Notices

5 Htp

Old 08-27-2007, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 Htp

Has anyone had positive or negative results from using this natural product? Thanks!
Old 08-27-2007, 11:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was considering it, but because I was on Paxil then I couldn't take it. It is dangerous to mix antidepressants with 5 HTP. I heard from other people that it doesn't help very often but I didn't hear about any negative results either (except when mixed with antidepressants ofcourse).
Old 08-28-2007, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Worked Great!

I looked it up on the internet last night and thought, what the hell? It doesn't look like it can hurt me any. I went to the store and took 100 mg of it. It absolutely worked right away for me. I felt very relaxed and that's a big deal right now. I'm relocating with a new job coming up. A lot of stress and sleep has been elusive. I slept a full 7 hours last night. I felt fantastic today.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, I will try it too when I quit Paxil, currently tapering it off from 5 mg 1,5 mg.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Growing, Learning, Living

I have tried it as well, and it worked very well for me. Made me very relaxed & able to sleep well. Was able to cut down fairly quickly as well.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can't go against this anymore...

I was taking it long term - Maybe 2-3 years most days.
Although I was taking a lot more than the recommended dose.

I was taking 3-6 100mg tabs a day. I actually have a bottle sitting on the table beside me.

I started taking this because it releases serotonin and I was taking ecstasy for a long time and this recovered serotonin, which is the chemical ecstasy releases for the high.

Althought 5HTP is used as a chemical to induce sleep, it started doing the opposite, I was getting heart palpitations, VERY vivid dreams when I did sleep, and normally not able to sleep - Effects I got with ecstasy.
I didn't realise this was from the 5HTP until I searched on the internet and found a lot of people got the exact same problems with it.

I wouldn't use it again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

At the start, it was great, I slept well and when I took it during the day, it put me in a great mood (They are also used as an antidepressant legally) but after a while of taking them daily it went in the complete opposite direction - I ended up having to take them just to keep my serotonin at an average level, just like taking any type of drug.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry...Just realised this was a really old thread.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I did not have a good experience with 5htp either. It caused me to go manic as I was not yet diagnosed as bipolar just as chronic depression.