Notices

Coping with anxiety and panic disorders

Old 08-13-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ivone V. View Post
u guys may want to read the book " toxic parents" and then find out where comes our problems of anxiety in recovery
Yes, that book is a must in my opinion.(Toxic Parents and Toxice In-Laws both!) Really helped me learn a lot about myself and how to set healthy boundaries. Still working on the setting of healthy boundaries, so I re-read those books regularly. And Emotional Blackmail has been a great book as well.

Thanks all for sharing here. It helps so much to read everyone's posts!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just wanted to add that I have found the book "From Panic to Power" extremely helpful!!

I've suggested it to a few friends that suffer from anxiety and they have all really liked it too!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Very interesting info

I hope you feel better soon--anxiety is difficult. Hug
Old 03-08-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey all.
I'm doing ok with staying away from alcohol, but I regularly get periods of extreme anxiety. This anxiety isn't about anything, as far as I can see.

I went back on 30mgs of Cymbalta in November and that worked really well until last week.
Now the anxiety is back.
The doc wants me to up my dose to 60mg, but I really don't want to, as I've had horrendous experiences with upping my dose before.

Has anyone experience of this?
Obviously I'm not seeking medical advice, just someone's thoughts.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for these suggestions.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Wonderful I am going to look this book up. I have suffered with anxiety twenty years ago when I had a major life shift. It took therapy and lots of life changes to see that my anxiety was the indicator that I was not doing what I was supposed to be doing in life. Now I am dealing with anxiety again and determined to find my direction again.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

anxiety disorder non specified

I have always experienced extreme anxiety, ulcers at 9, developed into horrific panic attacks in my 20s, which led to self medicating with alchohol, I actually believed that if I told anyone about my panic attacks they would lock me up, stupid. So, now at 50 I am struggling with anxiety and addiction. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

what works

Originally Posted by onebear View Post
I have always experienced extreme anxiety, ulcers at 9, developed into horrific panic attacks in my 20s, which led to self medicating with alchohol, I actually believed that if I told anyone about my panic attacks they would lock me up, stupid. So, now at 50 I am struggling with anxiety and addiction. Any suggestions appreciated.
Hi onebear, I understand how you feel. In my case it was temptation to do other things from alcohol but still not good for me.

However, from my successful pulling out of that situation, all talk wasn't that helpful apart from one thing: Imagine a person in a deep hole. I cry out, and some of the friends stop by and talk from above: do this or that, it's not that serious BUT - I am still in a hole! Then another walks in to the rim but - same thing : talk, only different words, and I am still deep down.

Talkers didn't help me. It was actually a powerful man who went to the pit himself, got himself muddy and suffered MORE than I did.

That man helped me and he is willing to help you too.

So, only if you are willing, I am ready to share that with you. Can you please let me know if you want to hear.

Pavao
Old 06-23-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Really glad I read this sticky...thank you all for the great tips.

I have major depressive disorder and severe anxiety issues. Great info. Going to order the books...
Old 10-28-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My story

I think my anxiety was started from being bullied in school. I had a massive freak out whenever I thought about the concept of school or even going near it. This anxiety later on turned into panic attacks which led me to drink heavily to control the symptoms. Most days I just wanted to be sedated because my world was spinning out of control with anxiety, I felt terrified by what I was experiencing and couldn't help but feel I was being pulled away from reality. I find time is a good healer and routine is also important just so I know what life's got in store for me. I am very OCD with my thinking and not so much my actions. Of course drinking isn't the cure but while I am drinking I feel like I'm the person I was meant to be if that makes sense.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I think bullying and an alcoholic parent had an effect on mines. I remember being happy in primary school, but not Secondary. I never wanted to go.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I had a father who always exerted his physical superiority over me and intimidated me, and I was fearful of bullies in school.

I am not afraid of any bullies now, though.

I am glad all of us are here.

This is where (or at least one of the places) we go to get better.

I hope that all of the newcomers hang around.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kevin78 View Post
I think bullying and an alcoholic parent had an effect on mines. I remember being happy in primary school, but not Secondary. I never wanted to go.
Same here, I rarely attended secondary school, I probably went for about a month then refused to go anymore. Couldn't handle it due to my anxiety.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I do suffer from anxiety, panic disorder too ! Ty Adkins for all of this insight to this !
Old 05-19-2021, 09:07 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Holy Moly, just got here! Where is everyone? We're in the next Century. There has to be anxiety?
Old 05-19-2021, 04:44 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Yeah…Anxiety was a big symptom during recovery…Kinda still is, but over much time, it all but diminished entirely to not having anxiety at all.

Heres to the continued journey of sobriety 😇