having any physical issues, i wished that i got those, but no oi get the other, which is a slow suffering way to go, by doing a taper down to stoping, I wished i could go cold turkey, but IF i had such a hard time back in 11/06 w/ a taper, how could i deal w/ a cold turkey? I would be so insane, then again, at east i think well get it over with, you know? right now, i am not clean, went on a lovely binge of pills (percocete this month, beer every other day, for effect, errrr here i go again me me me me...

Just like you to know your not alone and anxiety and panic is common with CT's or even a Taper down. I am surprised as to how many ppl get into Tramodal, does this have a opiate in it? Once at the E.Room I hited to do a scamm they gave me percocete and Tramodal, i threw away the Tramodal, b/f had it and told me it did nothing for him, pain or high wise, then again he was taking oxy cottin and perc's in high numbers to achive a high daily, not for pain anymore....
good to see your wanting to stop.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by historyteach
BuZar is NOT a ben-

i guess she was right.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LIL_Pebbles
I can realate to the panic and anxiety attacks while doing a taper off percocetes, i mean here i am on a taper from lets say 25mgs a day to 7.5mgs, the 3 rd day i thought i was going to go insane and Xanax did not help me at all, this could be that i have been on it since 1986, but perhaps it may have helped me deal if i was a newbie with it, hard to say.
Improbable, as Xanax is a complete different type of drug than Percocet.

"The thing w/ geting of the percocete is the emotional and mental issues, I am not having any physical issues, i wished that i got those, but no oi get the other, which is a slow suffering way to go, by doing a taper down to stoping, I wished i could go cold turkey, but IF i had such a hard time back in 11/06 w/ a taper, how could i deal w/ a cold turkey? I would be so insane, then again, at east i think well get it over with, you know? right now, i am not clean, went on a lovely binge of pills (percocete this month, beer every other day, for effect, errrr here i go again me me me me..."

No, not at all. Hi Pebbles, allow me to formally say hi and tell you that your post has helped me a lot in my present, nail-biting detox from benzos. By sharing your ESH, it tells me that I'm not alone, even though these are two different types of w/d's.

"Just like you to know your not alone and anxiety and panic is common with CT's or even a Taper down. I am surprised as to how many ppl get into Tramodal, does this have a opiate in it?"

Oh absolutely. It's an opioid, or synthetic opiate, comnonly known as Ultram.

Physical Dependence and Abuse
ULTRAM may induce psychic and physical dependence of the morphine-type (see DRUG ABUSE AND DEPENDENCE). -from RxList.com.

Thanks again Pebbles.

Ten
Old 01-08-2007, 04:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"In the end whiskey was my poison, and I guess the people around me and I figured "Hooch" had a good ring to it. The slang carries a lot of weight in drunken circles, and blends in well with the wasted days & wasted nights. Literally!"

Well, 10 years ago (almost eleven now, actually) I was able to completely say bye-bye to alcohol but unfortunately for me, I never did *quiiite* give up on the pilsl (the addictive tranqs - the benzos).

So, ya cut to 11 years later and I could tell you a sordid, mildly interesting story of two years on, two off kinds of stints with the those things. -- Finally hit my personal bottom when I found an easy way to access Klonopin and Xanax--the two worst possible BZDs to get caught up in.

They're the most potent; the most 'tightly-binding' to their respective receptors than anything else around; hence coming off them is a... a REAL ADVENTURE lemme tellz ya.

"On with the topic...the Buspar has been my miracle drug. I've been taking it along with Paxil for over 12 years now. Anxiety is almost non-existant...life is good. BTW I was orignially introduced to the Buspar from a PTS diagnosed attack from a few students shooting a gun at me at the school where I work. It worked then and it works now. Nooooo problem. Whatever it takes to counteract the chemical imbalance in the brain."

Well. You know, I might be tempted to give it a go again, once I'm completely free of my BZD dependence. I can't imagine my doc even batting an eye in protest.

"When that right pharmaceutical comes along though, it's the difference between living and suffering."

Right you are sir, and well said.

"The wife and my son currently take Paxil as well. Just call us "The Paxil Family". LOL"

LOL that's pretty funny. "Next! On Discovery Health, meet... The Paxil Pack." LOL

Thanks for the info and for sharing your experience with BuSpar.

Ten