Notices

From Heroin To Alcohol..

Old 06-24-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

From Heroin To Alcohol..

First post here... Well, it's been a few months I've been dealing with this. It's currently 7:54 AM, and I am just tired of it. I figured I would come here because I feel like I have nowhere else to turn. I'm a 22 year old male that used opioids, and heroin nearly everyday for 2 and a half years from the years 2013-2015 I haven't used heroin in well over a year now. To simply get to the point, I went to detox, and then moved into a halfway house for addicts, and alcoholics immediately after, a little longer than a year ago. I attended 90 meetings in 90 days and I was doing extremely well. To be fair I haven't used any opiate since then, even today. Here is where the actual problem lies at the moment though. I feel as if after I left the halfway house, within a month or two, I found myself drinking moderate amounts of alcohol. At the time it wasn't alerting, but I definitely figured I should keep a watch of how much alcohol I consume (I have heard an alcoholic is an addict, and an addict is an alcoholic, but I never believed this to be true during my time in the program) Here I am at the age of 22 downing typically upwards of 12-15 beers a night, a 5th of the cheapest **** liquor I can get my hands on, or a combination of the both, when not so long ago, I was drinking fairly responsible. I don't understand it. It makes me both sad, and angry at most of the time I drink now'days. I obviously know I have to put down the booze... it just has to be done, just like my past habit, but I just don't know if I should go cold turkey, or what, if I decide to do this. Would the hospital make that decision for me if I decided to check myself into detox again? Within 12-15 hours of my last drink (figuring I've had my usual) I start to jitter, and become very anxious. I have a hard time talking to people, and I've noticed many times when I'm at the liquor store after those 12-15 hours of not having a drink my hands are almost shivery-like when I'm handing the cashier the money. I've done some research on this, and I'm scared the hospital won't give me the medication I need to get through this without feeling like death the entire time I'm there which scares me... sorry for the long post, I just wanted to explain my current situation the absolute best I could without writing an entire book. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Getting a professional medical opinion is hands down the safest way to go.

I can't see any reason why a hospital would deny you help, support (or medication) if they felt you genuinely needed it.

D
Old 06-24-2017, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

sounds like you got some kinda dependancy gonig on.

I spoke to a heroine addict one time years ago. He was into herroine his buddy coke. I said why not some pills or booze or osmething why does it have to be coke and heroine for you guys. They replied thats there poison of choice. For years I figured thats how it goes each gets hooked on there poison of choice. Which i guess holds true to some degree. But i've met others whom it didnt really matter they'd turn any substance into a problem and are best off not messing with any of it.

Gotta be careful. I hope you can get this sorted out.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Obviously not medical advice...
But I go to a hospital. I've done detox and hospital...and I find that the hospital tends to understand the seriousness of it more, as alcohol withdrawal can actually be deadly. They will give you anti anxiety meds...
And please do not pick up the heroin.
I've just buried a 25 year old and a 19 year old in last 3 months. Can't tell you how many countless others I've heard about in meetings. It will kill you.
You can do this. We gotta do this.
GL,
J
Old 06-24-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well you sure know how to pick the substances with the most fun withdrawal symptoms.

I wish you the best, my friend.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We're very happy you're here.

I would go to a hospital and ask for help.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was addicted to opiotes for 6+ years, I had drank for 20 when I kicked the pills but didn't drink out of controll. I drank a lot, and surely had a problem but it was controlable.

When I kicked I turned to alcohol to help with insomnia and all that **** that goes along with withdrawal and developed a nasty alcohol problem. When I was taking all the pills one drink would put me asleep. When I quit I just drank all day and all night.

I definatly replaced one with the other, now I'm trying to kick the alcohol for good. This time I just get to deal with the PAWS.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds best for you to check in with the hospital.

Another problem that I see as a possibility for you if you keep drinking is that, sometimes as we get blitzed on one thing it weakens us to the point in time where we may return to our drug of choice -- I have been to this place many times.

Get strong -- get sober == stay clean and sober.

M-Bob
Old 06-24-2017, 08:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you go to the emergency room (a regular doctor or urgent care center won't treat withdrawal) they will probably give you IV valium, and a prescription for Librium... you'll thank God you have it.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Professiona,l supervision ..inpatient for DT's. 'The shakes'. I had serious seizures, on top of everything else. THAT is dangerous. Then I would suggest rehab. Also counselling and meetings. I have seen many rationalise that replacing drugs with booze is okay. I even know people who think to replace booze or drugs with pot is okay (can cause psychosis). OR that buying over the counter tablets in a chemist is okay. No- it is not . Also people who turn to gambling, or sex, or food, or work. Any addiction is destructive because it means a person is doing abnormal stuff which is damaging, destructive and potentially fatal. On going support- and not self medicating is important. I have known nurses to drink hand sanitiser, smart women who drink perfume, or even people who will go to an AA meeting- and drink a bottle of alcohol based mouth/breath freshener in the toilet in the break. Obviously a person who smells minty fresh at 15 feet is not natural. It has nothing to do with 'looking normal' or that classic 'I am a functioning alcoholic'. I functioned- until I nearly died. It is not even the amount or the drug- it is what it does to the person.
My support and empathy offered.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you're in the US, no hospital emergency department is going to refuse treatment. Tell the triage nurse that you need to speak with a crisis counselor about your fears and your addiction. Be totally open and honest, and they will help you.