Notices

Xanax hangover?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Xanax hangover?

I do not exceed my Dr. prescribed dose of xanax, but lately I have been feeling kind of over medicated during the day time.

I feel dizzy, tired, headachy, and drugged.

I'm trying to figure out what might be causing this and I did a google search for xanax hangover and it seems there is a lot of discussion on this. Does anyone have any experience with xanax hangover?
Old 05-04-2009, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
9/15/08

I was originally prescribed xanax with Campral...Stopped taking the xannies as my tolerance went throught the roof, and within 3-4 months I was taking 5mg per day.

I didn't have 'hangovers', but I noticed behaviors that were similar to being drunk....slurred speech, swaying gait, loss of balance, clumsiness, and generally just not giving a f-k about anything. Not good.

Besides, ppl actually accused me of drinking when I wasn't!

Xanax is great for ppl with panic disorder, but addicts should stay away from it, IMO.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustJohnny View Post
I do not exceed my Dr. prescribed dose of xanax, but lately I have been feeling kind of over medicated during the day time.

I'm trying to figure out what might be causing this and I did a google search for xanax hangover and it seems there is a lot of discussion on this. Does anyone have any experience with xanax hangover?
Hate to have to tell you this, but Xanax and all benzos were originally designed to be prescribed for no more than 3 or 4 weeks. Longer term benzo users develop a tolerance, and a benzo tolerance and eventual withdrawal is like no other drug withdrawal experience. Even heroin - I don't care how much heroin someone has shot up, you ain't kicked nothin til you've kicked long term benzos.

It appears benzos have been prescribed long term now for people, which never should have happened. The reasons for this are various.

I was prescibed benzos for 5 years, they turned on me and began making me deeply depressed, I had to jump off them. And I wasn't gobbling or abusing these things.

It's now just over nine months later and I can still feel the withdrawal. The first 5 months were hard, then the subsequent 3 months were even worse, this past month seems to finally be evening out.

For some positive news, some long term benzo users escape virtually unscathed.

But some have to go through pure hell.

Take benzos at your own peril. And if you've been on them for awhile, please google Ashton Manual for guidance on how to withdraw from these VERY DANGEROUS DRUGS safely.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Xanax hangover is very real and it's hell!

Originally Posted by JustJohnny View Post

Xanax hang over is hell I wake up every morning feeling hung over and dizzy and just over all ****** this doesn't happen nearly as bad if I drink a lot of water and keep it under 2 mgs a day. Anything over 2 mgs a day give me a major Xanax hang over
Old 04-20-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Court jester

I am definitely going to change over to Klonopin. What I am finding that I need in sobriety is a mood stabilizer. I am either totally amped up or flat. Not quite bi-polar as it is not a manic state, nor a depressed one. Just very volatile.

I have a PRN for xanax and do not take more than the 1mg I am perscribed daily. But nonetheless, I don't think it is the best choice for what I am experiencing of late.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Bill,
What Puddy posted about benzos should only be prescribed for 3-4wks is true ( I've read up to 8wks max. ) Puddy also stated that he/she was still feeling the w/d's after 9mos. I quit 8 mos ago & also still am w/d ( the 1st two & 1/2 were an unimaginable hell. )
What people are talking about a xanax hangover is your body gets used to a certain amount prescribed & you need more & more to achieve the same feeling. So the benzo itself starts causing anxiety ( because you start to have a w/d feeling in between pills. )
Also, the half life ( the time it takes a pill to leave your system ) of just 1 xanax is 6-12hrs. The half life of Klonopin is 18-50hrs...remember, this time is for just 1 pill ( hard to imagine. ) I was prescribed klonopin for over 10yrs. No wonder I'm still feeling w/ds after 8mos.!
As Puddy said, Google "Ashton manual."
Old 09-17-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

I am a a xanax user. Have been taking them off and on for probably 20 years or more. I do not abuse my prescription - the main reason being that my doctor would take it away from me if he thought I was addicted, so I control them very carefully. I do admit I am probably addicted to it, because I couldn't sleep without it. My dosage is very small: .5 mg every 12 hours. I take one .5 pill at night and occasionally take 1/2 a pill (.25 mg) in the morning if I need it. I was trying to not take the 1/2 morning pill when I was drinking because I believed the anxiety was alcohol related (and it was) and so, toughed the anxiety out.