Notices

Anxiety without Internet/TV

Old 05-02-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety without Internet/TV

I'm having real anxiety without the internet , I got on at a library but I'm usually on it all the time, it dirves me crazy without it, I think I got addicted to the internet and TV , I'm not kidding, like my dad had a computer so i went on and played games and its not the same as the internet but it calmed my nerves, it's like i get upset if I'm not on for long periods of time and feel really anxious or sometimes depressed. I think it's become my new addiction. Can anyone relate to that.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

When I spoke to my therapist about how the computer, be it on the internet or not, helped to ease my anxiety she actually thought it was in many ways a positive thing for me. At this point short of illegal drugs anything that drops my anxiety level is a good thing in my eyes.

I too get quite anxious when I can not be on the computer for whatever reason especially during or right after a time of stress. It to me is like a warm bath with candles and a good book are to some people, calming and relaxing.

Is it an addiction? Some would classify it as that. Is it having a negative impact on my life like an addiction would? To that I would have to say no since it does help relieve the insanity that anxiety brings on. It centers me. It is similar to what going to a good AA meeting does for me. But the difference for me is that in an AA meeting all too often my anxiety levels with increase because of the fact that there are so many people there and the noise of it all. The computer for me is quiet and I do not have to deal with a large amount of people at one time. I can pick and choose how and when I interact with others. This little bit of control helps relieve the anxiety.

I guess I would have to stand by my feelings that the computer is a positive thing in my life as it allows me to interact with others in a positive way and I hope that it will rub off on my real life as well over time.

I don't know if any of that helps, makes sense, etc...but I do hope you find something useful in it.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I relate. I've been sober a few months but feel a need to spend a few hours a day on the internet checking Facebook, sports ect... I frequently am on the computer AND have the television on as background noise. My cable provider was broke for one day & I was calling every few hours demanding service to be restored. I guess it's kinda silly but I need to read more books or something to keep me occupied.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, ever since I quit smoking pot I have been spending a really excessive amount of time binging on television and the internet. It's getting to be a problem, but it has really highlighted for me my addictive tendencies and helped me to progress in fully realizing that I am making the right decision for me.