Notices

Substitute for alcohol. Is there any?

Old 09-21-2005, 09:51 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by nocellphone
Well, wouldja look at that? I've been riding this rock around the sun for 37 years now, and only today is it made clear to me that there is actually alcohol in orange juice! Who'da thunk it?

'Knob, I stand (or rather, sit) corrected! My apologies for thinking you were completely off yer bean for a bit there...

Quite an educational day at the NCP house...

Thanks, Doorknob!

And, lest I forget, a big thank you to Google: Helping people not have to think or actually remember anything since 1996!
Hey, no problemo! Although, I still may be off my bean!

And, lest I forget, a big thank you to Google: Helping people not have to think or actually remember anything since 1996!
LMAO! It's amazing how often I end up having to go back and look up the same thing!

Day 10,

DK
Old 09-21-2005, 09:55 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by doorknob
Hey, no problemo! Although I still may be off my bean!
Oh, I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaay offa mine. The good part is that I'm aware of this today and am actively working to do something about it!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:36 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

i don't understand the non-alcoholic beer route, either
.5% alcohol
3 of them equals a beer
it's a program of abstinence
as in 0% alcohol

best
fraankie
Old 09-22-2005, 08:44 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
learning

Originally Posted by fraankie
i don't understand the non-alcoholic beer route, either
.5% alcohol
3 of them equals a beer
it's a program of abstinence
as in 0% alcohol

best
fraankie

I don’t drink the stuff either, simply because it tastes nasty.

But to be fair the MOST alcohol you will find in an NA is .5%

Regular beer averages around 5%

If my math is correct that means that you would have to drink 10 of the highest alcohol content NAs to reach an average beer.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:15 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Huh?

Is it ok to drink OJ? Im scared.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:31 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by FriendofBill
Huh?

Is it ok to drink OJ? Im scared.
I'm not sure if it's ok to drink OJ, but I would certainly advise against marrying him...
Old 09-22-2005, 05:18 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I tried O'douls at first. Sent me right back to the real thing. Then I tried pouring coke or pepsi into empty beer bottles.....

I dunno,...but I find it hard to believe that someone who used to drink ten beers a day,...isn't an alcoholic. The people who say they are now drinking in moderation and its working,....of course it works at first. They told you it was working WHILE it was working. What you dont see is the decline and fall back to their old drinking or worse. They arent going to call you up and tell you THAT part.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:27 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=StayingSober]I find that whilst I do have my drinking under control, I do still drink a couple of beers a week (only light beers too, anything stronger scares me because I don't trust myself with it) but whilst this doesn't bother me, there are people in my life who I don't want to hurt and if I go from 2-3 beers a week to about 10 a day again, then that would be hurting them.

In reply to your question about a substitute for alcohol. Try water, lots of it.My first six or so months sober I bought just about every brand of bottle water I could find and always had a bottle close at hand.I even treated myself to some of the 'designer" brands just for the fun of it.

However, I would like to comment some more on your post and hopefully give you something to think about.

You say you have your "drinking under control" but yet in the same breath you say "You don't trust yourself to drink anything stronger and it scares you." You also go on to say that you are concerned about "hurting people in your life with your drinking"

In my opinion people who have their "drinking under control" do not have to be concerned about strong drink and about hurting others with their drinking.

People who "have their drinking under control" don't even have to think about "controlling their drinking". They don't have to. Drinking simply just isn't an issue for them.

I happen to believe that very few of us have the ability to become "moderate drinkers " once we have already crossed the invisible line into "uncontrolled drinking".

We may sip light beer for months......... even years and strenghten our own conviction that "controlled drinking" has been achieved but ultimately some circumstance in life will trigger the craving in us.

I too loved the taste of alcohol........I love it too much to even risk sticking my tongue in a spoonful of medicine containing alcohol.

Is the taste really worth the risk?

I know enough to avoid fooling around with something that already blew up in my face.

Best of luck to you.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:32 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I've tried the British versions of NA beer in other (failed) sobriety periods. They contain so many additional chemicals to the real thing that I ended up with a banging headache...a side effect I never got from drinking high volume beer!
Old 09-23-2005, 02:12 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Peter]
Originally Posted by StayingSober
I find that whilst I do have my drinking under control, I do still drink a couple of beers a week (only light beers too, anything stronger scares me because I don't trust myself with it) but whilst this doesn't bother me, there are people in my life who I don't want to hurt and if I go from 2-3 beers a week to about 10 a day again, then that would be hurting them.

In reply to your question about a substitute for alcohol. Try water, lots of it.My first six or so months sober I bought just about every brand of bottle water I could find and always had a bottle close at hand.I even treated myself to some of the 'designer" brands just for the fun of it.

However, I would like to comment some more on your post and hopefully give you something to think about.

You say you have your "drinking under control" but yet in the same breath you say "You don't trust yourself to drink anything stronger and it scares you." You also go on to say that you are concerned about "hurting people in your life with your drinking"

In my opinion people who have their "drinking under control" do not have to be concerned about strong drink and about hurting others with their drinking.

People who "have their drinking under control" don't even have to think about "controlling their drinking". They don't have to. Drinking simply just isn't an issue for them.

