Notices

Night Sweats

Old 02-05-2006, 06:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
stillbitter

That reminds me, I need to wash my sheets. For years, my wife would complain about me jerking and twitching while sleeping. I always knew it was the alcohol, but was too numb to care. My side of the bed is a dingy brown from the sweats. 7 days sober today, time to do some laundry. No wonder I felt like I was rotting for years. Now I have hope for today--

Chris
Old 02-05-2006, 05:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Putting fresh clean sheets on the bed could be symbollic Still? Throwing out the old ones with the old way of life? You're a couple of days ahead of me, I'll be 5 days sober tomorrow.

Exciting isn't it?
Old 09-17-2008, 11:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Possibly helpful tip

I don't have a lot to contribute but I thought I would contribute whatever I can -- for whomever might be reading.

First, I've found the hot/cold flashes and night sweats hit me pretty hard even when I reduce my drinking. And for me, it usually occurs within a day.

Second, I agree whole-heartedly with everyone who has said that such symptoms can actually be looked at as a positive, as a sign your body wants to recover but must go through difficult chemical changes to do so.

However, I am a bit surprised at the fairly blasé attitude towards them. For me, these night sweats can be brutal. I can only assume that either my tolerance for this discomfort is unusually low, or that certain people experience the symptom to a greater degree than others (or perhaps both.)

I would like to point out that there is some small amelioration available for those like me who are so heavily affected by this recovery symptom. And it comes from the fact that night sweats is also a common side-effect of menopause. If you do a search for something like "sweat suit for night sweats" on any reputable search engine you will find many options for things like special pajamas (for women anyway) and sheets, bedding, etc., designed to keep you comfortable. These aren't cheap, and not 100% effective. But for those of you who are extremely impacted by this particular symptom (to the point you are considering drinking again) I would like to extend this as an alternative.

Peace.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR, Alcoholicgenes!

Great to see a new user.

If you get a chance you might want to start a thread to introduce yourself so others can get to know you.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Alcoholicgenes, Welcome to the SR Alcoholism Forum
Old 09-18-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yeah I always remember having drenching sweats either the night I was drinking or the day off. And sleep under the influence of alcohol is really lousy indeed, I stopped getting 6 or 7 hours, and started getting maybe 3-5 hours, where I'd wake up and need to have a few drinks to get back to bed.

Stick with it, the longer your prolong the harder it'll be.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Arrow

Originally Posted by WidespreadPanic View Post
Everytime I try to quit drinking I wake up soaked. Is this normal during detox?
This is one of the early symptoms of Delirium tremens (colloquially, the DTs).

Other symptoms include;

"The main symptoms are confusion, disorientation and agitation and other signs of severe autonomic instability (fever, tachycardia, hypertension). Other common symptoms include intense hallucinations such as visions of insects, snakes or rats (or stereotypically, pink elephants or tiny figures). These may be related to the environment, e.g., patterns on wallpaper that the patient would perceive as giant spiders attacking him or her."
Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trisomy21 View Post
And sleep under the influence of alcohol is really lousy indeed, I stopped getting 6 or 7 hours, and started getting maybe 3-5 hours, where I'd wake up and need to have a few drinks to get back to bed.
God I hated that! I would get stumbling drunk, go through the motions of going to bed (turn off all of the lights, crawl up the stairs, collapse into the bed in the clothes that I had been wearing for a day or two) only to lay there in a half sleep for an hour or so. Back up and drank more so I could pass out properly.

The more I read these threads the more I realize how many symptoms have gone away since I stopped. I too would sweat profusely at night. During the day I would sweat but it felt thick and greasy and I stank no matter how much I showered! Another wierd one is that the bottom of my feet used to sweat a lot and now they don't. Go figure!
Old 09-18-2008, 01:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober 6/5/2008

This is the thread that brought me to SR

Last January (2008) my foot was tender and inflamed. I thought it might be gout, so I thought it'd be a good idea to seriously curtail my alcohol consumption.

By February I started experiencing ferocious night sweats. I'd wake up every couple hours and have to change my t-shirt and occasionally even have to change the bed linens. I was also weak, feverish, having bizarre dreams and feeling pretty crappy.

That was when I did a couple google searches on night sweats and found this thread on SR.

It turned out alcohol withdrawal wasn't the problem. Not even close.

My mom brow beat me into seeing my doctor who insisted I visit the emergency room. They didn't have much to tell me until a week later my blood culture came back. It turns out all along I had a bacterial infection in my blood. The sweats and fever were not from alcohol but from my body trying to fight off infection.

