Notices

Anxiety is coming back since quitting drinking

Old 09-04-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm wondering how long your panic attacks continued right after you stopped drinking? I'm 6 weeks sober and still suffering from anxiety attacks and occasional panic.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It took me close to 2 years before I felt I was truly free from the panic and anxiety I suffered. I had however become agoraphobic, and lost all ability to function before putting the bottle down. The recovery didn't come on its own. There was a certain amount of relief just because I got the alcohol out of my system, but the healing took place for me through the use of AA, the 12 steps, counseling, and making many other little changes over time.

And fwiw, at 6 weeks I was still a complete basket case. Wasn't till 6 months that I felt even remotely human. Took a year before I was able to once again engage myself in normal life activities...

It sounds to me like you're doing well. Do you have any kind of recovery plan in place?
Old 09-04-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hearing that you were a basket case at 6 weeks gives me some comfort although that isn't nice that you felt so awful. I feel exhausted a lot and am just trying to stave off anxiety. So for the most part I rest, try to eat well and take lots of supplements. I don't really have a plan in place other than I really want to feel better. I have no desire or temptation to drink. I guess I'm wishing I could put this process on a predictable time line to know when I might expect to be better.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newpathway View Post
Hi. I read that you have experience with anxiety after stopping drinking. Can you share with me your experience? I am 6 weeks sober and the first 4 weeks were frequent, daily panic and anxiety. Now less intense I'm still having anxiety attacks 3 or more times a day. I would appreciate any feedback you can give me! I'm in disbelief that this is really how it's supposed to be....This bad. Thank you.
Well, I am starting my 5th month sober now. I think the anxiety is slowly going away. I've had anxiety all my life though, so I don't think it will ever go away completely. I believe it is normal to have anxiety in certain situations and its ok to just be anxious sometimes. You just have to ride it out. As someone with anxiety and panic attacks, you have to learn how to manage them and not put yourself in situations that cause those things to happen. I try not to drink too much caffeine and if I start feeling panicky about something, I try to stop and take a break and do something good for myself. You have to listen to your gut. If something is giving you a bad feeling, take a step away from it or remove that thing from your life. Whether it be a person or an addiction. I quit smoking and don't associate with people who bring me down. I also try not to be so hard on myself and put so much pressure on myself about things.

Taking better care of myself and listening to my needs and wants has helped my anxiety a lot too. This may sound silly, but if I am getting really anxious about something, I will go shopping and it makes me feel better. Doing nothing helps too. The world is so fast paced, its nice to just take a break and sit outside and be with nature. It will get better, just don't give up. I still have bad days, but then, the next day I will come to my senses and realize that things aren't that bad. I hope that helps!
Old 09-15-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Angel without god thank you for your very sound feedback. I agree with you completely! Associations with triggers, even other people, are very important to manage in a way that only supports good health. My challenge will be in my work and dealing with difficult people that I have no choice to. My work will need to go deeper within to find the peaceful place when others are creating chaos.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Support

Hi, I'm new here but I just wanted to send some positive vibes out to my fellow newly sober, anxiety prone comrades. I have always had an analytical mind that gets stuck in repetitive loops with a touch of what I thought were OCD quirks. Sobriety has brought MANY gifts including the double edged sword of feeling things again, but amplified. With this gift, my OCD quirks have evolved into a compulsive checking nightmare. It takes me an hour to leave work at the end of the day and I constantly check the floor to see if I accidentally dropped something even though I know I haven't and I feel a generalized sense of tense, hot, oppressive anxiety. There are some days I can feel it start to lift, like the free me is starting to peek through the clouds. I know it will get better for me and you. Our minds are strong. I long for serenity.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Glad you are here, Tifa.