Notices

Health anxiety/headaches/quit?

Old 03-04-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health anxiety/headaches/quit?

Hi all,

I'm a 25 year old male that feels like he's going on 55 due to an ever growing list of ailments and health problems which I believe are related to my alcohol consumption

As I lay here in bed trying to get to sleep at 2am, I'm really genuinely thinking about giving up the drink for a while.

I've been drinking about 3-5 a day and 30+ over the weekend for a few years now. The last couple of years hade been bad... I've had panic attacks that have put me in the ER, my gallbladder removed, surgery on my tendons after a drunken bar fight, 3rd degree burns to my hand from
A drunken mishap & most recently admitted to hospital for severe headaches.

I do not feel well at all, i have headaches daily which leave me bed ridden. Doctors have given me the all clear with bloods, CT scan, lumbar puncture & MRI. For half of my day every day I am googling and obsessing over my health convinced that something is wrong ...!!!

I'm starting to think that alcohol is the key culprit for me feeling so unwell and anxious.

I guess I'm looking for some support and reassurance... How were you all feeling when you decided to quit ? Or, if you haven't quit, how are you feeling now both physically and mentally ?

Lastly... If you have quit, how are you feeling now?

Appreciate the support and thanks for reading
Old 03-04-2015, 09:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, I can relate. I am 34 and I felt like I was 104 some days. I had so many aches and pains, and GI issues, headaches and the worst was (still is) anxiety. I don't have a lot of advice as I am only 8 days sober but I was a binge drinker. I would drink about every 2-3 days and really tie one on. Vodka was my vice. I had been getting anxiety worse and worse, my biggest anxiety was about death, I worried all the time until I would give myself panic attacks, about my family dying. No one was even sick but it was my biggest worry for some reason. Anyway Since I stopped drinking I feel my anxiety has toned done a bit. Not gone that is for sure, but much better. I have talked to a lot of people who all agree alcohol only makes anxiety worse. My therapist said I had to stop as it was making me anxiety worse as well. So far so good. Am I cured, no way, I have a long way to go. Like I said I am only 8 days sober, but I figure it can only get better from here. I really think if I kept drinking like I was, I would not live a very long life. If you feel ready to quit, do it! I am telling you even at 8 days I am so thankful to have not picked up that drink every time I felt like just giving in. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iquit992 View Post
Hi all,

I'm a 25 year old male that feels like he's going on 55 due to an ever growing list of ailments and health problems which I believe are related to my alcohol consumption

As I lay here in bed trying to get to sleep at 2am, I'm really genuinely thinking about giving up the drink for a while.

I've been drinking about 3-5 a day and 30+ over the weekend for a few years now. The last couple of years hade been bad... I've had panic attacks that have put me in the ER, my gallbladder removed, surgery on my tendons after a drunken bar fight, 3rd degree burns to my hand from
A drunken mishap & most recently admitted to hospital for severe headaches.

I do not feel well at all, i have headaches daily which leave me bed ridden. Doctors have given me the all clear with bloods, CT scan, lumbar puncture & MRI. For half of my day every day I am googling and obsessing over my health convinced that something is wrong ...!!!

I'm starting to think that alcohol is the key culprit for me feeling so unwell and anxious.

I guess I'm looking for some support and reassurance... How were you all feeling when you decided to quit ? Or, if you haven't quit, how are you feeling now both physically and mentally ?

Lastly... If you have quit, how are you feeling now?

Appreciate the support and thanks for reading
I would say alcohol is soley responsible. I noticed health changes after i stopped. I mean everything i felt better physycally and mentally 100% better.

I was like u, im 32, drank 7 years every single day and then 3 more of weekend only binge drinking. A total of 10yrs, started around when i was 20. On my 7 yr binge it was an average of 4-24ozers of budwieser every single day for 7 years. A never ending hangover. I would tell myself each morning i wasnt gonna drink today and by the time i was gettin out of work my body was begging for it. on the 3 weekend it was bud light, all the time smoking 420, if i couldnt drink i didnt want to smoke and vice versa, and i had to do at least 1.

I have anxiety solely that i blame on all that alcohol. I got to the point if i wasnt drinkng i couldnt even go into a store because of anxietty. I would literally walk around with a gas station plastic cup full of beer inside grocery stores or wherever. Hardly eat, maybe a cup of soup a fay, if i ate even a burger i would feel very naseous and light headed, stomach would hurt. I hardly ate sober.

I stopped after a panic attack and trip to er. Anxiety wasvery strong for a good 4 months didnt even want to drive at first.

Long story short its a year fully sober is past feb and ive never felt better. Exercise n eat healthy now, the only thing imdrink is water. The anxietty hasnt fully left but i can control it better.

Physically in best shape since i was in my 20s and feeling better than ever. I fully regret drinking so much. I felt reborn my first day sober.

some tips to stop...

Dont stop from one day to the next,,, for example if ur drinking 5 drinks keep doing those same 5 but replace 1 for a similar but weaker. Do that once a week on a set day for a couple of weeks, then add a 2nd day and keep doing that. If ur having anxeity its best to taper off slowly.

Also u will likely have a huge sugar craving

If u want feel free to pm
Old 03-12-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm quite sure alcohol can make anxiety worse, but it's also possible to have anxiety even if you never drink alcohol. I have never had problems with alcohol, I don't even drink. But, my dad is an alcoholic, and I inherited the same anxiety that has fueled his alcoholism.