Notices

Days sober.....

Old 02-05-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Intro, you might try natural sugars. Have a piece of fruit if you're having a craving.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Introvrtd1 View Post
I learned that SUGAR is partially to blame for most anxiety disorders.
I wonder if it's true then that people w/anxiety disorders crave sugar more than than those without? I'm having a very hard time giving up sweets, even though they're bad for me.

I agree with Astro about trying fruits.

(( Hugs))
Old 02-06-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm not sure about anxiety, but it's fact that alcoholics crave sugar. When I stopped drinking I couldn't stop shoving donuts and cookies in my face. I still struggle with it, currently I'm battling high cholesterol.

There are plenty of alternatives. They're a little pricey, but you can get a variety of sugar-free sweets and desserts. Sometimes even sugar-free gum works for me to overcome a craving.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
I'm not sure about anxiety, but it's fact that alcoholics crave sugar. When I stopped drinking I couldn't stop shoving donuts and cookies in my face. I still struggle with it, currently I'm battling high cholesterol.

There are plenty of alternatives. They're a little pricey, but you can get a variety of sugar-free sweets and desserts. Sometimes even sugar-free gum works for me to overcome a craving.
Yep! I have sugar cravings daily now! As much as I try to fight not to buy those favorite chocolate chip cookies in the deli section I love so much....I just get the baby carrots to snack on instead...

Sigh
Old 02-07-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I found I didn't need to punish myself with carrot sticks and such. There are plenty of options like taking fat free yogurt, topping it with natural peanut butter, and freezing it was a great treat. Also, a piece of dark chocolate helps to fight cholesterol.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

I think that long term drug addicts have intense food cravings too when they quit. I didn't just crave sweets when I quit, but ALL food. I was never full, no matter how much I ate. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the receptors in my brain....since they weren't receiving those drugs, it seems they needed a substitute & food filled that void.
I'm committing myself to a processed sugar free diet tomorrow, w/the exception of 1 dark chocolate bar/wk. I'm going to split it up into 7 portions & eat 1 portion/day.
(( Hugs ))
Old 02-08-2016, 02:21 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

I found I didn't need to punish myself with carrot sticks and such. There are plenty of options like taking fat free yogurt, topping it with natural peanut butter, and freezing it was a great treat. Also, a piece of dark chocolate helps to fight cholesterol.
I've grown quite fond of veggie snacks and no longer feel deprived of any guilty pleasures.....It's a much better option for my health, and besides, Ive had TWO whole Krispy Kreme donuts during the Superbowl game last night.....To think I could've had several beers instead makes me glad when I didn't wake up early this morning feeling like I regretted that decision! Im not much of a yogurt fan, but I hear ya on the chocolate, haha!
Old 02-08-2016, 02:25 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kzaug2014 View Post
I think that long term drug addicts have intense food cravings too when they quit. I didn't just crave sweets when I quit, but ALL food. I was never full, no matter how much I ate. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the receptors in my brain....since they weren't receiving those drugs, it seems they needed a substitute & food filled that void.
I'm committing myself to a processed sugar free diet tomorrow, w/the exception of 1 dark chocolate bar/wk. I'm going to split it up into 7 portions & eat 1 portion/day.
(( Hugs ))
I been there kzaug!

Food cravings slowly went away as I began to replace the junk food with healthy snacks. I like this much better than the beer and burger binges. I feel a heckofalot better in the morning too! Haha!
Old 02-08-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Day 56....

No anxiety for several days.....I must be doing something right....starting to venture out and drive to areas I would otherwise avoid...

So this is sobriety....hello my old friend....I've come to talk with you again....

It's getting better.....
Old 02-08-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

I think you're doing everything right Intro! You should be very proud of yourself! I'm so glad that sobriety is starting to feel normal for you!

(( Hugs ))
Old 02-09-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Sigh...

I freaked myself out tonight....a little hyperventing out of nowhere....

Got scared and brought back a little anxiety....uugghh

Sipping some chamomile tea and trying to relax
Old 02-09-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Hey Intro, I'm sorry you're having a rough night. Maybe you could try some soothing music or a hot bath? Fortunately, today is nearly done.

(( Hugs ))
Old 02-10-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I've been exercising late at night, going out on bicycle rides so I'm pretty wired when I return.

Chamomile tea and a hot shower are an immense help, I fall asleep quickly.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Sigh....

Feels like two steps forward, three steps back....

Its discouraging, but....

I continue to press on....
Old 02-11-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

I know it's frustrating, but you're doing great at pushing through intro! The further you get into sobriety, it will seem more like...3 steps forwards, 2 back....then only 1 back...then smooth sailing. I hope you're feeling less anxious soon.

(( Hugs ))
Old 02-12-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kzaug2014 View Post
I know it's frustrating, but you're doing great at pushing through intro! The further you get into sobriety, it will seem more like...3 steps forwards, 2 back....then only 1 back...then smooth sailing. I hope you're feeling less anxious soon.

(( Hugs ))
Sigh, I'm gettin there kzaug....

Thanks as always for the encouragement
Old 02-13-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

I figure all it takes is to have a tiny vitamin or mineral deficiency to put my body totally out of whack and send me into anxiety.......

Our body is a delicate balance of chemicals to keep us functional and sane....Now I understand why there are mental illnesses that plague us.....

sigh
Old 02-14-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Day 61......

Still some good days, some bad.....the bad day moments don't last as long as they used to....
Old 02-14-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Congrats on 61 days Intro! I hope you had a pleasant wkend!
(( Hugs ))
Old 02-15-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Day 62.....

Sigh...One day at a time....