Notices

trimming thumbnails.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Random Guy

trimming thumbnails.

Just thought I would ask about this. I have been a habitual nail biter for as long as I remember, I don't like having any "white" on my nails and will pick at them constantly. scince trying to quit drinking I have gotten worse especially on my thumb nails taking them down to the point of bleeding and so that they are tender for a week after. I end up using a knife or a pen to shave down the larger parts and find myself constantly feeling them for places to trim down. I don't know if it is anxiety or just a bad habit getting worse but figured I would throw it out there and see if anyone has a good way to deal with it.

Thanks

INH
Old 01-20-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You might find info here.

Let me Google "Onychophagia" for you
Old 01-20-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Random Guy

No joke it honestly never occurred to me to just google it, which is weird. Thanks Morning Glory.

INH
Old 01-20-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Thought I don't experience this exact thing, I often bite my lips and peel away skin on them, so much so that they bleed (gross I know). My lips always appear cracked and chapped because of this...I too am not sure if I just have a bad habit or if it's something I do when I'm nervous/anxious...I haven't paid close enough attention. The first therapist I had told me it was a type of self-harm, but I don't buy that, I don't think I do it because I need to "feel something" like self-harmers generally do... at it's worst, I think it's just a compulsive behavior.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Random Guy

reading from what Morning Glory posted it is a impulse control problem which I can completely agree with.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

I read some of that link, which lead me to a "Dermatophagia" page. I guess that is what my compulsion or habit would technically be called. I guess I can also agree that it's a compulsion...it's difficult to stop, at least for me. It's not a top priority for me to take care of though I guess, I'm not really bothered by it, I just notice myself doing it a lot.

I hope you find a way to manage.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Originally Posted by SpeedyJason View Post
I guess I can also agree that it's a compulsion...it's difficult to stop, at least for me. It's not a top priority for me to take care of though I guess, I'm not really bothered by it, I just notice myself doing it a lot.
I am currently deciding if it is a problem for me as well. It dosen't bother me all that much except when I go a little overboard and it becomes difficult to do certain things, like buttoning a shirt. My other fingers don't bother me but I have a strange obseshion with my thumb nails and I don't like to be able to feel any part of them being bigger than the rest. I end up trimming them down with a knife or other sharp object much shorter then the rest of my nails which I just don't like to have any white on. Like you I don't think it is any form of wanting to hurt myself I try to avoid that honestly it is just that I don't like it if I can feel them. I rub them with my index finger constantly looking for a portion that I can trim down. I think I did that about 20 times while typing this. hmmm, maybe I need to establish some rules regarding them like not trimming them with anything other than actual fingernail clippers as you can only get them so short with those. I did that before just to see what they would look like maybe its time to do so again.

INH
Old 01-22-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

INH,

I have bitten my fingernails and surrounding skin for years. I did start painting my nails and that has helped a LOT, I have not bitten them for a few years, but I still mess w/ the surrounding skin. I have done it my entire life.

I'll bet if we kept our fingers out of our mouth we would get sick less.

it drives my husband nuts.

lily