Notices

Verbal and Emotional Abuse - Residual Anxiety

Old 11-05-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Verbal and Emotional Abuse - Residual Anxiety

I would like to welcome anyone who has been in a relationship with an emotionally/verbally abusive spouse/partner to comment on the residual effects of the trauma. I feel like I have anxiety when I talk to men now, like I still walk on egg shells a bit and I’m afraid to be myself. Almost like I have lost a bit of my identity and I’m still not in touch with it. I have not sought out counseling yet. I guess I need to.
My questions are: what are some of the residual effects of the emotional trauma you experienced? What did you do to try to resolve these scars?
Thanks to all. Love and light.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Helloooooooo.

Just took time to find myself, and I never actually noticed I changed but everyone else noticed.
It took some time, maybe a year after we broke up to stop being scared of him and see him for what he was which is a weak person, and he doesn't even bother me now. Although it took him almost two years to stop stalking me and take a hint. I went to the police in the end, he actually rented a property on my street to stalk me, creepy or what!
At first I didn't go to the police becuase he always threatened to kill himself and guilt trip me, but after the years it got to the point I was like, well you know what, ******* kill yoirself then you're a pain in the arse. Well I didn't actually say that to him but the threats didn't work anymore becuase in the end I had no feelings for him, even pity had gone.
But he's still single, and he was seeing someone who apparently broke it off after a few weeks saying he was too aggressive.

Time and distance resolve the scars. Well for me it did.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm the same way. I was in a long term relationship with a woman I really cared about but she had a short fuse, and once she got angry I didn't cope well. Everything had to be hashed out, and she would dominate the argument, oftentimes not allowing me to explain or make a point without another rebuttal coming at me. It was always my fault, and I carried a lot of guilt and shame. Phone calls were just as abusive, except that I could hang up.

My general manner of coping, because I hate confrontation, would be to just retreat, and stuff my feelings. That's what we did in my family growing up. I also found myself watching what I would say, not bringing things up because of the fear of another argument occurring.

Of course all of these coping strategies build resentments, and sometimes I would blow, releasing my pent up anger. I saw a psychologist who was the one who eventually told me this was emotional abuse on her part. And also that I was codependent. I finally ended the relationship, and did it badly, again because I had so much pent up anger, and guilt for leaving.

To get to your point, I have recently been involved with another person and have found that I still have trouble setting boundaries, and am reluctant to bring things up - for fear of a big blowout occurring. I still fear confrontation and expect any discussion of the relationship will result in a blowout. I still stuff my feelings, and wonder how I will extricate myself from this one. It's sad, but I just never learned how to have healthy, non-emotional discussions growing up. As you can imagine, this inability to set boundaries and state my needs creates co-dependency, and I clearly still have work to do in this area.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As far as what has helped.. I practice some positive affirmations on a daily basis, and also have done a lot of reading - Tolle, and De Mello especially, to understand the the anxiety created by my ego and overactive mind. I use mindfulness to quiet those negative thoughts and be more present. Cheers.