Notices

Doctor Thinks I Have Adult ADD

Old 09-24-2006, 05:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Doctor Thinks I Have Adult ADD

The last time I talked to my medical doctor he said I should be checked for ADD and said I should mention it to my pdoc. He says all these years of being treated for depression and never really getting better could be I am being treated for the wrong thing.

I have done research on ADD and bi polar, but it is hard to diagnose myself.

It seems like it would be very easy for a doctor to misdiagnose a patient.

My 12 year old is diagnosed with ADD, I suppose it is possible I might have it.

Any comments?
Old 09-24-2006, 05:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

They changed my diagnoses from Bipolar to Chronic Depression w/ADD, which makes a heck of a lot more sense. None of the Bipolar meds helped, I was distracted, never manic. Now I take a tricyclic medication that helps with ADD and depression. I've taken Straterra in the past, which also helped, but I don't have insurance coverage for it. I was changed from tricylics years ago, to SSRI's...and never had any great benefit from them, actually made things worse. I finally demanded to go back on the tricyclic (they will use tricyclics for people who can't use stimulants), and it is like a whole different world. I can focus again, which helps tremendously in my recovery...as I get a lot more from the meetings, literature and phone calls. My doctor is treating another former Bipolar patient for depression & ADD and is also having great success.

Because I'm a recovering addict, my doc won't try a stimulant, nor would I.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Bozo,
I wouldn't be surprised if I were adult ADD too.

See, with folks our age, or thereabouts, the schools didn't have the knowledge or the resources to deal with all of the issues kids have. So, kids dropped out at a very high rate. Most did well, once they got a job that they could use their hands and liked doing. Some, sadly, did not. They fell, at a higher rate than the normal population, into drug and alcohol abuse.

I'm willing to bet, just from my knowledge of ADD and ADHD, that many of our members here at SR suffer from one of those two ailments, and have never been treated.

The reason I think I could be ADD is due to my very high distractability. I have to sit in front for services or classes, else, I'm too distracted to know what's going on.

When taking classes, I have to stop @ every 20 minutes to take a break from studying. Even then, during that 20 minutes, I have to constantly remind myself that I WANT to learn whatever it is. (Hard to do when I'm forced to take some BS class I really couldn't care less about!)

At home, say, I'm housecleaning. I start doing something, and then, start three other things before I've finished the first. It's really annoying.

Paying the bills is troublesome. I get hung up reading nonsense mail, or let it pile up to a mountain on my desk, (the condition it's at now.)
I struggle to get my students' work corrected in a timely fashion.

So, yea, I'm definately attention deficit. If I'm at the disorder state, well, that's only a matter of extent. So, to me, it's irrelevent. I have to learn to deal with the hand I've been dealt with. I have to learn to focus my attention when I need to. It ain't easy, but, it can be done --even when I don't want to.

Hope this helps....

Shalom!
Old 09-25-2006, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Teach

Originally Posted by historyteach
At home, say, I'm housecleaning. I start doing something, and then, start three other things before I've finished the first. It's really annoying.
!
I do that all the time. What is my best bet concerning getting checked for ADD? Mike
Old 09-25-2006, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jenna (Shutterbug) has this and has alot of info on it. I am sure she will be along soon.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

Your family doctor can assist you, Mike. Today, they are trained to know what to look for and what questions to ask.

I'd like to hear what Jenna has to say too, though.

Shalom!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
On The Bus

historyteach

Originally Posted by historyteach
Your family doctor can assist you, Mike. Today, they are trained to know what to look for and what questions to ask.

I'd like to hear what Jenna has to say too, though.

Shalom!
Did you take Buspar for the ADD?
Old 09-26-2006, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Life!

I've had BuSpar before, but, for anxiety.
I've never been treated for ADD. Never been diagnosed. I just know it cuz I work with kids all the time that have it.

I found an informative site with a screening test on the main page. Take a look at it.

I hope Jenna comes on to let us know what she's dealt with.

Wishing you the best.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Gotta Link?

I could not find the test(so helpless somedays, I swear!)
Old 09-27-2006, 03:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Life!

Mike;
I forgot to put the link down.
YOU"RE not helpless!
*I* screwed up!
I'll try to find it again.

Shalom!
Old 09-28-2006, 03:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Hi all,

Teach, thanks for alerting me to this thread.

Yes..there are many things that get misdiagnosed. I've read that around 50 percent of the time ADD is misdiagnosed for bipolar, and vice-versa. They show such similar symptoms that it's hard for any doc to get it right from just a visit or even a handful of visits.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend going to a general physician for ANY mental health issues. I mean, if certified phychiatrists have trouble misdiagnosing then why would anyone want to risk leaving it up to general doc whose primary training is not on brain chemistry? I wouldn't go to a foot doc for a toothache either

I also think it's really important for us to learn what BOTH are about and decide for ourselves, ultimately. And even if it turns out we are bipolar and not ADD....since they are so similar then many of the same coping skills apply reguardless of the true diagnosis.

