Notices

Night Sweats

Old 10-23-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Stevee!

Keep reading and posting, maybe even introduce yourself on the newcomers thread?

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-24-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I have always been extremely curious as to what causes night sweats. Does anyone know what is going on physiologically with body as it detoxes from alcohol? All my related searches were not fruitful.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Hi all. 1st time at this site let alone posting, but after last's nights terrible sleep I had to Google "Night Sweats". These things make little sense to me; freezing your ass off and sweating PROFUSELY all over your body.? I had these last spring and thought I just had the flu or something and didn't think much about it. I'd say I'm a heavy drinker, usually consuming roughly 400 ml of whiskey each night after work. I'm trying to reduce this amount by measuring and slowly weening myself off to where I can just have a drink whenever I want and not be alcohol dependent. Last night the liquor store was closed and I had very little to drink and got these crazy night sweats that you all have unfortunately experienced. Oddly enough on work trips and such, I've gone cold turkey for a few weeks and had no problem at all with these. I'm thinking I'm going to try the weening process mentioned above to reduce my drinking.

thanks for any feedback.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Elasticity - welcome

I wish you luck with the weaning down thing and then moderating your drinking but - gotta be honest - it never worked that way for me.

I was never really a normal drinker - I always drank to get wasted - so there was no normal drinking to return to.

No amount of time off from drinking reset me either.

I certainly don't miss the night sweats.

The other bit of possible bad news I have is unfortunately for some of us there's this thing could alcoholic kindling - it basically means that over time our withdrawals tend to get worse.

I found that whenever I returned to drinking, the withdrawal stuff came back too.

D
Old 11-12-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Alcohol lowers your body temp. Sweats at night are caused when your body temp falls. If you drink regularly your body temp is already lowered when you go to bed. If you stop drinking suddenly then it might cause sweats when you go to sleep with a higher body temp that then falls later in the night. That was my experience

Night sweats can also be caused by anxiety. I've had mild ones going back on and off 20 years. Meaning sweats from my head and chest, not whole body. They started again a while back when I had some bad anxiety. I started taking Ativan and they almost completely stopped.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
MrBrad

It'll pass.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2Step View Post
Currently living it! Have to crawl to the fridge in middle of the night to get water, totally dehydrated. My dreams are currently directed by Steven King and I tend to have some odd twitches.

I remember at my previous quit sobriety attempt it took me a few days for most of the sweating and twitching to go away. Right now I'm glad that I'm single so no one has to witness this.
"Dreams directed by Steven King "
I like it , your doing well keep fighting ! My last relapse ( over year ago ) I was in a half dream state seeing a girl child pawing at my window and crying , then fully awoke to think somethings coming for me , look forward to deep REM sleep waking blissfully and contented
Old 06-18-2018, 04:25 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Stag weekend - night sweats

Hi all, what a great resource for people to come to looking for advice. Just like me in this case.

I am not a crazy drinker, I will enjoy a beer most weekends if that. However the past weekend, Thursday night, Friday, Saturday and Sunday night I was at a friends stag weekend. It was a heavy weekend of alcohol non-stop for practically most days. On top of this was total lack of sleep - 4/5 hours per night.

I have now returned back home and suffering night sweats. Is this normal in my situation - be that a non long time drinker, albeit a crazy weekend binge ?

I’m currently on day 2 of night sweats, first night began on the last day of stag (2 hour sleep night).

Looking for help and reassurance this will pass soon

Thanks, Ali. (Alco is mixture of my names - not meant to imply alcohol). Thanks
Old 06-18-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Alco

all I can tell you is yeah that was normal for me. I know this is not what you want to hear but I think it's a part of physical withdrawal.

D
Old 06-18-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Alco

all I can tell you is yeah that was normal for me. I know this is not what you want to hear but I think it's a part of physical withdrawal.

D
Thanks Dee for replying.

Such a horrid sleep and hope it will pass soon. Any suggestions to help it pass soon?
Old 06-18-2018, 09:44 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

It takes as long as it takes. If you are not drinking at all it usually passes about 3 days after your bender.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:54 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

OMG...those night sweats, every withdrawal I've had for the past 3 years has been horrible with the night sweating. Waking up soaked is no fun, with body temp sensations going from hot cold all night long, and then that weird chemical smell on your pillow and sheets from the sweat.

I remember one withdrawal I went through on Thanksgiving week, it was freezing that night according to everyone and I was there on the couch and I swear it felt like it was 85 degrees inside my house and of course was all sweaty. Not a good memory that for sure.

Definitely something I'm not going to miss