SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Sexual abuse in AA a serious problem (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/92613-sexual-abuse-aa-serious-problem.html)

Taiman 04-25-2006 01:46 PM

Sexual abuse in AA a serious problem

This article was written in The Guardian, a well respected newspaper in England. It was written in 2000 but I only recently learned of it. It seems that sexual abuse is a very serious problem in AA and the police have become involved. AA in England circulated a memo to every group about the problem.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Ar...036900,00.html

Justme57 04-25-2006 02:06 PM

there is a small minority of men and women who operate with sick but hidden agendas, and, no matter what they may say, they seek self-gratification often at the expense of other members or potential members".( from article)

We here in Australia, also ocassionally get memos from Central Office, reminding us , as a group, to be aware of " 13 steppers", and their dealings with " newcomers" We deal with this a s a group, and as I live in a very big city, all the groups discuss this at their GC meetings, and come up with strategies.

This to me , seems like a usual media beat up, they have no idea , and must have been short of news that week. There are predators, sexual and otherwise, in society in general, at least in the rooms, we can be aware , and put stratergies in place to stop it occurring

HUGX
lee

Taiman 04-25-2006 02:17 PM

It is a serious enough issue to warrant a police investigation, a news story from a major English Newspaper and a memo to every AA meeting in England. I think that constitutes a serious threat/issue.

I am sorry some people would down play something as horrific as sexual assault. The Catholic Church did the same thing for decades until they started to get sued. Clearly sexual assault is a major threat for those who choose to attend AA. I hope AA takes the threat seriously and takes major steps to address the issue and protect its members & others who attend their meetings.

2stop 04-25-2006 02:26 PM

Sexual abuse is serious anywhere.It is serious in homes across the world...we don't need to go knocking family's down to 'prove' that.............I do not seek my recovery through AA/NA, and don't even agree with all their philospohy's.........BUT there are GOOD people there...and I have no doubt they are doing everything they can to prevent this............It's not like AA just "attracts" sexual pervs.............but some people with alcohol/drug issues are sicko's in the worst sense of the word.....AA doesn't produce them or give them a 'sanctuary" ................there are sicko's everywhere.

JMHO................thanks!

BSPGirl 04-25-2006 02:41 PM

Uh that article isn't very recent, sooooooooo...

Justme57 04-25-2006 02:43 PM

Exactly BSP ............................................. Ugh indeed

HUGX
lee

BSPGirl 04-25-2006 02:47 PM

Yeah 'ugh' but this happens in any organization, sadly enough. But also since this article isn't recent that might mean they've done things to improve and prevent it happening again. :)

Taiman 04-25-2006 02:56 PM

It astounds me that people can be so laissez faire about such a serious issue. I am fortunate enough to have never experienced sexual abuse but I have spoken to those who have. It has a devasting, life altering experience that can have tragic consequences on the victim.

I guess some people are just blind no matter what. I just hope they aren't the ones who are attacked.

tyler 04-25-2006 03:08 PM

Gotta tell you Taiman, I dont' think anyone is discounting that sexual abuse is a horible thing, it is just that you seem to be using it to promote your anti-AA agenda again. Now you don't have to go into the whole thing about how you used to hold a million different positions in AA and all of that, because I really don't care. As 2Stop pointed out sexual predators are everywhere, including AA meetings. There are thousands, if not millions of sexual predators on-line, but that doesn't keep me off line, I am just cautious of how I handle myself. I do find it interesting that all of the people who have replied thusfar to your post, myself included, (with the exception of JustMe) are not in the AA camp at all. BSP hangs her hat with SMART, 2stop and I kind of work our own mix of "programs" (hope I'm not speaking out of turn here 2stop). I just find it annoying when people who have an obvious ax to grind use articles like this to attempt to prove their point. Instead of putting AA down, why don't you work to improve the visibility of other options. Just a thought. I'm sure this will quickly deginerate into a flame war and the thread locked shortly. Just my 2 cents.

2stop 04-25-2006 03:10 PM

Come on now...I have been raped and sexually abused.........placing blame where it was unfounded and overgenralizations in my thought processes kept me a slave to the traumatic experience itself and of no use to others.