And if you're lucky....you could be both! There are a lot out there like myself who have both.

So what's the difference btwn the two?

Well....mostly mania. If you have never gone through a manic or hypomanic episode then you are probably not bipolar -- however it is VERY necessary to read a great deal about mania to figure this out b/c not everyone experiences mania in the same way.

I was very hypomanic for years and hadn't a clue. I just thought I was more efficient and motivated than most people....I often cursed sleep and wished I didn't need it at all. BUT I didn't have the faintest clue that there was anything wrong with that...or that it was a mental illness called bipolar disorder that was causing it.

And the problem with mania is that it almost always leads to the drop - depression. And the higher up we go....the lower and harder we fall.

ADD on the other hand: has symptoms of mood disturbances, but not like that of bipolar....but it's still hairy to distinquish the two.

And ADD is often occompanied by things like issues with organization, distractiblity (as Teach mentioned), a need to keep ourselves busy on anything, trouble with math and spelling....procrastination...and the list goes on and on.

Here's a NAMI Website that talks about ADHD (ADDs cousin which can look like mania) http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Sec...ontentID=23047

And here is NAMI's online community page for discussions about ADD and ADHD: http://www.nami.org//Template.cfm?Se...icActiveFlag=Y

you'll have to sign up first but it's quick and simple.

Hope this helps
Old 09-28-2006, 05:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To Life!

Thank you sooooo much, Jenna!!!
I appreciate your coming here and your help here.

Mike, I"ve tried to find that particular test again, and can't. Goes to figure, doesn't it?

Shalom!
Old 09-29-2006, 05:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Anytime Teach....it makes me feel useful when I can transfer all the stuff in my head into help of any kind for someone; although, don't know how effective I am...but I like trying just the same
Old 10-01-2006, 01:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Fyi

http://psychcentral.com/addquiz.htm

I scored a 69 on this test and I was pretty conservative in my answers. However, I had a difficult time determing the results posted in the chart at the end of the test. As far as I can tell, a score of 69 is a pretty good indicator, although not conclusive, that I have symptoms of ADD.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Second Time

tried the test a second time and really, really tried to be conservative in my answers, this time I scored a 57. And upon further investigation I now understand the chart. I fall in the category of moderate ADD.

What that would mean to me and any future therapy is beyond my knowledge.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Bozo...just thought I'd take a moment to suggest reading up on ADD coping skills. In the workplace it wreaks havoc on my daily work. Names are among the most difficult to remember. I forget appointments and deadlines often, get easily overwhelmed and lose track of all sorts of things, have difficulty keeping tuned in during a meeting or especially when listening to someone speak who talks slowly, and i struggle a great deal with being late to work and appointments...and with my spelling.

These all have roots in ADD. There is SO much info on the internet and tons of books. I'm about half-way through a book I got about ADD in the workplace and how to combat it.

I never pay much for any books I buy since I love to shop at garage sales and book store bargin bins (and thrift shops are often a great place to find good books cheap).

Knowledge is power....and that is SO true in cases like dealing with mental illness issues. The more you know and learn....the more peices of your life start to make sense. It's really kin to getting to know yourself and learning WHY we are the way we are.

Learning about the subconscous 'whys' that we do in our lives is SO empowering and freeing at the same time.

So keep seeking answers and asking questions....that's one of the best things you can do.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

p.s. hope I haven't done or said anything to offend you or hurt you in anyway, and if I have, please let me know. Hugs.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Hell No!

Originally Posted by shutterbug
p.s. hope I haven't done or said anything to offend you or hurt you in anyway, and if I have, please let me know. Hugs.
We go way back girl, I dont ever recall you saying anything to upset me, you have always been honest and thoughtful, and that is tremendously appreciated. Ive always liked what you have to say!!!

And I bet Im not alone.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I would say if your son has it then there is a good possibility you have it as it is often hereditary. I would try the meds for the ADD and see if they help. Often ADD and bipolar can have the same irrational decisions, etc. Keep us up to date on things... Everything is so hard to diagnose w/regards to mental illnesses, it seems like a lot of the disorders, all the symptoms overlap, etc.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

i've not been diagnosed with Adult ADD - but - have been on ritalin and now Focalin (a form of it) for *anxiety* with wonderous results --- it slows my thoughts down to where they actually MAKE SENSE and i can FUNCTION

~Blue