Notices

Lexapro experiences anyone?

Old 01-19-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lexapro experiences anyone?

Was just prescribe this medication for Anxiety/PANIC attacks.
Not looking for medical advice, just your experiences while taking it.
Did it help? Pros/cons of this drug in your opinion? Would just like to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I took paxil, then celexa (Lexapro's older brother) years ago specifically for my anxiety and panic attacks. I had a tough time during the first 4-6 weeks, as people tend to get worse first before getting better. I stuck it out and yes, the medicine was a god send for panic attacks and anxiety. The downside is I gained 50+ pounds and drank excessively (don't know if drinking was part of the meds - definitely the weight gain was).
Old 01-20-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I took Lexapro as well as another prescription that I can't remember the name of now. Didn't care for either, they made me feel more dark and depressed. During a brief stay at a behavioral center I was put on Paxil but upon release I was taken off it due to it being addictive. I finally settled in with EffexorXR for a year but it took a good 6 weeks for it to be fully effective.

Please remember that we all have different chemistry, so what works for one might not work for another. Also, if taken as prescribed, none of them should be taken in conjunction with alcohol. Too often I've observed that to be a deadly combination.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I started taking Lexapro about 9 months ago. At the time, I had just under 2 years of sobriety under my belt. My doctor recommended it because my anxiety had remained at a very high level - sobriety alone had improved my anxiety, but it was still a major problem. Lexapro has been a wonderful solution for me. I take a very low dose every morning with breakfast. My anxiety is almost completely an afterthought. It worked for me. Some thoughts:

1. The first few days taking it, I felt a bit sluggish.
2. This drug takes a long time to start "working". It's very, very gradual. Don't expect to feel better in a day, or a week. In my case it was about 1.5 months until I noticed improvement. Patience is key.
3. As people say, everyone's chemistry is different.
4. Side effects included a very small weight gain, which I was able to lose back pretty easily. Also, sexual side effects have been noted, but it didn't effect me too badly.

DO NOT DRINK on this medication. If you're sensitive to anxiety, I believe it means that you're very sensitive things like medication, alcohol, etc. Mixing all this stuff together is not recommended and can be dangerous. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I currently take Lexapro. I LOVE my lexapro! It has deff. helped me get back on my feet. The first time I took this med i was on it for 8 months and I did not gain weight. I been on it for over a year now and I gained more than 30lbs. I dont know if lex is to blame though. I started taking 5mg then went up to 10mg to 15mg to 20mg. now im down to 10mg Im quitting. hopefully i wont have to go back on it. But if i was to stay on it i would always use lexapro. I also use ativan as needed.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
p***enger

I've been on it about 11 months -- my experience was like bigsombrero's -- sluggish start, benefits before 2 months, I'd say the effects kicked in fully around 5 months. I also take a little xanax at night for anxiety. No weight gain, no side effects except headaches but that might be residual anxiety. I resisted psychopharm for 3 decades and now they'll have to pry the anti-ds from my dead hands.

Just my personal experience, strength, and hope. Medication works differently for each individual but for many, it can be a real benefit. I wish you the best!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Any and all side effects that you have experiences: dry mouth, fainting etc???
This drug I have never taking, scared.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I never had noticeable side effects from anything I took aside from some dark thoughts, and that's what scared me into not continuing to use them.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Took Zoloft for a number of years then came off it and my anxiety issues have seemed all but cured. Maybe I just grew out of it. The only side effect I noticed was some emotional blunting while on it.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Hello Tallcactus,

I have been on Lexapro, it worked very well for awhile for me, however I needed to keep raising my dose up cause I felt like it certain times it wasn't working. When I finally got to the dose I need, which was 500 mg was to high for me, due to not feeling anything. I couldn't cry, get mad, and stuff.

When I was working, I worked at Kroger for 6 years, and I didn't cry or get mad at a customer calling me names. But, I thought this wasn't healthy for me, if I couldn't feel my emotions. So, I cold turkey the whole Lexapro.

Now, since I am not on any medication, I feel like my anxiety is worse.

I am just giving you what my experience is, I would ask your doctor if that might be good for you.

I hope this helps...
Old 02-12-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been taking Lexapro and Buspar for the past few months and they seem to be working well as far as my anxiety goes. I still have some anxious days (or periods within the day where I'm anxious), but these don't last very long. The roller coaster ride of PAWS has been rough...I don't wish it on anyone!
Old 03-04-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I took it for 8 months roughly

Lots of nasty side effects however my anxiety was completely gone...

It was a bitch to come off of though, very horrible withdrawal symptoms

Saved me from a very very anxious time in my life

Had to quit because it made me gamble and drink more than I already was...! Things didn't feel 'real' and i didn't like not having normal emotions like sadness anger etc
Old 03-12-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was on Lexapro for about a year and just recently got off of it. I still had anxiety and depression while on it, so it just felt like it wasn't really working. It did at first, but that went away. On top of that it took away my libido 100%.
The withdrawal systems were terrible and lasted almost 2 weeks.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I only took Lexapro for 3 months it did make me very tired and the big thing is I gained 15lbs (I have an eating disorder so mentally that did a lot to me) never helped with anxiety. It's funny I did take Celexa for couple of years and it worked up until the last 6 months. I just started Brintellix no side effects only been on it 6 weeks and just mild changes so far which I know that is what you want