Notices

Facial anxiety symptoms

Old 04-16-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Facial anxiety symptoms

Hey all,

Well I just this site the other night I've never tried anything like this but it's been helping ALOT.

I originally joined because I was in a relationship with an addict which I lost my way in. I noticed there was an anxiety section so as the other section seems too be helping so much I thought I'd try this also.

I've always been an anxious and shy lad so it was before my problematic relationship although that's not helped. For me when there's people around me the first symptom I notice is my face starts to feel numb, mainly my around my mouth and abit of my cheeks. So when I try to make conversation with these people around me it makes talking feel weird I guess it feels like my lips are stiff and it takes extra effort opening my mouth wider, weird right?

The second thing I notice is as soon as I engage in anyone I raises my eyebrows as if im saying "UH". I noticed this is usually when the other persons talking, I think I'm doing it as I'm trying too predict where they are going with what there saying, I'm not sure this is the first time I've thought about it although I do notice I do it almost all the time. Also one eyebrow is lower than the other just to throw that in there.

These two things do affect my social life as I feel weird when talking too people because of them. If anyone can relate to this or can help me figure out what to do or figure out what's going on I would be really appreciative, thanks

Last edited by Muddled; 04-16-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Missed a part
Old 04-16-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Muddled. Not a physician, so I can't speak to your facial expressions when anxious, but I know about anxiety. I get a butterflies in the stomach feeling.
Assume you have spoken to your physician about this?
I use calming breaths when I am anxious. Slow breath in, hold for a count of 4, slow breath out. It helps a bit.
I also practice yoga and meditation, which also helps.
And I have two rescue cats, from whom I get great joy. They help calm me when I am anxious.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

honestly, it sounds like your thinking about it alot, which will immidetaly lead to the painc and anxiety, now if this all is taking place i bet its been your whole life, and now your just focusing on it, and thats not wrong but not needed

you probably have alot to worry about, and what ppl think of you should be the last, and i say that because thats where your end thought is, "man what are these ppl thinking of me doing this face stuff" whoooo cares, obviusly easier said then done..

if for some reason it is a medical condition, maybe your nerves or some mucsles tense up because of the stress and nervousness, you should see a doctor have them look at it, but if so like i said, thats you and you are beautiful for who you are no what your face does... if you think anyone is judging you because of it who needs them...

and if it really really bothering you that much, at this point a doctor like i said probably be your next option, but until you breathe, just breathe and say screw it its my face let it do its thing, it probably will go away...or you wont even notice anymore

i hope that help i jumped all over the place there, but breath and be happy
Old 05-05-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

I get this in my jaw a lot. having spoke to my therapist about it, it is a physical symptom of anxiety caused by muscle tension. double check with your doctor to be sure

what steps are you currently taking in dealing with your anxiety?
Old 05-25-2017, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think most people with anxiety just have a natural go-to motion or expression they go to when it starts to come on. For me it is gritting my teeth, blinking a lot, and opening my eyes wide as saucers. I have looked in the mirror during an intense anxiety attack and I almost looked scary my eyes were so wide. Facial expressions are something I have to be conscious of because of my anxiety.