Notices

Soooo Nervous About Tomorrow

Old 02-05-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Soooo Nervous About Tomorrow

So today I decided that enough was enough and I need to quit drinking. My goal is at least one month but I'm hoping that that month turns into longer. Anyway, I blew off work three times this week, and I called my boss today and she told me I was good to come in tomorrow and I wasn't fired.

I'm just sooooo nervous about it. I have terrible anxiety as it is and after six days in a row of drinking it's absolute hell. I keep thinking maybe if I drink one beer it'll be enough to calm me down but I'm terrified it'll make it worse and I just can't deal with it. That's a no-go, I made a goal today to get sober and I need to stick with it.

Right now it's almost 9pm, I don't have work until 630am but I can go in at 4am which would get me more hours.. I know I need to sleep soon but I don't even think I have any clean clothes and I haven't showered in days and just finding the motivation to get out of bed and take care of those things so I'm ready in the morning is terrifying.

How does one motivate themselves when they're so consumed with panic that they can barely stop shaking?
Old 02-05-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tenspeed, I'm not sure there is a quick fix, but you could try a long hot bath or deep breathing or both.....slowly inhale to the count of 7 sec, hold another 7 sec., and release breathing slowly, again to the count of 7. Repeat several times until you feel calmer.
I'm sorry I don't have anymore advice other than these 2 options. Longer term options are CBT ( cognitive behavioral therapy ), meditation, yoga & adult coloring books ( takes your mind off your anxiety. )

(( Hugs ))
Old 02-05-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. (hug)

It's really rough too because I don't have any health insurance anymore, so I can't just start seeing my therapist again or get myself new prescriptions for my anxiety/depression.. I hated taking those meds anyway and I wouldn't want to be on them permanently but I've just been feeling so terrible all week that I would be grateful to have them for a few months to help me get past all these terrible feelings.. but then that's me.. easier to put something in my body for a quick fix than to muddle thru the rough patch.

I'm trying deep breathing. It's helping a little.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You could take saint john's wort. It helps with nervousness/restlessness. Not so much for anxiety or depression.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tenspeedblender View Post
Thank you. (hug)

I hated taking those meds anyway and I wouldn't want to be on them permanently but I've just been feeling so terrible all week that I would be grateful to have them for a few months to help me get past all these terrible feelings.
Yea, you wouldn't want to be on those meds long term. I was prescribed klonopin for 10yrs & lost my doc suddenly. I was forced to quit cold turkey ( along w/methadone ) & thought I was going to die...for mos!

I put epsom or dead sea salt in my baths. They have mixtures made primarily for stress and they really work well.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang in there and try your best. Having a job is important and remember your boss said you are ok so just try and get through the day.

I may be late in this post depending on your time zone, so I will also say I hope you did ok and made it to work. I hope you are feeling a bit better.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am probably late posting too. If so I hope it went well.

If you have not left yet you must force yourself to get ready and go. Sheer will power. Remind yourself of the long term implications of not going. Because if you don't then the next time will be even harder and harder until you eventually lose your job

You are not working in a job where your current state could result in an accident to yourself or others are you?
Old 02-06-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are things tenspeed?

D
Old 02-11-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Exercise, like a run, always helped me.