I happen to believe that very few of us have the ability to become "moderate drinkers " once we have already crossed the invisible line into "uncontrolled drinking".

We may sip light beer for months......... even years and strenghten our own conviction that "controlled drinking" has been achieved but ultimately some circumstance in life will trigger the craving in us.

I too loved the taste of alcohol........I love it too much to even risk sticking my tongue in a spoonful of medicine containing alcohol.

Is the taste really worth the risk?

I know enough to avoid fooling around with something that already blew up in my face.

Best of luck to you.
Bravo........

I was beginning to think I was all alone in seeing the HUGE flaw in his plan.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:18 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Old 09-23-2005, 05:09 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by nocellphone
I'm not sure if it's ok to drink OJ, but I would certainly advise against marrying him...
Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!

He literally lives down the street from me, about 1.5 miles.
ANd, boy do I have a story(ies) about him. Another day.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:56 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Midas

Walking the thin grey line of NA non-alcoholic beverages as a substitute for REAL™ beer, can be quite dangerous. I've tried a few of the near-beers & the NA wine Ariel a few years back when I originally considered stopping my alcohol consumption. Kaliber (Guiness brewing) is very bitter. O'Douls is decent, but too bittersweet. The Original Near Beer, is similar to Labatt's Lite or Pabst Blue Ribbon that's been severely watered down.

Kingsbury NA is visually appealing, but some beer connoisseurs are put off by it's pungeancy. Heileman's Kingsbury Non-Alcoholic Brew, traditionally brewed and contains less than 0.5% alcohol by volume. It's a moderately decent NA beer.

The irony and the catch--eventually you'd find yourself drinking a case or more just to get just the slightest teensy weensy buzz.

On the other hand, hops (available through most home-brewing supply stores, or in capsule form available through an herbalist) is the chief ingredient in a wide variety of beers. There are over 1000 different species of Hop flower (the bud or cone that hang from the trailing vine).

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/h/hops--32.html

The active component in Hops is Lupinine. It's in the same family as stinging nettle, and can have a very bitter alkaline taste. Like the old saying, "Bitter as quinine".

According to a few privately funded research reports, Hop flowers also contain a homologous precursor to Delta-5 Tetrahydrocannabinol. It's not exactly the same chemical as THC, but it's very close.

I started taking Hop capsules when I had three month's sobriety. I found it to be very soothing and relaxing, without the trademark ''high'' of marijuana.
Hops can elicit a mild euphoric feeling when taken in large amounts, in excess of 750 mg.

As of New Year's Day 2005, I no longer take Hop capsules. I ran out and didn't bother reordering more from the Herbalist. When I realized it could re-trigger my addiction for pot all over again, I quit.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

There is a lot of information about Hops available on the Internet. I enjoyed researching the voluminous data--it was very educational.

Bottom Line: If you want to ween your consumption down to 1 or 2 beers a month, you might as well close that chapter and quit entirely.

Just some food for thought!

Old 09-23-2005, 10:27 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by FriendofBill
Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!

He literally lives down the street from me, about 1.5 miles.
ANd, boy do I have a story(ies) about him. Another day.
And you continue to live there why???
Old 09-23-2005, 10:29 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by Midas
I enjoyed researching the voluminous data--it was very educational.
I enjoyed your use of the word "voluminous"! Ya don't see that one bandied about every day!
Old 09-23-2005, 10:57 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Midas

LoL, Thanx nocellphone. You're probably right about the word 'voluminous'. It's almost archaic. But I'm sure I've heard Vidal Sassôn use the word glibly to describe his hair care products for that 'big poofy hair' look. Funny thing too, I'm utilizing words I didn't even think were part of my vernacular resources. I seem to be quite the verbose and flamboyant character lately.

Old 09-24-2005, 12:31 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Dan

Indubitably.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:59 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Bravo........

I was beginning to think I was all alone in seeing the HUGE flaw in his plan.
I never said that it was a good idea, or that I expected it to work.
Let me explain.
I honestly couldn't care less if the drinking gets out of control again. That is, if it only hurts me. There are worse things in life than being an alcoholic. And drinking only a little worked just fine when I was only worried about myself (even if only because I wasn't worried), but as I said, things are starting to get better in my life so I'm actually starting to care about the future, and not just what's easiest right now. That and I can't help but remember the dissapointment/disgust people seemed to feel when they found out about my drinking last time it got out of control, I'd hate to hurt the people I care about like that again.
Which is why I posted this thread, asking for suggestions to help me stop drinking completely.

And Peter, you make a good point. The drinking isn't under control, it's a hell of a lot better controlled than it used to be, but it's not quite there yet. Thanks for sharing your opinion on this, it really was/is helpful to hear that.

And to all the people who suggested bottled water, I can't believe I overlooked that. It's a good idea, thanks for suggesting it, I do appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:16 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I can't think of anything more excruciating than trying to limit one's drinks.

http://www.freep.com/news/nw/plead30_20000630.htm
Old 09-24-2005, 09:51 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I honestly couldn't care less if the drinking gets out of control again. That is, if it only hurts me

Why do you care about other peoples feelings, but not your own?

Thats self-loathing.

You cannot love another without first loving yourself so everytime you drink you hurt yourself, thereby become unable to love another thereby you are hurting them.

Is this ok with you?