Notices

Panicking about my health

Old 12-22-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panicking about my health

Sciatia back problems for a week. ER Saturday morning. The Doctor wanted to give me a cocktail of dilaudid, flexorill, and ativan. I refused all but the dilaudid. Been off of Xanax since February, and I didn't want anything to do with the ativan. I am afraid of drugs and their effects. Long story short, I have been to my Chiropractor nearly every day. Went today and had to go back because I didn't feel right, naseaus (sp), anxiety, body especially neck out of place, so I let him do a full adjustment. Now I am panicking that he made it worse, but I really know deep down, one can be sore after adjustments. I suppose my question is has anyone experience being anxious when there is something just wrong with our bodies, and how do others get over it. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was very anxious about my health after I got clean and sober.
I don't think I could believe I got off so lightly...

In time, I relaxed - I hope you will too
Old 12-22-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee, you are always here for us. I am trying to leave my history of panic attacks where they belong, in the past. No booze for 6 months now, no drugs. It takes some getting used to, to deal with reality in our daily lives. Much appreciated, I suppose I just needed to get this out.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I tend to get a lot of anxiety about my health, especially if I think I have a disease. I create more dis-ease than the real thing. It's just part of my GAD. I have to work on it, exercise, etc. By the way, yoga solved all my back problems once and for all. Did chiropractors for years before that - that will never provide more than temporary relief, imho. Yoga also provides a meditative effect that reduces the anxiety. Good stuff.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
I tend to get a lot of anxiety about my health, especially if I think I have a disease. I create more dis-ease than the real thing. It's just part of my GAD. I have to work on it, exercise, etc. By the way, yoga solved all my back problems once and for all. Did chiropractors for years before that - that will never provide more than temporary relief, imho. Yoga also provides a meditative effect that reduces the anxiety. Good stuff.
My chiropractor also teaches yoga and taichi. I really want to do it. I am going to try although I have screws in my left knee. Maybe there is a way I can. Couldn't sleep last night as the pain was so bad, but today I feel a bit better. Going to get an MRI soon. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ok haven't had that. Praying for you
Old 12-30-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by Straightshoot View Post
I suppose my question is has anyone experience being anxious when there is something just wrong with our bodies, and how do others get over it.
Hi Straightshoot. I get anxious when there is something wrong with my body. Something that works so well for calming the anxiety is to do an epsom salt bath or even just an epsom foot bath. Then I feel like a calm, meat tenderized human being. Did the chiropractor suggest heat for the lower back? Breathing and stretching exercises help with the anxiety so the tension does not take hold and snowball. I have a great meditation pillow that I hug in my lap while sitting cross legged...this seems to de-stress as well. Hang in there.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, yes all the time I would worry that ailments were a result of my drinking. In this case for you it is virtually certain that your sciatica is not alcohol related though it can be extremely painful. Stay clean, be healthy and practice your exercises and try to chill out!
Old 12-31-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LeTheVerte View Post
Hi Straightshoot. I get anxious when there is something wrong with my body. Something that works so well for calming the anxiety is to do an epsom salt bath or even just an epsom foot bath. Then I feel like a calm, meat tenderized human being. Did the chiropractor suggest heat for the lower back? Breathing and stretching exercises help with the anxiety so the tension does not take hold and snowball. I have a great meditation pillow that I hug in my lap while sitting cross legged...this seems to de-stress as well. Hang in there.

Thanks. I will try the Epson salts foot bath. I am alternative heat and cold on my back, and taking aspirin. I do stretches a few times a day. Just scheduled an MRI took a long time to see the Doctor. I refused a shot and drugs he suggested and told him I wont even take the drugs the hospital gave me. Stubborn.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Ok haven't had that. Praying for you
Thank you Pam, that means a lot. Hope you are doing okay.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Hi, yes all the time I would worry that ailments were a result of my drinking. In this case for you it is virtually certain that your sciatica is not alcohol related though it can be extremely painful. Stay clean, be healthy and practice your exercises and try to chill out!

I am just sleep deprived at the moment. Just picking up to heavy a load at work did it. I have been clean from pills almost a year, and alcohol since late June. Thanks for your input.