Notices

the worst cause of anxiety

Old 08-26-2016, 09:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the worst cause of anxiety

One of my greatest sources of anxiety is job interviews. I have one in a few days and my mind is already spinning and my stomach is in knots. The more I try to put it out of my mind the more I think of it. I've been struggling with an pyschological addiction to sleeping pills and boy do I feel like taking one now just to relieve the anxiety.

Any one else relate to this? Any advice?
Old 08-26-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Positive affirmations & deep breathing are helpful SF. Try you tube for confidence affirmations & listen with headphones....also great sleep meditation there. You will do great!
Old 08-26-2016, 10:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Mariah!!
Old 08-27-2016, 04:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I interview for promotions regularly. Breathing deeply and having a positive attitude is what helps me. I try to dress good which helps me feel good about the outcome.

Best wishes to you on your interview!
Old 11-14-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Job stress is the worst, isn't it?

I feel you, sixtyfour. I went through severe job anxiety while detoxing from alcohol in December 2015, because I had my dream job on the line but my current job was scheduled to end in January 2016. And it's real hard to banish the anxiety, because your job is your paycheck and therefore determines so much of your life.

Here's some of what helped me:

1. Herbal tea. Specifically, stuff with chamomile and lavender. Drink it constantly. You can't OD on it and it definitely helps you sleep.

2. If you can't sleep, exercise. I know it sounds miserable because you're probably tired and the anxiety is making you feel like your heart could burst out of your chest, but I promise you anxiety can't kill you. Taking a walk, swimming or bike riding can be great for anxiety. They force your heart into a completely different rhythm from the one the panic's giving you.

3. The worst they can say is no. "No" won't kill you, even though your body might be telling you it can. There will be more interviews, believe it.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Deep breathing helps. I used to freak a lot during job interviews. Before the interview take a deep breath it will help you calm your nerves.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One popular theory is that depression is due to some sort of 'chemical imbalance' in your brain . But the truth is, in most cases no one really knows why some people are depressed or anxious while others are not, and most likely there are multiple factors at play.

Among them, and perhaps most important, could in fact be your life experiences, and particularly your experience of traumatic events.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anxiety- yep, get it-me too. Do not rely on chemicals. See your doc about this- to manage what you take. Post here, see a therapist, go to meetings. Journal. Get out of your head space and do something different. Work out a plan of how to get better- instead of just hoping it will
Support to you, PJ
Old 03-02-2017, 12:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have you tried EFT. It is a helps. I know this is crazy - no pun intended but this method works for me.
1) On a scale of 1to10 ten being the highest grade your anxiety
2) Move your eyes left to right 20 times
3)Cross your arms and top your shoulder 20 times
4) Tap the outside of your knee 20 times
5) Regrade and repeat. I sometimes have to do it for a while to get down to a 5
If you do this in the mirror you may even laugh. There are some videos on youtube but this one works for me
Old 05-05-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

this is a good one, i always found myself the same way, and funny enough i would always ask when the interview was over, did i look really nervous? and 9/10 times they said no, so alot of it well we all know mental, but as long as you are

on time, prepare, and positive, OOOOOO smile alot thats a good one too

then what do you have to worry about , one thing always make eye contact and smile, someone told me that once and i feel it really helps, it will help you because your focusing on something, there eyes, to see if they are looking at you, and smile, so they know your having a good time and as long as they see those things (wow went on a how to interview tangent) sorry about that

breath breath and breath some more, focus on the job, find ways to take your mind away from spinning to something else... how many red cars did you see on the way to the interview, silly but it will keep your mind from roaming...

hope that helped and good luck
Old 05-09-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sixtyfour View Post
One of my greatest sources of anxiety is job interviews. I have one in a few days and my mind is already spinning and my stomach is in knots. The more I try to put it out of my mind the more I think of it. I've been struggling with an pyschological addiction to sleeping pills and boy do I feel like taking one now just to relieve the anxiety.

Any one else relate to this? Any advice?
The worst part of aniety is fear of anxiety itself.

Identifying a core belief is like solving a mystery of the illusions in your mind. You have to follow some clues to get down to the hidden beliefs in the unconscious. Let’s use the example of fear of job interviews.

Is that a core belief or is it is an emotional reaction to a belief ? The original thought was “I will have anxiety during the interview”

Sounds like a riddle but fear of anxiety is what always caused my anxiety for me anyway.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have recently decided my job is sucking the life out of me, so I started interviewing for jobs. I can identify with this anxiety so much!

I can't do relaxation exercises because my brain just won't shut up.
i have a strong conversation with myself before hand. I remind myself that the person interviewing me is just another human being and although they have something that I want, they do not have something that I cannot live without. I am at the interview because I am worthy of the job. I literally convince myself that I have no reason to be nervous. I know it won't work for everyone, but it does work for me.

I hope this helps.