Notices

effexor (sp?)

Old 10-26-2006, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

effexor (sp?)

so i've been taking zoloft and trazadone for a while now, and neither are really working at this point... so my psych is talking about switching to effexor.

does anyone have any experience with this? if so, please share. she said that there is withdrawl possibility like if you just stop taking it all of a sudden.

also while i'm out it does anyone know anything about seroquel? the traz has stopped working, so she said to try this, and take with the traz if needed... i notice (25mg) the seroquel doesnt do anything on its own, and i take with traz, still not much of a difference-- still waking up in cold sweats and sleeping rather restlessly.

anway thanks
Old 10-27-2006, 12:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have taken Effexor for about 5 years now. I tried several and this was the one that had the best results (tried Zoloft, Celexa, Trazadone and Serazone). I was stable on 300mg a day for quite awhile, but it had to be increased over this last year.

I also have taken Seroquel for 4-5 years. I started at 400mg a day, and over the last 4 years (as I went back to work and started becoming much more stable) I have slowly decreased the dosage, so that I only take it at night to help me sleep. I was taking 50mg a night, but have started taking only 25mg for a few months now. It works well for me. My doc is wanting to have me stop it and start Ambien, but I am wary about that because I have been doing well for a few weeks and don't want to make any changes.

there is a withdrawl possiblity for any psychotropic medication you stop suddenly, so it is best to slowly decrease it with the doctor's ok.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Someone on Effexor forgot to take it for a few days and slipped into a coma...poison if you ask me. I been on it myself for 6 weeks or so, made me worse, so I quit it cold turkey. I had no withdrawal but I'm weird and I wasn't on it long.

Marte
Old 10-27-2006, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"Someone on Effexor forgot to take it for a few days and slipped into a coma...poison if you ask me."

Just to note, this is what we call an "anecdotal" report. There is absolutely no correlation between venlafaxine by itself causing coma and no, it is not a poison.

John
Old 10-27-2006, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I am on Effexor, and have been of and off for years. I agree with TCD, there is no correlation between Effexor and coma's. It has worked great for me and many others I know. Seroquel is good for me for sleep.

Everyone is different as you know. But I wouldn't be worried about the coma part of it. It works great for millions. Good Luck
Old 10-27-2006, 09:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I take effexor, I was taking 150mg now up to 300mg. Seroquel work great as a mood stablizer and helps with sleeping. I take lamictal and that works well for the rapid cycling. They all have to be adjusted according to ur diagnosis. Take care of u that is the most important
Old 10-29-2006, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

I've been on Effexor once before and then on Cymbalta (it's cousin) and have been back on it for about a year now. It's been a great med to me and the side-affects have helped me stay med compliant which I struggled with for a long time until I got on Effexor.

So many people experience Effexor differently, but most feel the side-affect i'm refering to, which is an odd physical sensation that happens when you've gone to far past the time you should have taken your daily dose. So if you take it the same time every day....no worries.

There have been many threads here about Effexor and Cymbalta....so there is a ton of conversations in them if you care to scroll back through the archives a little.

Hugs,
Jenna