I have seen no one here be laissez faire or "blind" as you are complaining....

All have agreed sexual abuse is prevalent in society...
all have agreed it needs addressed.......

what are you waiting for us to say?

AA is to blame? AA attracts it and harbors it? It doesn't....of course there are sexual predators there! There are sexual predators in many family units........schools, nursing homes.....etc etc........it's everywhere. To put AA in a poor light or innuendize it is a sexual haven for sexual predators is wrong IMO.....BUT that's JMHO....................

2stop 04-25-2006 03:11 PM

You're not speaking out of turn Tyler!!! I don't have a name for what I work..except it works...and I work it! ****{HUGS TYLER!!}}} :)

doorknob 04-25-2006 03:16 PM

If somebody is hit on, that's one thing. If somebody is assaulted, they should report it to the police and press charges, no matter where it occurred.

Justme57 04-25-2006 03:18 PM

And a very good 2 cents worth it was too, tyler:)

That is exactly the problem with the post ....................the motive. i have aknowledged that AA are well aware of the potential problem, and adress it on an ongoing basis.

just seems to me, that dredging up an old newspaper article ( 6 years old) is a bit of overkill in the " bash AA department." i dont care if people agree with AA or not, what ever works, i would not like to see any other programme debased on the say so of a long ago newspaper article

HUGX
Lee

rose petals 04-25-2006 03:35 PM

hmmmm, when i came into aa i was soooo trusting--i thought wow these people are great if they are living this way--over the yrs i have seen alot--lol--there are good people in aa but there are alot of bad--i have come to a place now where i have more of a balance --i do not trust everyone in aa completely anymore --in fact alot of hypocrites, but it is a good program --i take what i can and leave the rest--i dont do everything the program entails--tried that--i have finally found a comfortable niche--by the way i ha d a man come over to my house when i was blacked out , from aa, and take advantage of me--he had a few yrs--some men have tried to grope me or say innapropriate things--but the few good people ive met are great--it is unfortunate
laura

doorknob 04-25-2006 04:08 PM

:hijacked:

Originally Posted by tyler
2stop and I kind of work our own mix of "programs"

Originally Posted by 2stop
I don't have a name for what I work..except it works...and I work it!

I thought you two might appreciate this:

The LifeRing approach to recovery lays emphasis on self-help and on learning through experimentation. LifeRing members are not expected to present identical profiles, and there is no fixed therapeutic pathway through which everyone must pass. The common goal is a full life with zero consumption of alcohol and addictive mind-altering drugs; but there are many roads to get there, and all are equally valid. You, as a recovering person, are a scientist conducting a series of experiments of which you are also the subject. You will try different ideas and different behaviors and see if they help keep you sober. If they work for you, you will probably retain them; if they lead you into relapse, you are encouraged to change them and try something else. The set of ideas and behaviors that work for you compose your personal recovery program.
http://www.unhooked.com/toolbox/index.html

DK

markofevil 04-25-2006 04:31 PM

It would be difficult for AA to deal with any kind of problem since AA is really just a collection of meetings around the world. About the only thing AA can do is send out guidelines and warnings.

There are predators out there. We have one who goes from meeting to meeting looking for newly sober AA women. He doesn't assault them, but he tries to get them in the sack at a time when they are emotionally confused due to their new sobriety and withdrawl. A lot of the veteran women know about him though and basically chase him off. He's not doing anything illegal though so other than putting out the word, there isn't much that can be done.

jimhere 04-25-2006 04:39 PM

sad but true.

Peter 04-25-2006 05:03 PM

There is sexual abuse in our homes and schools, in our workplace and in our institutions of higher learning.Heck there was even a report recently of a church minister raping one of the church members.

C'mon Tai.I know you do not approve of AA but that outdated article just appears a little too much like mudslinging....thirteen stepping is and probably always will be a serious issue for AA to deal with..

Clark 04-25-2006 05:17 PM

I notice that the original poster on this thread is 85 years old ( if profile is correct). Congratulations on your longevity!

doorknob 04-25-2006 05:25 PM

I looked at someone's profile the other day, and it said they were a hundred and something!