Notices

B vitamins and anxiety increase

Old 01-20-2017, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

B vitamins and anxiety increase

Hello,
Ive been sober for about 2 weeks now. I have had anxiety for years and i self medicated with alcohol which only made things worse in the long run. So after quiting and going to the hospital for withdraws my doctor gave me folic acid (b-9), 200mg of b-1 and a multivitamin to take everyday... Well about a week into taking these vitamins my anxeity has gotten worse...i feel more and more restless, anxious and annoyed everyday. Today its been really bad and i got the idea maybe its the overly excessive amounts of bvitamins causing it. I came up with this idea just today when i remembered how i would take a b12 supplement and get paranoid so i stopped taking it and would feel btter in a few days. I also looked online and found out some people also have experienced an increase in anxiety while taking a b complex. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No, I take B12 shots and they, so far haven't caused anything but some energy but tat could be placebo effect. Sorry you feel anxious, hope things get better. I like walks, and baths or showers to calm down, music.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes,I can't take extra b-vitamins! I can tolerate the amount in a standard multivitamin but anything above that makes me sweat and my heart race,gives me insomnia, etc,I take the multi and just try and eat b rich foods
Old 01-21-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

B vitamins in large doses increases energy, also stimulating things like caffeine can trigger anxiety. I guess anything is possible, but you may just have an anxiety issue, or still problems with adjusting to the sober life.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR, khyzer35!
Old 01-21-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Call your doctor or speak with the nurse about this.

B vitamins can be over stimulating for some people. That being said, high alcohol use can lead to certain b vitamin deficiency.

Please speak with your doctor or his nurse about the side effects you are experiencing, and they will properly guide you. There should be a way to leave a message with the nurse practitioner at your doctor's office.