Notices

Does your face look different?

Old 09-08-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
I posted this a while back, but here's a before/after of me. I know this is an old thread but since there's renewed interest, here ya go!

Oh my goodness,that's amazing Flutter. you look years younger in the second pic. How long between pics?How long had you been sober in pic 2?

Seriously inspirational pics-thank you,thank you, thank you!
Old 09-08-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Over 26 thousand people read this thread... what does that tell you ?
(yes, l was one of them)
Old 09-08-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Oh yes, my appearance changed greatly after I quit drinking--a lot like you, justhadenough (that is quite a difference)!

I lost that puffy look and strangely enough some of my frown lines disappeared (someone actually asked me if I'd had botox!). One of the many nice side effects.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I look in the mirror and still see the same person, however this doesn't bother me, I never expected physical change.

One thing I will note though is that I was never able to look at myself in the mirror when I was drunk or high. I saw the red eyes, the drunken grin and it filled me with disgust. It got to the point that I would look at the floor when passing by to use the toilet and when I washed my hands I would just stare down into the sink. That won't ever happen again and I guess there is a sense of pride and power in that.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
Oh yes, my appearance changed greatly after I quit drinking--a lot like you, justhadenough (that is quite a difference)!

I lost that puffy look and strangely enough some of my frown lines disappeared (someone actually asked me if I'd had botox!). One of the many nice side effects.
The pics aren't me OTT (sadly) I was quoting Flutter and her pics-she looks fabulous
Old 09-08-2012, 11:38 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
~sb

I think it's less than 26,000, some people kept looking at it! over and over and over....
Old 09-09-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Thanks!! Actually that was about 4 years between pics.. I had found that old one and was like HOLY COW I looked awful and took a new one really quick to compare it. I had been about 3.5 years sober between them.

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
Oh my goodness,that's amazing Flutter. you look years younger in the second pic. How long between pics?How long had you been sober in pic 2?

Seriously inspirational pics-thank you,thank you, thank you!
Old 09-09-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
Thanks!! Actually that was about 4 years between pics.. I had found that old one and was like HOLY COW I looked awful and took a new one really quick to compare it. I had been about 3.5 years sober between them.
It's amazing,thank you. I keep looking at them. I've put on 2 stone over the last 10 years-I say it's baby weight/ageing etc but just kidding myself-it's booze and hangover food.

You have really inspired me to stay committed to sobriety time. Thanks
Old 09-09-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Thanks JHE for pointing me towards this! Amazing pics flutter! Both look good to me, but I recognise the red flush on the chest and neck... sadly now after relapsing I now have a horrid dry, blotchy red pimpled face and the broken veins so apparent... I am taking measures to get back on the sobriety wagon as I was looking pretty good before this last couple of weeks! It's not all about vanity, but feeling good about yourself sure does help
Old 09-09-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Yes, I look much different when drinking and for a day or two afterwards. Red nose cheeks, squinty tired eyes, glazed over hangdog look. Even after a couple days sober its night and day.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I hope I can lose this fat face, day 1 for me...........
Old 04-04-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Smile

my natural color returned. I was very pale before.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

After one full week of no booze my wife says I look like I have lost weight. Must be losing the face puffiness. Eyes are much clearer and whiter, I used to get the visine every morning before leaving the house, now not necessary. Have had terrible rosacea on nose for years, and I can say the redness has reduced considerably.

I like the way this is going.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Face and whole body feels and looks so much better after I stopped taking alcohol and drugs. It doesn't even take that long actually. Ofc. I've started eating healthier and working out too but still.
I don't look so puffy or fat ball head and even I'm naturally pale, but at the worst I really looked like a dead pale, more like light blue. Loss some weight already and just look so much fresher and healthy.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Oh, yes...I have always been on the thin side, tall and slender, and I am coming off of a month long binge, a cpl days drinking then 1 sober then repeat. I gained about 10 lbs in a a cpl week in water weight from beer, just so bloated, red faced, haha and the "terra-cotta" look...red swollen eyes and hands, hair was starting to thin and fall out. I would wake up every morning with random huge bruises on parts of my body from blacking out and falling like some have posted above. I'm on day 2, and trying to drink as much lemon water as I can to start flushing all the toxins out...taking supplements.

This cycle I have been through so many times it seems. As many said above, it gets better and you see such a diff within a week. Stick with it! Glad to see this post Our bodies are our temples, let's stop polluting them!!
Old 06-23-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

My face and colorings are the same but I do not have dark circles under the eyes anymore (probably because I am not dehydrated and sleep rather than pass out).
Old 06-25-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I am still drinking and notice a big difference my face is bloated and I'm fatter around the stomach and it makes me depressed
Old 06-28-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Well as of today, day 16...My rosacea is almost completely cleared up. I have been suffering for decades, and never connected the dots between my beer swilling and my skin condition.

Be well.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I'm on day 5, and fighting the puffy face look. I drank for 2 weeks straight and stopped 5 days ago and still feel so bloated. Drinking tons of liquids and eating well. Hope it goes away soon. I hate looking in the mirror.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Yes. When I was drinking heavily every night my face was very red every day and sweaty. It was so red that people would ask if I was feeling well. Adults and children both commented on my red face.

My eyes were always, always bloodshot. They always looked like I just finished crying moments before. My eyes were glassy and watery.

All of this is gone now.