Notices

Substitute for alcohol. Is there any?

Old 07-27-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

I found ,somthing cold to drink on the ride home from work really helpful .

A blue gatorade was my substitute ,plus i actually felt better after drinking one -not worse .
Old 07-27-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

My substitute for drnking the night away is two-fold. #1: Being of service to my fellows in my AA Meetings...in my own way. I bake in the evening, when just a short while back I would have been drinking 'my' wine. Now, I'm baking my goodies for the next days meeting. #2: Instead of continuing to drink, I enjoy coming into our bedroom and reading SR before bedtime. So, instead of passing out each night, SR is like a meeting before going to sleep. Now, actual liquids I drink. Even when I drank alcohol, I had carbonated water all day, till I switched to wine for the night. I still do the same thing (MINUS THE WINE). I haven't liked soda since I was a teenager. Water... YUM,it's TRUE....nothing else will quench your thirst.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

I have a sober friend who swears by Becks non-alcoholic beer. He drinks for the taste. He's been a sober member of AA for over 25 yrs.

Personally I never drank for the taste, but rather for the effect. Drinking Non-Alcoholic drinks made me crave the release of the real thing leading to relapses.

Today I like to add 2 packets of Emergen-C to my water every now and then. Feels like a real treat.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

The spiritual experience and psychic change the program (12 steps as outlined in AAs Big Book).

It has to be done in order to be experienced.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

My best substitute for alcohol is the high self esteem and self respect I recieve from not building my world around a poisonous beverage.
It is fun to be addicted to feeling good about oneself.
And you carry it around with you wherever you go.... very practical! You're always prepared for any occasion that may arise when you carry self respect in your pocket!
Old 01-14-2018, 11:09 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Substitute for Alcohol

I have found that the best substitute for alcohol is cocoa. I make it with about two thirds water and one third milk with a half teaspoon of sugar. Maybe it is the chocolate that does the trick!
Old 01-14-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Old thread...but I've found substitutes strangely important, I take a chilled bottle of Pellegrino into my bath. I also drink diet mountain dew or other diet soda, because I avoid sugar and don't have issues enjoying the sweet taste of diet soda. I order Pellegrino in restaurants.

Here's a weird Pavlovian thing. After starting to drink my Pellegrino I get that same relaxed slightly euphoric feeling. My brain isn't convinced with it, haha. I was a hard seltzer drinker. It's a similar taste.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Vodandoxy

When I first got sober for 3 months, I was drinking about maybe 15 bottles of N.A. beer a day. We even cleared out the entire of the Dominican republic of the stuff When we went on holiday there. Here we are 2 years later, and on day 2 of my recovery. Abstinence from alcohol of any type must be the key. AA is a substitute for many. But to me a member of AA you have to have a desire to drinking. If you don't have a desire to stop drinking completely and would like to control it instead, technically there isnt a seat in an AA meeting for you (unless it's and Open meeting.) Stop drinking those three beer a week I suggest as, never week next month or next year, who know - you could by dead or in prison.

Good luck.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:44 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

There is no substitute in my mind,
Old 01-14-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcoem to SR Brillig and vodandoxy

D
Old 01-15-2018, 01:02 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Lpg

I know I couldn't drink na, it would leave me longing for the effect of alcohol and the taste would trigger me. I do find sometimes I get a thirst that only something fizzy will take away so I have been drinking more fizzy drinks like a cream soda or ginger beer. Also a milkshake has become a new fav.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:30 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Read "A Vision for You" in the big book of alcoholics anonymous. Yes, there is a solution and there is a substitute.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Ditto: cranberry + sparkling water, a twist of lime
Old 01-15-2018, 10:41 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
Read "A Vision for You" in the big book of alcoholics anonymous. Yes, there is a solution and there is a substitute.
Just read this chapter today! So much to learn. I found the part about the about the boy whistling in the dark trying to fool himself about how great his soberity is but inwardly would take 6 drinks if he could and it kind of made me think about my own reactions lately! I keep re reading parts as I read things differently every time.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Some of my favorites: Diet mountain dew on the rocks! Or coffee - regular in morning and decaf at night. Or hot green tea at night. Or water on the rocks with a sweet n low!

Whatever you choose just make sure it's not alcohol! You'll get used to it after a while and it's healthier!
Old 01-16-2018, 11:36 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
I agree completely.

Mediterranean diets, reading, hot chocolate, Chamomile tea, yoga, cardio exercise, etc. may be very enjoyable life enhancements, but they don't constitute a plan of recovery.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lpg View Post
Just read this chapter today! So much to learn. I found the part about the about the boy whistling in the dark trying to fool himself about how great his soberity is but inwardly would take 6 drinks if he could and it kind of made me think about my own reactions lately! I keep re reading parts as I read things differently every time.
It is my favorite chapter. I get so much relief that I am on a road that goes somewhere when I read it.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:59 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

If there were a substitute for alcohol, it would have to destroy your life and the lives of those around you.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:13 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Herbal teas. Cranberry juice but a fancy sort with not much sugar, or black cherry organic juice and then add tonic or diet tonic. Maybe some lime. Pellegrino is also my favorite and so is the blood orange Pellegrino, a soft drink. Geroldstein if you can get it, it's German sparkly water. Also, the taste of alcohol will leave bothering you if you have some really good food.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:53 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

My substitute for alcohol is life.