SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Anxiety Disorders (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/)
-   -   Anxiety: Alcohol and Xanax Withdrawal (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/241436-anxiety-alcohol-xanax-withdrawal.html)

jayelliot 11-19-2011 03:22 PM

Anxiety: Alcohol and Xanax Withdrawal

Hey guys.
Sorry if this has been touched on before, but I'm really having trouble with social anxiety after I've detoxed from xanax and alcohol. I REFUSE to let myself relapse, because I never want to be back in the place I was before. However, I'm finding it very hard to socialize with people now. I know it was super dangerous and dumb of me, but I was taking 6mg of xanax a day, and drinking quite frequently. I was talkative and "fun" to be around. Now I feel like a recluse. I can't really strike up a conversation with friends because I'm too nervous and anxious. Do you guys have any thoughts on what I can do to help with this issue? Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

Dee74 11-19-2011 04:08 PM

Hi Jay - welcome!

Not sure how long you've been sober but I think it takes time for all of us to rediscover who sober us is and how to interact with people sober.

It's like learning to walk again in a way.

If you're worried, have you thought of counselling - it might help to talk this through with a professional psychologist - they may have some insights and help for you :)

D

Scolova 11-19-2011 04:22 PM

I agree with D. I am taking the 'baby steps' trying to regain abilities addiction took away, staying sober, seeing a doctor and getting better. Be sure to challenge yourself everyday even if it's not much, just don't expect it right away.

Dee74 11-19-2011 04:25 PM

I'm also wondering if you've seen a Dr at all Jay - both benzo and alcohol withdrawal can leave us with some major anxiety...

D

jayelliot 11-19-2011 06:57 PM

Thanks Guys. I have seen a few doctors. I had many nurses and a couple doctors in the detox clinic I was at, and after I got out I went straight to my primary care physician for his thoughts. I haven't seen a counselor yet, so I'll try that. And D, it seriously is like learning to walk again. It's kind of overwhelming, but I'll get through it.

MemphisBlues 11-19-2011 06:58 PM

The paradox of benzo use is that when benzodiazepine is removed, the anxiety comes back heavier, far more intense. It's all part of the brain rewiring, neurons incapable of absorbing the natural neurotransmitters which benzo replace.

But the brain does rewire with time. For me, taking an equivalent dose of Klonopin that was 400 milligrams of Valium, it took six months before I could walk around the hood.

Xanax equivalency to Valium at six milligrams of Xanax is about 120 milligrams, so I suspect your withdrawal will not be as hard as mine.

My list of symptoms would fill a book. It wasn't until 10 months or so that I actually had some days of normality. And, of course, I washed the benzos down with beer.

Check out some of the benzo withdrawal support forums, such as benzobuddies.com and benzo.org. Don't freak out by some of the stories. Everyone's experience is unique.

I really hope you are in touch with a doctor versed in benzo addiction and withdrawal. It could make all the difference in the world.