Notices

Dizziness

Old 06-13-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dizziness

I have had major anxiety issues in the past (panic attacks, rapid onset flu like symptoms, etc.) but not nearly as severely since getting sober, about 8 months. I moved last week and I was stressed about it but not very physically anxious. Then the first two days of living in my new apartment I had really intense dizziness off and on continually--not blurred vision but feeling like I was losing balance or on a boat rocking. It was unsettling enough that I am seeing the doctor but I suspect that this could be a new manifestation of anxiety as the symptoms have gone away the last couple days and it did correlate with living in a new place. I have never noticed dizziness before as a symptom of anxiety before though. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Any coping tips?
Old 06-13-2009, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by hendershot View Post
I have had major anxiety issues in the past (panic attacks, rapid onset flu like symptoms, etc.) but not nearly as severely since getting sober, about 8 months. I moved last week and I was stressed about it but not very physically anxious. Then the first two days of living in my new apartment I had really intense dizziness off and on continually--not blurred vision but feeling like I was losing balance or on a boat rocking. It was unsettling enough that I am seeing the doctor but I suspect that this could be a new manifestation of anxiety as the symptoms have gone away the last couple days and it did correlate with living in a new place. I have never noticed dizziness before as a symptom of anxiety before though. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Any coping tips?
Hey,

I noticed last week I started feeling dizzy for a few days on and off. I am always anxious. I felt off balance and one night I didn't even want to drive. I wasn't physically anxious , but I have alot on my mind. And, even when I don't, I'm usually anxious about something. Ofcourse, I started panicking and it felt worse, but then it passed. I wasn't sure what it was. I thought it might have been a mixture of the heat (it has been really humid here) and anxiety.

Just try to sit down and stay cool, I know that helps me. I don't think it's anything serious.You can give it some more time, but if it becomes really troublesome, make an appt. with your D.R.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I used to walk past a large group of kids, I'd feel like im about to fall over, almost dizzy. And i would shake a lot while talking to people. My anxiety wasn't THAT bad (only had three panic attacks in my lifetime), but it was very umcomfortable. Now I take 5mg of Valium twice a day, and i shake less, I can walk past a group of people. And I've taken the train without feeling any panic.

Only thing is that the meds make me pretty tired sometimes, and i hate to slep during the day.

If you don't want to take the meds for anxiety, then look up sober people in your area, maybe meeting new people and feeling less alone will help your stability. Go for walks, maybe during the day when its' safer and in a quiet place, so that you're not bothered.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dizziness used to be my main anxiety symptom. It came in intense waves, and caused me to panic. I saw several docs (ENT, a neurologist etc) until it was finally diagnosed as anxiety. Here's what helped:

. CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) was the main treatment.
. Breathing exercises - these helped a LOT... my breathing was shallow, and this may cause dizziness on its own.
. Eating small amounts of food throughout the day
. Cutting back on caffeine helped - I used to drink litres of coffee... these days I try to stay hydrated.
. Light exercise - like Cleansing mentioned, I started out by taking long walks in uncrowded areas

Different meds have also helped, but they didn't cut it on their own - in fact, benzos make me very lightheaded, so they tend to make matters worse.

These days I 'm okay; if I start getting dizzy, that's a pretty good indicator that something is making me anxious so, instead of panicking, I try to relax and figure out what's going on.

Hope this helps, keep us posted

Forgot to add, these are just DIY tips... Do check in with your doc, just to be on the safe side
Old 07-28-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I get dizzy often,
but I momentarily can't see either, sometimes

basically to cope, I don't move (if possible) or move as little as possible
and wait for it to pass
If it's just the nagging dizziness, I sit down

When did you last have your eyes checked?
'cause I'm awaiting my glasses to arrive (a month without)
and that (my eyes) is a major cause of my dizziness, I think
Old 07-30-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi hope you're ok
my anxiety has been very bad off and on, and has become a lot worse since getting sober too.... ....
dizziness in waves is not fun, clumsiness and wierd headaches mosty for me.... i think matts advice is really helpful....

i find breathing exersizes and sitting down plus trying to distract from thinking about it too much is the only thing i can do and then you wont fall over too! (as i keep nearly doing ).... i'm on anxiety medication but i think benzo's only when it's totally unbearable due how addictive they are...

take care

xtx
Old 08-06-2009, 03:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i didnt realize how much crowds bothered me until i was on meds and the feelings werent there anymore or slightly reduced i didnt realize how i put my head down an just plowed on till i didnt do it anymore its so much better !!!