Notices

Social anxiety and NA

Old 08-02-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Social anxiety and NA

I've been going to NA meetings the last couple of weeks. I like it, but my social anxiety is getting in the way. I'm very quiet there, and I'm too afraid to share anything. I have the feeling that everyone thinks I'm weird. This won't stop me from going, though. Maybe things will get better with time. I was just wondering if anyone on SR has the same problem? Thanks for reading!
Old 08-03-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Keep going! We all attend meetings for the same reason and it's not unusual for the newcomer to not feel welcome at first. It took me months to feel like I fit in. Now I can't get enough of meetings and Fellowship
Old 08-03-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply, Astro. I'll keep going, and hopefully I will feel more at ease sooner or later.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I was the same only at aa mtns i totally agree with astro
Old 08-26-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Agree, keep going!

What works for me is to realize that even if I'm always uncomfortable, and even if everyone thinks I'm weird (they don't), and even if I never say anything, and even if the worst happens, I'm still getting help so I have to go.

Often, after a while, during the time I'm usually talking myself up and getting the courage to go, I realize that I'm not that uncomfortable anymore. If I'm lucky, I actually start looking forward to it.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My home group knows I don't ever talk I have always pass other that twice. I can't stand speaking in front of people. But I always hear something that I needed to. Everyone is there to get better and all you want to do is listen that is what works for you.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I was like that greeneyed
Old 09-12-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'd say find another meeting to go to. I went to one meeting for several years and never felt welcome from day one. At a certain point I just quit going because I felt that I must be incompatible with AA on some fundamental level. Then, severely hung over one afternoon, my ex girlfriend took me to a meeting near her home. I immediately felt at home and that has been my homegroup ever since. I know I do better with small groups myself so if this is a big meeting, perhaps you'd want to try a smaller one.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I find myself having the same problem when I go to meetings. But at the end of the day I remind myself that all the people in that room has been troubled by some of the same things I have. Getting yourself heard can really feel great.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I go to AA and I'm going through the same thing.

What really helps me is to start small. Just say you're grateful to be there and thank everybody for their honest shares. Do that a couple times and then add something more personal, even if one sentence.

Another thing that helps me is praying to my Higher Power for courage to share.

Baby steps. No one came in being an expert in sharing, trust me.

Good luck and don't give up. You'll get there.