Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Anxiety Disorders
Reload this Page >

Seeking advice from others with prior history of meth and ecstasy abuse

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is an x/post from the substance abuse forum, I didn't see that there was a forum that dealt with anxiety specifically:

Hello,

I just found this forum last night, this is my first post. I am 27 years old and five years removed from meth, ecstasy, and alcohol abuse. After being relatively problem free (other than transitional periods, which are to be expected) over the course of my sobriety, I have been experiencing some unfamiliar anxieties over the last 9 months.

Namely, I have become reclusive and have a hard time entering even regular social interactions. I drive to an appointment, or to a restaurant, or a friends house only to circle the building and go back home. I was doing this for a few weeks before I even realized it. I had been justifying it with absurd statements like "there's no parking" or "they probably wanted to cancel".

Very recently, I have had increasingly severe migraines and am beginning to suspect my psychological condition.

I was really curious to see if anyone has experience delayed problems after a prolonged period of abstinence from meth and ecstasy, and if so if there were steps that could be taken to address them.

Thanks in advance,

Sebastian
Old 10-28-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sebastian. I've no experience with chemicals, as my DOC was alcohol. But I can relate to a lot of what you're saying. For me it's all about the fear of the unknown. I don't know what I should prepare myself for so I avoid the situation alltogether. For me talking here helps a lot as I can hide behind my annonymity, and everyone is supportive no matter what you talk about. A face to face support group helps me a lot as well.

And believe me it took a while to start the support group, as I would do the same thing, after driving there and leaving three times, I then made it to the front door but even then turned around and left. When I finally worked up the courage to go in I realized everyone was just like me, and most did the same thing before they came through the doors.

Even now when going to see good friends I'll sometimes circle, leave, and make an excuse. So you're certainly not alone here. The migranes are quite possably caused by the anxiety, but it wouldn't hurt to be checked by a Dr to be sure, and while you're there maybe ask about the anxiety as well, but don't neglect to tell the Doc your complete history. I think that would be a good place to start. Also do you have any idea of what the source of the anxiety is. If you don't know then pay particular attention to exactly what the circumstances are when it hits, thereby identifying the triggers. Keep posting and I think you'll help yourself tremendously. Take care.