Notices

anti-anxiety meds when needed only?

Old 07-03-2007, 01:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

For the sleep stuff, they have some decent stuff out. Melatonin (both OTC and prescription) for a little help. The prescription sleep aids are meant for a short period of time (most of them aren't designed for long term use, outside of Lunesta). Just as a general rule Xanax is NOT meant for restoring sleep architecture. It can take the edge off, but once you go Xanax, you won't want any alternative....and that isn't generally a good thing when it comes to substance abuse.

Google info about setting up a "sleep routine". Meditation, yoga, and etc are good for relaxing your body (being more proactive).

-p
Old 07-03-2007, 01:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

"once you go Xanax"... hahaha, yeah! okay, well... my only experience with Xanax was drug abuse. i tried it when my pal gave me some for driving him home one night. i blacked out, woke up in a hallway, and then went home. my pal died that night, from xanax and alcohol and methadone.

my dad's a recovering benzo addict, as well as an alcoholic.

(klonopin and clonazepam are the same thing. clonazepam's a generic.)

in my honest opinion, for MY life (and mine alone), i'd start taking the xanax... then maybe start taking them when i didn't REALLY need it... then i'd be ****** 'cause that's just one more drug for me to get off of. but-that's just me.

best luck to you, anxiety is horrible.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I called a doctor earlier, and we talked about what was going on, she's going to give me five days worth of something...probably valium or something like it, to get through the worst...I've had panic disorder for 10 years or so, and when I'm off the drinking, I can usually handle it decently without meds.

Haha, I'm having a mini panic attack just thinking about the 3-4 minute drive to the doctor's. Ugh.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I got some xanax...very small dosage, .25 mg...14 pills, and some Amitriptyling HCL, which I had never heard of before, for sleeping. Oh and yes, I have friends who have taken Xanax ..recreationally. I don't want that/or to get addicted to it. That's why I asked for a small dose. And gosh, your experiance with Xanax doesn't sound any fun at all Emimily :\

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

Last edited by Anodyne; 07-03-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: add on
Old 07-05-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lizrox View Post
You can take these benzodiazepines as needed but you may build up a tolerance and feel some withdrawal if you don't take them. Benzos are dangereous and hard to get off of. If you don't NEED to take them I would advice you not to. Benzos have screwed up my whole central nervous systom. I don't mean to scare you at all. I would just listen to your dr and ask questions if you feel you have to.

Best of Luck,

Liz
I agree with Liz. Benzos.(Klonopin for me) nearly killed me. It was HELL to get off them. A living NIGHTMARE! Now I've been off them for about 3 years. I thought I required them just to live, because of my anxiety. And I was taking them as prescribed, too. But over a period of many years. I really thought I couldn't function without them. But know I'm functioning better than ever! And so so so SO grateful they didn't kill me!!! They depleted my ability to soothe myself naturally, and to feel pleasure naturally. It took a LONG time to get back to "normal" and feel okay again. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...I truely feel like a survivor!

If I can do it, you can, too!