SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Anyone come across the SASSI test? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/67965-anyone-come-across-sassi-test.html)

equus 08-19-2005 02:49 AM

Anyone come across the SASSI test?

SASSI is a psychometric test - the letter stand for: Substance Abuse Subtle Screening Inventory.

D got the results for his yesterday and they blew me away! (he wanted me there to hear them with him). It goes beyond 'classic' substance abuse stuff and was spot on - I mean frighteningly (but in a good way).

I'm not going go into the areas covered because we only got results and I think they should be 100% private - except maybe that they supported him being open to treatment, serious, etc.

Basically I WAS one huge sceptic of psychometrics but I'm still reeling - I can't believe a test could really do that, yet I heard the results, I know it did!

I'd love to hear if anyone else has taken this - not what the results were but what YOU thought about the accuracy.

Also I thought it might be handy feedback for anyone who's offered the test in the future, I mean flip - I want to do it now.... :bunny5:

equus 08-19-2005 03:46 AM

A slightly better description!! (As mine was rubbish). I think the reference is obvious.

Welcome to the SASSI Direct Web Site

The Substance Abuse Subtle Screening Inventory is a psychometric screening instrument which identifies substance abuse and dependence disorders, even when the individual is unable or unwilling to acknowledge a problem or symptoms associated with it.

#The Adult SASSI 3 has an overall accuracy of 93%
#The Adolescent SASSI A2 has an overall accuracy of 95%
#It also produces a hypothetical psychological profile of the individual, which can be useful in engaging and motivating them and in care planning with them.
#The SASSI is not intended to replace a thorough individual assessment, but to be used as a supplement to such an assessment.
#The measure takes approximately 15 minutes to administer, and 1-2 minutes to score.
#There is an adolescent version, which is suitable for use with 12 to 18 year olds and an adult version, which is intended for use with people aged 18 and upwards.
#There is a pencil and paper version of the measure, and there are electronic versions, intended for organisations dealing with larger numbers of clients.
#The purpose of the SASSI is to help people with substance misuse problems. Its use for any other purpose is unethical. SASSI Direct Ltd maintains a register of trained users and applicants with professional eligibility to purchase.
#All SASSI materials are copyright.

splendra 08-19-2005 04:16 AM

I am wondering about this test...does it depend on honesty? I am wondering if this test asks question directly related to comsumption of drugs and alcohol?

It seems that if a honest person answers these questions that possibly they could be identified as a substance abuser when they are not and if a dishonest person answers they could be ruled out as a substance abuser.

I went to their web site and read most of it. It seems that the test could help a person who wants help with their substance abuse. But not being able to veiw the questions makes me think that this could be another way of clogging the system with more paper work....

equus 08-19-2005 04:21 AM

But not being able to veiw the questions makes me think that this could be another way of clogging the system with more paper work...
I think that's to limit it to proffessional use - and I agree with that absolutely for two reasons. First of all the psychological profile scared me with it's accuracy, I don't think anything like that should be placed at risk of being used without proper support. Secondly it measure vulnerability to substance dependency disorders - not just the presence of them. The evidence of the power of self fulfilling prophecies is enough to again make me agree it should NOT be taken by anyone except to help with their substance misuse. Even if that does mean I can't have a go!

I would hate to see this test applied by any Tom, Dick or Harry that can add up.

Edit - sorry I forgot to answer your question regarding whether it relies on honesty.

which identifies substance abuse and dependence disorders, even when the individual is unable or unwilling to acknowledge a problem or symptoms associated with it.
This is a quote from the quote above and has been one of the reasons for my surprise. Without understanding how psychometrics work it's difficult to explain how what they claim can be achieved - but to test beyond how a person would like to appear is a primary goal of psychometrics as a method (hence my scepticism).

The results of this totally blew me away - the results of the profile demonstrated to me the validity of the results about D not being defensive or trying to hide stuff. His profile results had nothing to do with his 'image' and EVERYTHING to do with all his 'buttons'. It certainly achieved it's goal of guiding the counsellor!

I also think it validated to D that they do have something to offer!

splendra 08-19-2005 04:52 AM

What I am saying is if a person does not want to be discovered to be a substance abuser this test may not do any good if it depends on honest answers about their use.If it asks question to determine underlining motivations and issues maybe it could help to discover a persons substance abuse.

I know some pretty smart addicts that would not want to be found out that they are using....they could hide the moon from the sky if they wanted too so I am just saying this test could just clog the system with more papers and only help if the person wanted to be helped. I know that any of the addicts in my family could take a psyc test designed to discover if they had a drug problem and come out smelling like a rose because they do not want to be found out and they are able to manuever around anything that would keep them from being discovered.

equus 08-19-2005 05:13 AM

I think this might be side tracking things a bit. The test is restricted to proffessionals in substance abuse and addiction - it's stated as unethical to be given in absence of a substance misuse problem so I don't think it's relevent to try and guess whether it would 'catch' people who don't want to be found out using.

