Notices

Has anyone ever experienced this (swallowing)?

Old 10-03-2006, 06:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone ever experienced this (swallowing)?

Hi

Sometimes when I am experiencing anxiety or having a panic attack, swallowing food or even liquid can be like trying to squeeze an Ostrich egg through a funnel or maybe like trying to swallow while someone has their hands around your throat. Sometimes it can even be downright uncomfortable (or even ever-so-slightly painful like an irritated throat). Anyone ever experience this and could you describe it please so I'll know I'm not just imagining things?.

- Regards, BBG
Old 10-04-2006, 03:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Extremely common in anxiety disorders. It's a symptom listed when you look it up.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

i think you described it very well --
anxiety can make muscles tense/tighten up is all
Old 02-18-2007, 04:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow i thought i was the only one that went thru that.Depressed the heck out of me for yrs.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EDNOS - undereating

I don't know if this is anxiety or something else... but can it also feel like you've got food stuck in your throat? I get this feeling like I've got a big ball of dry bread stuck in my throat and I can't seem to swallow it down... does that sound like anxiety or is it just my mind or is it something else?

Thanks!!
Old 02-20-2007, 12:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes emotional distress, such as anxiety, can lead to difficulty swallowing or the fear of choking. Most people might take swallowing for granted, but for some who suffer with anxiety, difficulty swallowing makes every meal a challenge. It may leave you feeling like you are choking, or feeling like there's a lump, or something stuck in the throat. Difficulty swallowing may take more time and effort to move food or liquid from your mouth to your stomach. In some cases, you may not be able to swallow at all. The causes of swallowing difficulties vary, and treatments depend upon the cause. In some cases, the condition can be partially or completely corrected. Swallowing difficulties are definitely something that needs to be discussed with your health care professional. Often difficulty swallowing isn't cause for concern, and may occur only when you don't chew your food good enough, or you eat to fast.
I've also had a problem with this. When my anxiety and panic attacks were really bad swallowing just did not work right. I went through the whole fear of choking and all that goes with the anxiety. I can remember once having the opposite problem. I swallowed so much that my swallow muscles shut down and I couldn't swallow at all. I had to take medication to get it to work right again. Anxiety can do strange things to us.

I went to the throat doctor recently because I had pain in my throat. He told me it was due to the muscles being tight.

It's always good to talk to your doctor to rule out any physical problems. Acid reflux and heart burn can also add to the problem.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To make myself proud...

Oh yea, I've definately had this problem and it's so embarrassing, I've been with friends eating or "trying to eat" and my hands start shaking and my eyes feel crossed my throat is practically shut and my stomach is tied in knots. It's horrible, I just have to take deep breaths and be honest with myself and my friends and people are usually very understanding if you have panic issues, or they'll ask you a question like, "why is this situation stressful?" I hate that one. but I'd rather an annoying question than to sit there in fear not saying a thing.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

nope you are not imagining it--Been there--feels like your heart is going to explode and can be downright scary!! My doc told me to trydrinking ice water when this happens-affects the flight or fight syndrome--works for me...
Old 02-20-2007, 05:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

been there
Old 02-22-2007, 07:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Red face Swallowing panic attacks

I had a severe panic attack a couple of nights ago and thought I was going to stop breathing and couldn't swallow. I was fighting off a cold and took too much zinc (Coldeeze), which really dries your throat.

I'm prone to panic attacks as I had pneumonia a couple of years ago and would wake up choking and couldn't swallow. It felt like I was drowning.

So, I ended up pacing the floor for a couple of hours and taking sips of water, which I could easily get down. I also took a couple of advil and a little piece of a diazapine that I use for anticipitory anxiety. The swallow thing had been happening for several days and nights even before I was getting the cold. I started taking Lyrica again yesterday and it's resolved all my symptoms. I'm bipolar non-specific and have had a problem with my eye muscles and trigeminal nerve. I found a site yesterday that described how you can have swallowing problems associated with nerve pain. The Lyrica works really well, but I get tired and spacey if I take more than 50 mg twice a day. It's nice to find this forum and amazing to see others that have had problems swallowing. Thanks to all...
Old 02-23-2007, 07:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Due to my severe panic disorder I became an alcoholic. I couldn't swallow before drinking a few beers. One beer followed another after each attack and I was a mess. Now I quit drinking and I am still struggling with swallowing.
I hate anxiety.