Notices

Zyprexa + Lexapro- any experiences?

Old 10-18-2006, 09:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Zyprexa + Lexapro- any experiences?

Just got out of the hospital, went in on 20 mg Lexapro and am coming out on 40mg Lex + 15 mg Zyprexa(also antabuse, but that's not really relevent). I know the use of zyprexa for depression is an "off label" one, but it seems to be working wonders for me. anyone else on this combo?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am not on Zyprexa, but do take something simular to Zyprexa-Seroquel which is in the same class of medications- and an antidepressant.

I don't know how much the Seroquel improves my depression, but it works very well as a "mood stabilizer" for me. I defenitly notice the difference if I miss a night of it. I have been on the Seroquel for 5 years now. I started at a high dose, and as my depression got a bit better, I have slowly decreased it to a small minimal dose.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ranae1221
I am not on Zyprexa, but do take something simular to Zyprexa-Seroquel which is in the same class of medications- and an antidepressant.

I don't know how much the Seroquel improves my depression, but it works very well as a "mood stabilizer" for me. I defenitly notice the difference if I miss a night of it. I have been on the Seroquel for 5 years now. I started at a high dose, and as my depression got a bit better, I have slowly decreased it to a small minimal dose.

yeah, the main difference I felt since going on zyprexa is this sort of calm steadiness. My brother is bipolar and I've often wondered if I am as well. Trouble is, I've spent so much time doing drugs and drinking that it's hard to pinpoint a manic episode! I really feel much more grounded now, it's the first drug they've ever put me on that has helped this much.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

I'm glad it's helping for you!
My father, a raging alcholic bipolar, has been on Lexapro for long periods of time over the years for depression diagnosis only (didn't know he was bipolar till recent) and it's not done well for him at all. He also will only go to a gen doc rather than a good psychiatrist so the dosages may be wrong for him.

I've heard so many people have problems with Zyprexa...at my home town mental health center a new pdoc came in and started handing out Zyprexa to everyone. I told him i refused to take it, but would be open to talking about the possibility of one of the other hundreds of mood stabailizers and he just wouldn't have it. Most who did take it at his direction just feel zombie like (which may be a really good thing for someone in the middle of a bad mania, but even one of my 'friends' who was ...it was too much of a drastic sudation for him to stay on it).

All meds are different ofr all peeps....go with what works for you and you alone ....and don't let the docs push you into things you don't feel comfortable with....once we've been going throught he med rollar coaster for a little while then we start to know much more about how our bodies/minds respond to certain things....and a doc can't know the same from a 20 minute appointment.

Make sense.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Eli Lilly Zyprexa linked to serious diabetes risk

Eli Lilly 3Q 10% profit rise is nearly all from psyche drugs including zyprexa.

How have they schemed to squeeze more money from their zyprexa cash cow when pill production has actually gone down?

ANS-Eli Lilly profiteers have jacked up the price of zyprexa to the federal govt,from the Medicare D payouts.

Eli Lilly is a big drug company that puts profits over patients.

They covered up findings that their Zyprexa has a TEN times greater risk of causing type 2 diabetes

Only 9% of Americans trust big pharma,right around the same rating as tobacco companies.

Daniel Haszard Eli Lilly zyprexa drug caused my diabetes
Old 10-20-2006, 11:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

zprexa

I gained 801bs on zyprexa (antipsychotic) in two months on my 37 year old110 lb. frame. My family said it was from age! They were just trying to be mean about it. I was always very thin. It can put you at risk for type 2 diabetes and heart disease. I myself am unsatisfied with the drug. They should warn people that it makes you gain excessive weight. I know someone that gained 200 lbs. I starved myself the entire 41/2 years that I was on it. What it does is it makes your fat cells grow, even if you don't eat. It takes up to a year and a half before the receptor site in your stomach sends the message to your fat cells to tell them they can shrink back to normal again. It has taken 11 months of being of the drug to lose 40 of the 80 lbs. I was underweight before so I will be happy if I lose another 20. My doctor said my body should return to its normal weight in seven months. It has caused me to become anorexia as I have been so unhappy with the weight gain! Be careful with it! I don't trust it. I think it is dangerous to your health and should be pulled off the market. Take caution!