Notices

PanicAttacks

Old 08-27-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

PanicAttacks

Just thought I'd write about this as I had a bad panic attack the other day

Something different happened though I started to talk myself through it and focused on my breathing & being mindful well at least trying it really helps

My therapist said its great I was able to do that I said yes but I didn't have control of the panic I simply was aware and took measure to counteract it

Just thought I'd ask what do you do when a panic attack strikes

Btw thank you to ScottfromWI its because of him I'm getting into mindfulness the concept & results really work

Old 08-28-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Prayer. A quiet place to reflect and meditate. Dr. Bob had a plaque on his desk that read:

Humility

"Perpetual quietness of heart. It is to have no trouble. It is never to be fretted or vexed, irritable or sore; to wonder at nothing that is done to me, to feel nothing done against me.

"It is to be at rest when nobody praises me, and when I am blamed or despised, it is to have a blessed home in myself where I can go in and shut the door and pray to my Father in secret and be at peace, as in a deep sea of calmness, when all around and about is seeming trouble. "
Old 08-28-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Breathing and being mindful definitely helps me. A kind of mindful meditation.

One thing I remind myself when I feel one coming is that the physical sensation I get is only a shot of adrenaline and nothing more. Just a natural fight or flight response.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I try breathing exercises - being mindful of something so automatic can really help to counteract the panic.

Urge surfing works too only replacing cravings with panic.

JMO, but trying to control the panic would only tense me up...trying to surf through it works a lot better and over time that's gotten quicker and quicker.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I basically do what you did.
Just realizing what is happening and talking to myself (in my head) seems to be working for me. I do the breathing, too. But I have to realize that early enough before it's taken over me.

I felt like one was coming on just after I got to my meeting yesterday, but I figured that's probably what it was and it went away.

The last bad one I had was a few months ago, but by the time I was heading to the phone to call 911, it stopped. The entire time I was telling myself 'it's just a panic attack' but the panic was saying, 'no, this is serious'. I guess the rational part of my brain won that one.

Nowadays, I feel more like I'm teetering on the edge of one, rather than falling all the way into them.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Since I've stopped drinking they have gone away, though I get a low grade one now and then.
What works for me is walking, particularly in nature/ someplace with lots of the color green. Green is a natural calming agent. I have some trails out in the hills near my house, and would walk them when I felt panic attacks coming on.

Chamomile tea is another great remedy. It always helped. I made sure I kept a lot of it around just in case.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks everyone & I'm going to try that D I didn't think panic surfing

Mindfulness is awesome

Thank you all
Old 08-28-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to have panic attacks all the time.......I stopped drinking caffeinated drinks.......and I do a lot of walking. Keep stress at a minimum and get the proper amount of sleep.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

This thread has really helped me I hope it might help others too
Old 08-29-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by GnikNus View Post
What works for me is walking, particularly in nature/ someplace with lots of the color green. Green is a natural calming agent. I have some trails out in the hills near my house, and would walk them when I felt panic attacks coming on.
I've been mentioning this on SR for years so I apologize for repeating myself, but sunshine and fresh air were the miracles for my anxiety and panic. Now, it's not much fun to be outside in Phoenix when it's 120 degrees, and early in sobriety I couldn't muster up the courage to drive north to cooler temps because that was a drinking trigger for me. Sooooo, I'd walk to the local school and walk laps around the track, sometimes in the middle of a monsoon storm!

Nowadays I will drive to a cooler climate and go hiking and fly fishing.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Waking has done a miracle for my anxiety lately
Old 08-29-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Great posts SW lots of good idea's too . I must of missed this Yesterday .
With my anxiety attacks they start slow then as it gets worse , I panic then I feel I can't breath . Panic sets in , before I know it I talk myself into thinking I'm going to pass out . Nasty things
Glad everyone's finding ways to work through them
Old 08-29-2015, 09:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do a guided meditation by belleruth naperstek on YouTube. If I can do this at beginning of the anxiety it helps to stop the build up. Full on panic not so much . Tried a new thing at 1 am panic wakeup... Went outside and stood in grass in bare feet and looked at Sky and stars, grounded to earth and wiggled toes. Did a moon salutation and felt panic dissipate.

Nest, I absolutely know what that kind of panic feels like. I did do CBT for it and the therapist asked, well have you passed out yet? Answer: no. CBT was helpful. I find SMART similar in dealing with addictions.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Sadie & everyone
Old 08-31-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hadnt had a panic attack in a long time but yesterday I was on the verge of one driving home,

it goes like this for me, bodily feeling>anxious thought>more bodily symptoms>anxious thought anxious thought>PANIC

However yesterday i just had the symptoms, heart racing, chest tightening, feeling like passing out but i just stuck it out and just focused on the road and driving, man it was tough and it lasted about 20 minutes! but it did pass, im reading a book on it and its helping,

Also getting on my knees and praying helps a ton, Ive never ever had a panic attack while praying
Old 08-31-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Just thought I'd write about this as I had a bad panic attack the other day

Something different happened though I started to talk myself through it and focused on my breathing & being mindful well at least trying it really helps

My therapist said its great I was able to do that I said yes but I didn't have control of the panic I simply was aware and took measure to counteract it

Btw thank you to ScottfromWI its because of him I'm getting into mindfulness the concept & results really work

(((SW))),
When I have them, I remind myself that 'it will pass'. That helps me more than anything.

I can have the panic wave whenever... in the shower, washing dishes,,, it will come, and for no really good reason, except that I have been super stressed lately. So, I deal with the stress and the panic moments lessen.

as you have more success at riding them out, they will lessen for you. Thats the good news. when you realize that they won't destroy you, they lose their power to frighten you as much.

hugs!
Old 08-31-2015, 11:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks guys
Old 08-31-2015, 11:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great thread!

I have an anxiety disorder and take medication, but my panic attacks have reduced massively since I got sober.
For me, I'm working on trying to become aware of anxiety building up in my body before it turns into a panic attack.
The process I go through is feel the physical sensation, take a few minutes away from the situation away from everyone, take deep breaths and talk to myself. I tell myself that it's not going to kill me, that the adrenaline will pass and that I'm safe.
If anyone hears me talking to myself in the toilet they probably think I'm nuts, but it does work haha!
Old 09-01-2015, 01:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks JaneLane
Old 09-01-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JaneLane View Post
Great thread!

I have an anxiety disorder and take medication, but my panic attacks have reduced massively since I got sober.
For me, I'm working on trying to become aware of anxiety building up in my body before it turns into a panic attack.
The process I go through is feel the physical sensation, take a few minutes away from the situation away from everyone, take deep breaths and talk to myself. I tell myself that it's not going to kill me, that the adrenaline will pass and that I'm safe.
If anyone hears me talking to myself in the toilet they probably think I'm nuts, but it does work haha!
That's a great technique to use. One piece of advice is anything good that you tell yourself is true while you are having a panic attack for example, "I'm safe, this will pass, you aren't going to die etc."

I've also found that talking to myself like I'm my own best friend works too. It sounds odd but it works. If your best friend was right beside you while you were having a panic attack what would he/she say to you? Things like, "Calm down" "You are safe" "Nothing bad is going to happen" "It's just a feeling" etc.