Notices

Cigarettes and anxiety?

Old 06-19-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I also find that if I smoke one right before bed and lay down I wish I hadn't. Gets my NS all worked up.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have the same feeling.

I've smoked for about 10 years, about a pack a day. If I'm feeling depressed or anxious sometimes I'll smoke a few in a row.

When I first started, my first cigarette of the day would give me a buzzed, dizzying feeling, which I actually liked as I was walking to the train station.

Now it's just such a part of my routine, it's almost a subconscious thing. But it heightens my anxiety and depression immediately. And the wheeziness afterwards, breathing is so wound into my anxiety. Who would do that to themselves?

I appreciate the encouraging stories of those that have quit. Maybe I can make it more than a few days on the gum next time I try quitting.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have never had a problem with nicotine addiction because smoking ALWAYS gives me a panic attack. Boom. Done. No smoking problems.

When I am drunk, I like a cigarette. But only one or two.

I kind of envy smokers / coffee drinkers (two things I just can't do because of the anxiety they induce). It means that those people don't have anxiety problems. They're actually looking to STIMULATE their nervous systems. I just can't imagine having a body like that. I'm always looking to slow down everything. Downers.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm loving reading this thread!
I gave up smoking after reading Allen Carr's Easy way to give up smoking. At one stage, he asked the question, if you had a choice to give up or to have to smoke for the rest of your life, what would you choose? A strange question, but when I thought about it it seemed like torturous hell to have to smoke for the rest o my life as i realised I really didn't like smoking!
Crazy eh?
It really is nicotine addiction. I feel so much better without cigarettes - cleaner, clearer, more positive, less anxious...I could go on. But I still get urges to have a cigarette as I did that for many years.
By the way, Kabukicho, don't envy that. I'm pretty sure that theory doesn't really hold up.
I think I am a pretty anxious person, but that made me smoke more - even though it made me more anxious!
It takes a while to make the connection for some of us - slow learners!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

About 2 months ago, I managed to stop smoking!!
Old 01-30-2018, 10:49 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Here comes a bump!
I have noticed this too. Whether it's snus or cigarettes it makes my anxiety a million times worse. Add some coffee into the mix and forget about it....

Will go off the nicotine tomorrow come hell or high water... Had enough of this, I don't even enjoy smoking!
Old 01-31-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome jeffy! I quit tobacco before I stopped drinking, it took a long time in sobriety for the anxiety to settle. I love coffee and thankfully I can have a few cups every morning without any consequences.

Glad you've joined us!
Old 01-31-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Welcome jeffy! I quit tobacco before I stopped drinking, it took a long time in sobriety for the anxiety to settle. I love coffee and thankfully I can have a few cups every morning without any consequences.

Glad you've joined us!
Actually the booze has been out of my life for quite a while (years).