Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Anxiety Disorders
Reload this Page >

Where are the sucess stories ? Well I beat anxiety pretty much

Notices

Old 05-09-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The answer for me was to just quit thinking the answer was in a pill, I tried them all when I was still sick. I was addicted to benzos then came the so called "non addictive" junk messed up years of my life.

Where are the success stories, I never heard in the 100s of groups or from the hundreds of people I met along the way through rehabs and hospitals that they took the "non addictive" pill and suddenly there anxiety was gone but I have heard many many many times side effects and worsened anxiety.

Seems like a sucker bet, many more bad effects then people reporting success.

People often think everyone else is "finding the right meds" and they are the exception to the norm, an anomaly. Thats what I thought till I noticed the lack of success stories both online and offline.

To each his own, do what you want but the answer for me was to just throw down my weapons (the pills) and walk off the psych med battlefield and instead listen and apply all the other techniques for combating anxiety I learned in treatment.

Call me Mr conspiracy theory but I think big pharma and psych know darn well they are doing more harm then good and are just addicted to the billions in profits they get from pushing pills on everyone.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sometimes if a person experiences a mental side effect, such as anxiety or sadness, he or she is likely to attribute it to something other than the psychiatric drugs, perhaps blaming it on a their life, a loved one or on their own "mental illness."

I was so lost in those pills for so long that is exactly what I was doing. It was not till it was all out of my system that I realized what was going on.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

AMEN!

When I got clean in rehab, they immediately diagnosed me and prescribed me a bunch of medications....I eventually decided enough is enough. I wanted to know what Jenna was like, on her own. No drugs (prescribed or not)!!

I practice what I read, I try to exercise off stress, to put my mind elsewhere and sometimes I just white knuckle my anxiety.....whatever the situation calls for I try a non-drug way to combat it and it has worked for 5 1/2 years it has worked and each day gets easier and easier. I still go through times where I struggle but they becoming fewer and further between and I feel stronger after coming through the other side!

"Doctors" are so quick to prescribe...
Old 05-09-2017, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't mean to be such a downer but how can I participate in this forum and be like the drugs never did anything but make my anxiety worse and give me problems but YOU should keep trying them.

This is the anxiety forum not a big pharma store front and I wont do it.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JennaRose View Post
AMEN!

When I got clean in rehab, they immediately diagnosed me and prescribed me a bunch of medications....I eventually decided enough is enough. I wanted to know what Jenna was like, on her own. No drugs (prescribed or not)!!

I practice what I read, I try to exercise off stress, to put my mind elsewhere and sometimes I just white knuckle my anxiety.....whatever the situation calls for I try a non-drug way to combat it and it has worked for 5 1/2 years it has worked and each day gets easier and easier. I still go through times where I struggle but they becoming fewer and further between and I feel stronger after coming through the other side!

"Doctors" are so quick to prescribe...

My last one after I walked off the psych med battlefield they tried to put me on Zoloft and Ability.

Excuse me but how is the very thing that screwed me up and paved they way to hospitals and treatment centers going to 'cure' me now ? I tried all that always made it worse.

I just told you sitting still is difficult and the number one side effect of Abilify is inability to sit still. I was not even 'shopping' for a pill at that place I had already learned my lesson to well but day 3 the drug pushing started.

I ripped into that doctor that thought I was another newbee. We did not get along after that. Send me back down that failed road.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fear of anxiety causes anxiety then it snowballs, I really had to figure the mechanism of that out in my mind before I got it under control.

If I catch myself in that loop I can stop it now.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've come to believe, finally after 50yrs of life, that there is a God. A source of energy at least. It's all in harmony. Unless we let our egos take control and make the decisions. We get so far off the path that is intended for us, It lets us know to slow down, shut the mind up, and listen.

I've also come to respect that our bodies really are the perfect vessel too. There's no medicine that man can create to beat what the universe / God has done. At least not yet. I doubt there ever will be.

Short term fix... Sure. But if we continue to let our ego run our lives, then it's only a matter of time before the energy of the universe builds enough energy to plow through it to get its message accross.

Sounds deep. Yeah. I may be crazy. But I've learned a lot in the past few years and my experiences have made me question life. To look harder at what exactly is going on. To at least open my mind to the possibility that I have a purpose. A very important purpose that has taken years to prepare for and I've had to experience bad events as well as the good events to ready myself.

I've never believed in God. Really... I still don't, at least in the terms presented to me during my Catholic upbringing.

But it's really getting hard to ignore there's a harmony to everything, and if we don't listen to the music and play along, it creates discourse.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
It's all in harmony. Unless we let our egos take control and make the decisions.
The only reason I "got humble" is becuase it is so much easier, its alot of work and anxiety playing the big shot but there is virtually no reward in it.

Someone thinks they are better then me who cares, I don't have time for that my lawn is greener then yours dumb game. That game is not Gods plan, I don't know exactly what Gods plan is but what is not his plan is easy to figure out.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BetterNow2017 View Post
I don't know exactly what Gods plan is but what is not his plan is easy to figure out.
I like that. A lot.
I read a book recently called "Get your sh*t together" which had referenced the power of negative thinking. She found her path by being aware of the things she didn't like or want to do. She took the steps necessary to remove those from her life and it led to bliss.

Perhaps that's the secret. With so many possibile outcomes for nearly every action we take, as long as we avoid what we think, feel, or know what is NOT the will of the universe, we'll find our way to the place where the universe provides exactly everything we need, exactly when we need it.