Notices

Night Sweats

Old 09-26-2005, 08:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Night Sweats

Everytime I try to quit drinking I wake up soaked. I think that half the reason I hate to quit I can't stand waking up every few minutes hot/cold and wet. Is this normal during detox?
Old 09-26-2005, 09:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

It can be and it will pass. I would have them when drinking from time to time.

Be grateful that you are trying to stop now because deeper into an alcohol addiction can be a bigger pain then a few nights of what you find now.

Stay the course, as it does get better.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My A/H used to do that during the night after drinking.......YUCK!
Old 09-26-2005, 09:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yuck

I only do that if I don't drink. And it is yuck
Old 09-26-2005, 10:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

A little yuck now or a life time of hurt later?

Drinking can bring much pain and hurt into a life.

Which would you rather have...the now or the later?

It does stop. It could be 2 nights or 2 weeks of nights but it does stop.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Red Hot Chili Pepper

I get that about 4 or 5 days in for 2 or 3 days. A lukewarm bath always helps me sleep better. I'm over my night sweats now, but still have insomnia. At least part of that is anxiety because I get to go to court on Friday --oh joy.

Kelly
Old 09-27-2005, 12:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Yep - I remember those night sweats well. Everytime I came off a binge my body would react like that as I was going through alcohol withdrawal. It soon passes, about 2 or 3 days for me. I don't get them anymore - in fact I sleep nowadays, I wake up rather than come around. I also wake up now without that crushing anxiety that used to fill my day.

much love
JC
Old 09-27-2005, 04:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

O yes....

and then the sweating began during the day.
I was sorta light headed too.
I took showers sitting down so I would not fall.

This did not last long.. Unpleasant for sure!

The great thing about de toxing....
you only have to do it once!
Old 09-27-2005, 04:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I always wondered if that was a withdrawl .......A/H would drink come home and start drinking until he wandered up to bed (about 4 hours); pretty much pass out then s night passed would start twitching then jerking legs, nightmares and sweats........5 or 6 hours after drinking. Physical w/drawl possibly? or just "him". He has always been a daily drinker....this just happened as he consumed more and the other bad behaviors started (ie rages, blackouts). Just wondering. I got so I could not sleep in same bed; he punched me it the eye once while both of us were in a dead sleep; and all the kicking and flalling around woke me up. I have always wondered about this.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dear Panic,

I used that as a reason not to quit also. But the truth is, you have to go through it in order for it to go away. I had maybe 3-4 nights of not much sleep, shrivering cold one minute, sweating bullets the next. Also clammy sweats during the day, not very comfortable. But the good news is, it does stop. Now I fall asleep instead of passing out. I have come to understand that alcoholic sleep does not provide the REM time that our bodies desperately need.

I am only 13 days sober so far but my health (what I feel anyway) has already improved dramatically. Sleep is so much better, waking hours better too. Go for it, the rewards are great.

Marilyn
Old 09-27-2005, 10:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Pick:
The twitching was your A/H's body's response to the decrease in his blood alcohol level. Remember, booze is essentially a depressent. As we aclimate to higher and higher levels of booze, our nervous system gets revved up in order to counterbalance the depressents effects -- to reach our own sick equilibrium. When the booze leaves our system, our nerves are still revved up. The result is involuntary tremors that you describe, anxiety, and some of the other sleep movements you have described. Withdrawl is the process in which we are regain our healthy equilibrium without the booze or the tremors.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

During my first week or two of sobriety, I had hot/cold flashes and lots of night sweats. I was waking up constantly at night soaking wet, not to mention those bizarre dreams. I believe that is very common.

As unpleasant as night sweats are, I could imagine that it is better to go through those than some of the more severe withdrawall symptoms such as DT's.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Only Just Begun

I just realized that I have this too -- night and day. I thought it was just hot flashes that were getting much worse. Thanks for posting.

Linda
Old 09-27-2005, 02:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
GURUJAKE

I love all of these confirmations...it took me awhile to figure out that the night sweats were a result of alcohol withdrawal. I have 37 days today and while the sweats stopped long ago, I still have involuntary twitches as I am entering sleep and apparently while sleeping that keep my partner up. How long can these twitches be expected to last?

Last edited by gurujake; 09-27-2005 at 02:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-27-2005, 03:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CDr55
During my first week or two of sobriety, I had hot/cold flashes and lots of night sweats. I was waking up constantly at night soaking wet, not to mention those bizarre dreams. I believe that is very common.
Currently living it! Have to crawl to the fridge in middle of the night to get water, totally dehydrated. My dreams are currently directed by Steven King and I tend to have some odd twitches.