I posted because I thought it was incredibly accurate and has alot to offer, I think that might help anyone reading who is getting addiction counselling and might be offered the test. I think it's a great tool and another reason why there are benefits to getting proffessional help.

I also admit I was SO amazed I wondered about other's personal experience of it's accuracy (again NOT their results - just what folk thought of how accurate it was).

minnie 08-19-2005 07:35 AM

I've not done this test, but I have done other psychometrics and they are uncannily accurate. Even down to suggesting the fact that I was having relationship problems (with a previous ex), even though there were no questions about relationships. Very clever.

spacemanspiff10 04-11-2009 03:21 PM

SASSI for the non-truthful

I am a mental health professional who has used the SASSI, from what my clients have said, it is also accurate for untruthful (trying to hide) substance users. I guess that is why it is so widely used and popular. I use it as an initial screening test, to help shape the treatment plan. It has been very helpful.

CarolD 04-11-2009 06:33 PM

It's interesting to see old threads pop back up.
:)
equus and Minnie are no longer SR members.
splendra is.. and actively sharing on SR.

Members come
Members go
Bless them all on their journy

CarolD 04-11-2009 06:35 PM

spacemanspiff10 ....Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum
:wavey:

vanderlinden 07-13-2009 07:07 PM

I am an addict in recovery and solely rely on the twelve steps. Time caught up with me and I was arrested last year for a crime I commited 6 months before I got clean, which was over 5 years ago. My last requirement is to complete the SASSI. I fear I may get caught up in having to pay for treatment or counseling if I am to be honest. I have never taken the SASSI and quite frankly I am okay with keeping the government out of my recovery program. It has been proven to me that the government generally has a different definition of addict than I do. I've had my driver's license taken away at 3 years clean when I went to renew because they asked me if I was addicted to drugs or alcohol and I told them yes. This test can't be foolproof, can it?

CarolD 07-14-2009 06:10 PM

Welcome to SR.....:wavey:

I have no information on this test. I'm sorry.

The member who posted about it is no longer here
and that test was given in England 4 years ago.

Perhaps Google would have information.
A NA group? A lawyer?

Please check this Forum...it mght have information

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/

Hope someone will come along with facts.
Sorry you are having difficulties

Nukemm33 01-06-2011 03:25 PM

Too defensive?

So I got a DWI mid June and I had to take this test. First, let me say that I do not do drugs. I do drink about once a week, usually three beers. The test scored me a 9 out of 11(apparently 98th percentile) for defensiveness and now I have to take outpatient therapy....I mean, maybe I am just being defensive but I hardly consider myself a substance addict...I do agree I am defensive in life in general but I don't get the corrolation to drugs or alcohol and why I must undergo therapy because of it. But...I have to do it regardless so I guess I just have to get it over with and try to get the most out of it.

CarolD 01-07-2011 12:29 AM

Nukemm33....:wavey:
welcome

I certainly hope no one was injured while you were driving
under the influence.
Yes....it is what it is....and I wish you well as you work thru
the legal system.....:yup:

Dee74 01-07-2011 01:38 AM

Welcome to SR Nukemm33
I agree with you - try to get the positives out of this :)

D

Shea88 02-12-2023 07:17 AM

Extremely inaccurate

Originally Posted by equus (Post 618385)
SASSI is a psychometric test - the letter stand for: Substance Abuse Subtle Screening Inventory.

D got the results for his yesterday and they blew me away! (he wanted me there to hear them with him). It goes beyond 'classic' substance abuse stuff and was spot on - I mean frighteningly (but in a good way).

I'm not going go into the areas covered because we only got results and I think they should be 100% private - except maybe that they supported him being open to treatment, serious, etc.

Basically I WAS one huge sceptic of psychometrics but I'm still reeling - I can't believe a test could really do that, yet I heard the results, I know it did!

I'd love to hear if anyone else has taken this - not what the results were but what YOU thought about the accuracy.

Also I thought it might be handy feedback for anyone who's offered the test in the future, I mean flip - I want to do it now.... :bunny5:

I took the test a couple of weeks ago and got my results back last week! I was surprised at how an accurate the results actually were and find it difficult to see how you can get any true results with the questions that are asked. For example one of the questions is did teachers have a trouble with me as a child. I had one teacher in school that was very racist against me growing up and didn’t like my mom so she took that out on me and I don’t think that would have anything to do with substance abuse yet I answer true on this question. A couple others may have said I was challenging because I was very opinionated but I always got good grades in school and my teachers liked me. My main issue is not understanding how a lot of these questions correlate to the results.