Notices

PTSS: post tramatic stress syndrome, off medication

Old 11-21-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Question PTSS: post tramatic stress syndrome, off medication

so...i went to the DOCTORS today....wondered about being wee off my CITALOPRAM 20mg (1 tablet a day)...

so "we" are doing this slowly and however long it takes...1/2 tablet once a week for a few weeks and so on...until all week on 1/2 a pill, then minus a day .....

I am nervous, but so excited....

any suggestions and support on this?
...how did others do this...
it would be so nice to be drug free and starting to deal with my demons of PTSS....
Old 11-21-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Maggie))) - I have PTSD, was put on an anti-d when it first occurred, but weaned off of it, so don't really have experience on that aspect.

The one thing that has lingered is..I can't sleep without medication. As in..2 hours of sleep in one week which puts me in depression (the med I take is also an anti-d..sort of).

I totally understand wanting to be off medications. It ticks me off that I have to take something just to sleep. If I had the money, I think I would try the EMDR...have heard really good things about it, though basic counseling would probably help a lot.

I get my med for free (it's like $300/month) and am about to run out until I get re-enrolled in the program. When this has happened before, I experienced a period of depression, but then I didn't taper...I just ran out.

Sooooo, I know I'm not much help, but just wanted you to know I totally understand. The other PTSD effects have gradually gone away. I was extremely reactive, at first...flew into a rage when I felt threatened in any way (and usually wasn't threatened, it just felt that way). Several people here who have PTSD have been a tremendous help, and it just helps to know I'm not alone...neither are you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-22-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

thank so much....for sharing....
Old 11-22-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

You are not alone.

I have been on several different antidepressants over the years for the PTSD. Currently we are trying a different approach using a totally different class of medications to treat the PTSD symptoms. I have had some success with this so far. The night terrors have stopped. I have less hypervigilence. I am able to go to bed earlier and get up earlier. My mood has improved. For me though things are a bit complicated since I am also bipolar so these improvements may not be related to the change in medication but rather just the bipolar cycling.

I do agree with Amy about giving EMDR a try. It has been suggested to me several times. I am actually in a place now where I am going to try it. My depression was too deep to try it this past year. But I am in a much better place right now.

As far as titrating off the medication that is pretty common and I would suggest sticking with it. The reason they do this is to minimize the withdrawal symptoms. The withdrawal symptoms can be quite uncomfortable and with some medications quite dangerous so please stick with the plan on titration of the medication.

Also wanted to say that you are not alone and there are a lot of good and supportive people here so glad you are here.