Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Anxiety Disorders
Reload this Page >

How long does it take for the body to get rid of valium?

Notices

Old 08-25-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have been off valium for 12 days now. How long does it take for the drug to leave the body? Also, can one still suffer from withdrawals after being off for 12 days? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, and welcome!
I don't have any experience to share here, but, someone will come along soon to share their ESH soon.

Good luck, and keep up the good work!

Shalom!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello! So you are on day 12 eh? Congrats! That in itself is a victory in my opinion!

I've never come off valium before, but i have xanax. Both (as you probably already know) are the same class of drug...benzodiapines (sp?).

I'm not a doctor by any means, but how its been described to me is that valium while not a potent as xanax, has a half life 3 to 4 times longer as xanax does...which means it remains in your system for a while longer.

I would think it depends largely on 2 things.

1. How long your had been taking valium (weeks, months, years)
2. What dose you were at when you stopped taking valium.

I'm personally on day 7 of being off xanax. Time of use was a year and a half, dose before quitting .75mg. After day 7, most major withdrawl symtoms have gone away. Still remaining is slight un-easy feeling, shaky hands and anxiety level rather high. 0 panic attacks (which i'm real grateful for), not too bad sleep problems (one nyquil does the trick).

So to sum it up. Everyone is different so withdrawls could last longer than others. However, being that you're almost to two weeks, i'd say you're probably getting real close to getting out of the woods...so keep it up!!!
Old 09-06-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

valium

just wondering how you are feeling today, my partner of six yrs is on day 11 of no valium he was using for four months on 80mg a day,he is nervous to go out and his confidence is zero ,stomach very sick ,can u tell me what to expect for the next few days ,,,,,,wil it get better :praying
Old 09-07-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by murphy1 View Post
just wondering how you are feeling today, my partner of six yrs is on day 11 of no valium he was using for four months on 80mg a day,he is nervous to go out and his confidence is zero ,stomach very sick ,can u tell me what to expect for the next few days ,,,,,,wil it get better :praying
80mg. of valium a day, wow that's a very heavy dose. Withdrawal from benzo's is much like alcohol withdrawal as they both fit the gabba receptors in the brain. After using that dose for that length of time I would expect the post acute withdrawal symptoms to linger for quite a long time. Anxiety, depression and insomnia are the most widely experienced symptoms and it's not unusual to experience these things for months after quitting benzo's such as valium. He needs to just keep in mind that it won't last forever and his brain synapses will recover as time goes on.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by murphy1 View Post
One more thing murphy is that he should be doing this under a doctors supervision. The accepted way of doing it is to gradually taper the dose down. Stopping cold turkey from such a heavy dose can be dangerous. The anxiety can get very bad. Best of luck to both of you.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
One more thing murphy is that he should be doing this under a doctors supervision. The accepted way of doing it is to gradually taper the dose down. Stopping cold turkey from such a heavy dose can be dangerous. The anxiety can get very bad. Best of luck to both of you.
went to his doctor ,he told him go walking ,forget the valium,things take time to go out of the system,well he walked for a while ,then went to the bar had a few beers ,it worked ok so now every morning he walks to the bar stays all day drinkin to forget the valium,doctors differ patients die comes to mind ,:praying
Old 09-13-2008, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Murphy, the above forum is a good one to learn about benzo withdrawal. If he was really using 80mg a day then I can't imagine that any doctor would advise him to just go for a walk and forget about it. Going to the bar and replacing the valium with alcohol is about the worst thing he could do. At some point he will be going through a horrible withdrawal from the alcohol and having been a heavy benzo user prior to the alcohol is only going to make things much worse. Sounds like he's headed for real trouble if he doesn't get the help that he needs.

Last edited by historyteach; 09-14-2008 at 02:56 AM. Reason: link removed
Old 09-14-2008, 02:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hearing is beliving

if i was not sitting in the doctors office with him i would have called him a liar ,for once i have to say and this does not come often he is tellin the truth ,get off your arse he said and get freah air ,walk till your tired of walkin cos you wont get it out of your system by puttin someting back in.we walked out of there in shock ,before whan he had another laspe they tried to wean him off it ,in the end he had to go cold turkey ,i think he is physically not able to go cold turkey this time ,years of abuse to your body must catch up with u at some stage .its the fear of something must be going to happen maybe,i rack my head trying to come up with natural mothods ,would anything like that work i wonder surly someone has come up with a natural method relaxer ,any ideas anyone out there or am i clutchin at straws so to speak,thanks for listening anyway ,this site is a god send it helps clear my head of a million questions ,sometimes i dont mind if i get no answers ,its somewhere to chat,
Old 09-14-2008, 03:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Life!

Murphy1,
Perhaps he should go to another doctor?
I would if it was me... Detoxing from a benzo is dangerous.
I wish you both well.

Shalom!