That night (Monday) I was admitted to the hospital and put on a regimen of reintravenous antibiotics.

On Friday I had a stroke when a tendril of infection detatched itself from one of my heart valves and landed in my brain.

On Sunday I had open-heart surgery and had my infected valve replaced with a titanium-teflon job good for 50,000 years.

The moral of this story is don't come to SR looking for medical advice.

Since then, having had an opportunity to reflect upon the quality of my life, I've come back to SR for support in my efforts to live a sober life. In fact, oday is day 105.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Whever I give up..

Unluckily I suffer fromthese too. I tend to find they go away after about 3 days, I know it seems like along tims but they do eventually pass.
The biggest thing for me is eating during those days, that passes too though.
I do tend to find anti-nausea pills help a lot during those days, something like Proclorpezaine, you'll need to get these from you Doc though and remain off Alcohol.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:51 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

This is very interesting!

I'm just coming off of my first-ever binge. Haven't had a drink since Tuesday morning. I feel the worst of the withdrawals are over, the shaking and the anxiety. And I'm FINALLY able to sleep again, at least for a few hours at a time. But I keep waking up with sweaty legs.

But now that I think about it, I'm not sure that was happening until just this week (and I think I would remember something so unpleasant!) so maybe it is just more withdrawal symptoms. That's oddly comforting. Can't wait till I'm totally clean and everything goes back to normal.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

i only had the the sweats one night but the twitches and brain zaps , almost like elctric shocks would wake me up everytime i would start to falll aleep. i thought i was a bout to seizure they were getting stronger and stronger. dont F with them, if they start please go to the ER.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcohol INVADES the body as a whole and leaves through the pores in the skin.

Yep, withdrawal, and it can last for weeks. When i quit crack 6 1/2 years ago i stunkSTUNK TO HIGH HEAVEN for over a month!

Today, i perspire normally and NO stink! 76 days off alcohol & weed.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

This is an old thread going back to 2005. I recognize almost none of the members posting from back then, so I guess they have moved on. As Dee says, people come and people go. Hopefully, they are doing well.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
~sb

try to eat a balanced meal, 3 times a day to get your kreb cycle normal, nap if needed, and drink a LOT of water. forget vitamins unless doctor recommended
Old 08-02-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

This thread is helpful. I get night sweats after a night of drinking and I wake up soaked. Currently I am not sleeping well and I seem to have an abundance of "nervous energy" as I don't know what else to call it. I'm thinking it may be a withdrawal symptom.

I'm on day 2 and I feel less in a fog but I have absolutely no energy. Also, I have the weirdest, creepiest dreams when I drink. I don't think I've any weird ones (yet) since I stopped. I wish I could settle myself down, though...
Old 08-04-2011, 01:43 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I have this, and am not sure if its related to my drinking problem or anxiety problem. I suspect it can be a combination of both.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
~sb

Sweating = alcohol leaving body and will normalize eventually

Sweating is not the beginning of DT for all; it's normal detoxification (detox) or the body removing toxic or unnecessary substances

Call your doctor who is knowledgeable in the area of alcoholism, not all are, they just "think" they are
Old 08-04-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

sindyluhu I have no energy either. Its my third day and first real attempt to quit my nightly wine binges. he nervousness is a symptom from what I have been reading and researching. All i want to do is sleep but have been having violent dreams. for me, i think my sweating has actually gotten better since i quit already. ive never been a sweaty person and this last year my face is always sweaty. i wonder if withdrawal night sweats will come for me at all? how are you doing today?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:53 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'm on day 15 and have had night sweats almost every night during that time. They are getting to be lighter sweats and less stinky as time goes by. I've also had some nightmares. Not every single night, but close. I take Ambien CR which is supposed to last for eight hours. And since I normally wait about an hour to go to bed after I take the Ambien, I continue to sleep an hour or so after the effects of the pill have worn off. I notice that I'm having the worst nightmares during that last hour. Since the Ambien has already worn off, I wouldn't even say that I'm fully asleep. More like a half sleep. And instead of going into a fully developed dream, I might just have a scary image pop up and freak me out. This morning the image looked like a zombie corpse of a little girl who rushed me and put her creepy face close to mine. I was awake enough to tell her to go away and surround myself with protective white light. Last week it was a weird tribal/ritual masked person that I had to tell to go away.