Notices

PTSD, hopeful share from a blog

Old 05-29-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PTSD, hopeful share from a blog

(Hope it's ok to post this link here!). Learning more about PTSD has been important to me, and I wanted to share (what I think is) interesting and thought-provoking information I found in an online blog:

How To Explain Trauma To People Who Don't Get It | Trauma! A PTSD Blog - HealthyPlace
Old 05-29-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes!! This is Excellent- whenever I tell people I have ptsd the first thing they ask me is if I served in the military - it almost makes me feel like I'm not allowed to claim ptsd bc I never served, how ridiculous is that. I'm working on finding a really polite way to say " a majority of ppl with ptsd have never set foot in the military " bt then it's such a sensitive issue .
Old 06-21-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Greens.....that's the perfect response......Just start it w believe it or not......and then your line.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hopeful

Thanks for sharing that link. I have just begun a PTSD treatment process called Prolonged Exposure Therapy. I also struggled with accepting/understanding that I could have PTSD. I, as someone mentioned, thought of PTSD only as it was connected to military personnel. I know, for a fact, that my abuse of alcohol is directly related to my symptoms. When I don't want to "feel" or remember the events, I want some wine. NOT the answer. I am hopeful about the treatment and my recovery.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you so much for this
Old 06-30-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah I agree. Most people think of the Vietnam or Iraq war vets. I was the same. I asked somebody here the other day if they knew what it was and they told me yes.

I said well, what is it? And they told me that sure everyone knows what it is, and that they aren't stupid. But was unable to say what it was. I said I was unsure myself.