Notices

Panic attacks, General anxiety and recovery.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic attacks, General anxiety and recovery.

I posted abit about this in the newcomer thread but this maybe more appropriate.

I'm 7 months sober, have a good job, go to 4 meetings a week, talk regularly to my sponsor, have a therapist and psychiatrist, but these past few days 've been hAving terrible anxiety and panic attacks. These were the same feelings that brought me to the bottle in the first place. I just hate coping because I hate feeling and it's unavoidable.

Any insight or advice?
Old 05-01-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaniBee View Post
I posted abit about this in the newcomer thread but this maybe more appropriate.

I'm 7 months sober, have a good job, go to 4 meetings a week, talk regularly to my sponsor, have a therapist and psychiatrist, but these past few days 've been hAving terrible anxiety and panic attacks. These were the same feelings that brought me to the bottle in the first place. I just hate coping because I hate feeling and it's unavoidable.

Any insight or advice?
I am in the same boat, buddy. I'm 5 months sober, and suffer from debilitating anxiety and panic. I have a good job, however am good for a lot of general anxiety and a random panic attack each week.

I was having a lot of anxiety before I quit drinking, and I know that's the cause of it. That's what caused me to decide to quit drinking. I wouldn't wish the feeling of a panic attack on my worst enemy. The anxiety makes it very hard for me to drive a car. And occasionally at work I deal with bouts of it.

I can't offer any advice but hopefully it helps to know you aren't alone.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
The only advice I have besides staying sober is to continually discuss this with your psychiatrist and therapist. I've had the same experience and don't believe it's unusual, it's just something we'll continually work through in recovery.

Last edited by Astro; 05-03-2016 at 05:17 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both for the positive words. I'm going to work harder and try to pray more. I know I can get through this but only if I don't drink.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I always wonder about anxiety, I go for periods without any and then it comes on chronic and fast,I wonder if its diet related, too many vitamins,I just dunno,its caused me many relapses but I refuse to go there again, just breathe through it I guess
Old 05-04-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have the same problem. Anxiety creeps up on me and I am always blindsided.
It is a condition that makes me feel so uncomfortable. I just hope it goes away in a timely manner. I pop a pill (nonnarcotic of course). I wish I was normal.. Hope you are feeling better.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The one moment I resorted to alcohol to deal with my anxiety and depression, it got me into a world of s***. Sorry for my language, but it really is the truth for me.

It's funny that I just barely decided to scroll down the forums a bit more and saw this section, maybe I belong here more so than in the recovery section.

I have been dealing with far more anxiety lately as a result of what I did to myself(DUI) and not drinking anymore. I am so worried about the future and what is ahead for me. I feel like I really messed up my life and all I do is obsess on the what ifs. Anxiety sucks--a lot, and few people really understand it.

Personally I have had to use prescription benzo's to help me in the worst-case scenarios. I use them sparingly, I have had the same prescription bottle of Xanax since last May(still half filled). I try to cope just like you do, and I try to either find a way to distract myself from what I am feeling worried/anxious about or I do what I can to give it to God by praying and asking Him for favor in this area...casting my cares upon Him.

I don't know if you have faith in any higher power or God, but I have discovered that and in many ways it has helped me.

I guess in my experience when I do feel that my anxiety is far too overwhelming, I do my best to give it to God, and if it gets out of control then I resort to the medications when I have to.

Keep coming to these forums if they help you--they have certainly help me.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Amen SA! Great post!
Old 05-16-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm no stranger to anxiety. I've been diagnosed with GAD, OCD, and Panic disorder. I also have bipolar disorder.

I'm a recovered alcoholic but my conditions haven't gone away, although stopping drinking definitely helped. I take a cocktail of meds (psych) to manage these conditions and I adhere religiously to the Rx instructions. Fortunately, I don't find myself having alcohol cravings despite my meds.

It's hard having comorbid disorders but my life is in control again. I am sober.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is an excellent thread.

A lot of intense sharing of a very real problem (anxiety).

I hope that everyone can seek professional help.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am dealing with the same thing as well but not as long as you have been sober. The good news is you have stuck to it. What helps for me is that every time I have those feelings I have to force myself to talk to someone. That generally helps calm me down. Good luck!
Old 05-21-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Same here...GAD off the hook....A little ADHD thrown on top....Spent all that time drinking to tame it...Quit 5 months ago and it is all back in full force like it never left, only amplified...Word of the week is rumination...I hate that word... :\

My therapist has me doing MCBT's...I hope it gives some resolve soon...

Prayers sent for your ya'll , may there be peace again at some point...
Old 05-21-2016, 10:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I have GAD, and I am very lucky that my psychiatrist has worked miracles on my anxiety. I am positive that I wouldn't be able to stay sober without the meds I'm on (no benzos) because my anxiety was so debilitating. I self medicated with alcohol just so I could do basic, normal things like go to restaurants. Anxiety is absolute hell, and I hope you find relief soon.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What is causing your anxiety? I found it really helps to analyze it and put things into perspective. What's the fear? How bad can it get? Some anxiety is there for a reason, like being near the edge of a cliff. Most of ours is not. It's excessive and often compulsive.

Also realizing that many triggers are subconscious.. the anxiety starts and I have to look at what triggered it. The ego remembers old emotional pain, but doesn't comprehend time. So an old event that may no longer be relevant may still be a trigger. I have to revise my filters and thinking.

It also is amazing to see how our thinking tends to make it worse.. imagining the worst case scenario, then playing that tape repeatedly. I tend to catastrophize many events or future scenarios, but my 4th step work helped me see the worst case scenario never came true. It's just my pattern of irrational fears.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Just joined, just quit (36 hours w/o)! The major reason I quit is because of the alcohol induced anxiety/panic attacks and I'm pretty wound up---I'm hoping a few days will see some better emotions and less of this panic. I feel hopeful.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Over a year clean and I quit boozing because of anxiety as well.

My anxiety has faded to nearly nothing. I still have a bit.

I made it through med free. It was very difficult.

I work out hardish...a few times a week...BJJ.

And...

I try to minimize sugar and caffeine.

These are the only things I do that maybe other are not doing.

Something about fighting for your life w a 200 lb. Man trying to break your arm might help me in day to day dealings. Makes sense to me.

I don't know what others feel though, so I can't offer advice.

I will say it gets better for me every day.

I know what anxiety feels like and boozing initially made it better, then it made it worse. That is how it goes.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noraak View Post
Hi everyone. Just joined, just quit (36 hours w/o)! The major reason I quit is because of the alcohol induced anxiety/panic attacks and I'm pretty wound up---I'm hoping a few days will see some better emotions and less of this panic. I feel hopeful.
I quit in large part for that reason as well. It does get better- you'll see it before long.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Norrak
Old 07-19-2016, 10:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support--and advice. 60 hours since the last drink and feeling a little uptight, but over all better. I'm really glad that I did not experience any panic attacks last night. I've always been able to put the bottle down for a while---at least a few days---to do other things when necessary, but this withdrawal, and particularly the alcohol-induced anxiety/panic attacks (which seem to be the result of extensive drinking nightly over a couple of months) just isn't worth the buzz!
Old 07-20-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Glad you are here, Noraak.

Please stick around and continue to share.

I suggest that you select and work a plan of recovery and not simply try to do it on your own.