I remember at my previous quit sobriety attempt it took me a few days for most of the sweating and twitching to go away. Right now I'm glad that I'm single so no one has to witness this.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I did the same thing. In my case I held onto so much fluid that I was bloated. Like clock work at about 3 days without alcohol I'd sweat and wake up soaking wet. You can tell the amount of fluid by pressing your skin or finger nails. The more white you see the more fluid you have. One thing that was suggested and helped me was to drink plenty of water. This will help flush the chemicals like sodium that hold fluid. Like others mentioned you'll get through it. Don W
Old 09-27-2005, 07:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AndrewBeen
Pick:
The twitching was your A/H's body's response to the decrease in his blood alcohol level. Remember, booze is essentially a depressent. As we aclimate to higher and higher levels of booze, our nervous system gets revved up in order to counterbalance the depressents effects -- to reach our own sick equilibrium. When the booze leaves our system, our nerves are still revved up. The result is involuntary tremors that you describe, anxiety, and some of the other sleep movements you have described. Withdrawl is the process in which we are regain our healthy equilibrium without the booze or the tremors.
Thank you, Andrew....that is very ineresting and helpful!
Old 02-04-2006, 09:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

glad i found this site...i became sober 7 months ago, and started drinking again 3 or 4 weeks ago...i can't even remember now. it started b/c i began dating someone and it threw me off balance b/c i felt like i could never tell him about being bipolar and being an addict...so i drank to sabotage things...or who knows why.

point is...the drinking came back worse than ever...was drinking everyday and not eating. blacking out. never used to do that. now, nightsweats...soak my sheets at night...clammy hands...my face sweats...i can't eat...just want alcohol. I stopped today...i am itchy all over and my hair is still soaked...SOAKED from my night sweats.

I was thankful for everyone's input on this forum...I now realize i can look forward to feeling better in about 72 hours...i just can't give in to the craving to drink to take away the edge and the sweats and the itchiness...yikes...my skin is on FIRE!

I appreciated the advice about drinking fluids...eating...taking in electrolytes...and releasing toxins. you all have helped me to understand this process better, so thank you. i am very disappointed in myself...it was so weird how the alcoholism came back with a vengeance...in an entirely different form...with a life of it's own. wow.

my heart is racing and my palms are sweating and i feel sick. I made myself eat. Drank juice. Took some vitamins. Any other advice? I am also having muscle spasms...like all of the sudden my leg will kick...or my arm will jerk...or my eyes will blink...it is so weird. these sudden, involuntary movements...in my sleep and while i am awake. and, the sleep is like a horrid cross between trying to be asleep but remaining alert and conscious enough to know i am soaking my sheets and am hot and cold and the same time. skin is on fire, yet i am freezing cold...and sweating, sweating, sweating.

any advice in terms of vitamins? someone mentioned folate? any advice in terms of how to integrate nutrition back into my life? anti-oxidents? oh, and the headache...goodness...i feel like i have a little man in there with a pix-axel going at it at my skull.

what about B vitamins? Potassium? Calcium?

Thank you...
in detox and hoping to make it thru...
Old 02-04-2006, 09:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome, addictionbites3. I am going to start a new thread for you. You'll get more responses that way.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2Step
My dreams are currently directed by Steven King.
ROFL! Great analogy but I think you're wrong mate! I'm sure he can't be in two places at the same time and he's been with me the last 2 nights!
Today is my 3rd day and I've been sweating like mad too

Originally Posted by 2Step
Right now I'm glad that I'm single so no one has to witness this.
Again, I know what you mean. I have a partner and it's embarassing but one thing I would say to Panic, is that if you quit drinking you might be sick for a few days or whatever, but if you don't quit drinking you will be sick for the rest of your life and might even die. That's the way I look at it and I don't want to die so I'm almost welcoming these symptoms as I know that however unpleasant they are it's a sign that the monster inside me is dying and he knows it so he's fighting back hard with these symptoms but if I feed him with alcohol then he'll come back to life and the symptoms might go away for now, but they'll come back much worse, with more besides and for the rest of my life (however long that would be...?)

Alcohol withdrawl symptoms is the monster inside you dying. He knows you're killing him and he's struggling to make you feed him. Don't do it. Don't let him win. Starve him of alcohol and he will die. Don't let him trick you. Be strong. It won't last forever and if you stay strong you will win.

Good Luck
Best wishes
Molly
xxx

Last edited by spacegirl; 02-04-2006 at 01:25 PM. Reason: used bad grammar