Notices

New here

Old 04-25-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hello everyone new here.

Have been browsing this site for a while now, and I really like it here so far.

Like many here I really have an issue with alcohol, I'm kind of off and on with it, I'll stay sober for a good while then I'll go on a binge, and that's my problem, binging. Honestly I'm really sick of it. I have my family and everything and for some reason I continue to imbibe. I just don't get it really.

I want to get better but just can't. Have ended up in the hospital four times in the past year because of the this infliction. Yes they'll give me medication and I get better, but two weeks later I'm back at it. I'm really hoping this doesn't kill me one day, every time I binge it's like non-stop, and that's what makes it horrific.

Anyway like I said earlier I'm happy to be here, hope all is well.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome, Mtphc!
Old 04-25-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you!
Old 04-25-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

WELCOME. DO YOU LIKE ICE HOCKEY BY ANY CHANCE?

Stuff I do- post here. Meetings, journal, see a doc re health, counselling, art, write, try to exercise, HALTS, kind of pray, positive affirm, made- and revise a sobriety plan- each day to cope- understand triggers and heal.
Keep posting.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Never have, but did like playing soccer when I was younger : )
Old 04-25-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome, Mtphc.

yes, it is a baffling thing how we go back repeatedly to something so horrid in spite of our best intentions not to.

hope you'll have a good look around and see how many diverse ways people are doing this. people who often felt/were convinced just like you that I want to get better but just can't.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I googled your name- that is what came up
Old 04-25-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! It sounds like you are at a place with your drinking when you need to get serious about stopping. I hope you find some support here.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! Your drinking sounds a lot like mine... I can go a while without drinking and I start to think I'm okay, that now I can control it.. but that's never the case. I plan on one and end up wanting the entire bottle. I binge EVERY time I drink. It's landed me in the ER as well.

There's so much info on this website to help us understand the disease and coping methods. In the forums we can support each other and remind one another that we are not alone! It can be a very lonely disease, which is why reaching out is so important. Glad you're here!!
Old 04-25-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Welcome. I was in the hospital a lot also. Last time was 26 days ago. Havent had a since. You can do this!
Old 04-25-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for encouraging words!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I'm new here too and can relate to so much of what you are saying! You'll find great support here and you can do this!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verona View Post
Welcome to SR! I'm new here too and can relate to so much of what you are saying! You'll find great support here and you can do this!
Just hope this day is a better one, just so tired of binging and having to go through withdrawal.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Mtphc View Post
I want to get better but just can't. Have ended up in the hospital four times in the past year because of the this infliction. Yes they'll give me medication and I get better, but two weeks later I'm back at it. I'm really hoping this doesn't kill me one day, every time I binge it's like non-stop, and that's what makes it horrific..
Welcome to SR Mtphc, glad you have come here seeking help. I think almost all of us felt like we wanted to get better but "couldn't". Its a very common trick that addiction likes to play....of course we can't get better, might as well just keep drinking, right?

The good news is you can get better, anyone can. If you spend some time here on SR you will see lots and lots of people who have found a new sober life. The key to getting off the roller coaster is first accepting/admitting the problem unconditionally. AKA - admitting that even one drink is too many, and that it will always be that way. Addiction always tries to tell you that the "next time" will be different, that you will just "have a few". But of course you know the results.

Once you have accepted that, building a strong plan/foundation and community of support is key. It's very, very difficult to do this alone...and you have access to thousands of people here who will support your efforts. Don't rule out local support groups either.

This is a great read if you are new to the site as well...talks about lots of different recovery programs and how others have used them.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 04-25-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes thank you, I do accept my alcoholism, I have reached a stage where I just don't know what to do. I'll stop for a while and then I think I'll be ok and buy a pint, at first I can "control" my consumption, and it goes well so-to-speak, but then that one day comes out of the week when I'm off from work and decide to drink in the morning, and nothing good comes out of this, want to drink in moderation but I can't it's a freaking battle when I make that attempt
Old 04-25-2017, 09:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

..of course and it's pretty obvious, stopping is my best option, and that's why I'm here..
Old 04-25-2017, 09:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Mtphc View Post
Yes thank you, I do accept my alcoholism, I have reached a stage where I just don't know what to do. I'll stop for a while and then I think I'll be ok and buy a pint, at first I can "control" my consumption, and it goes well so-to-speak, but then that one day comes out of the week when I'm off from work and decide to drink in the morning, and nothing good comes out of this, want to drink in moderation but I can't it's a freaking battle when I make that attempt
That's good- acceptance is the essential first step. Control, moderation and "thinking you'll be OK" have to be removed from your vocabulary though - none of them are possible.

So what's the next step? Maybe meetings. Maybe seeing a counselor. Maybe spending a lot more time here on SR and joining a monthly group thread. But whatever you choose you need to take action. Have you ever participated in a recovery community ( either online or in person ) before?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

..you are so right.

I have done AA, and have a sponser, but even then it's tough, I have a very stressful life right now, I believe a lot of us do, and I understand that, but for me it's having a big impact, and this why I drink, but at the same time I know it's not the solution..
Old 04-25-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You don't really sound like you have completely accepted that drinking isn't a solution. Otherwise you wouldn't be giving it as a reason for carrying on drinking.

I paid lip service to that stuff for a while. Kept waving a metaphorical white flag and saying I couldn't do it any more, yada yada yada , the new stopping off for a drink on the way home (and let's make it a good one, because doncha know I'm stopping tomorrow). More times than I care to remember. But the day I woke up and really understood that alcohol was the CAUSE of my problems, not any solution to anything, and fully conceded that I was not going to win any battle with alcohol, that was the day I didn't go back for another round with it.

The program of AA is not something that's just 'done' either. That step work needs to keep on being worked. It Works IF we WORK it. If we don't work it then we can't expect it just happen. And it's when we use the principles of the program in all areas of our lives that those areas (work, relationships, etc) start to improve and become easier as well.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 04-25-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

So what are you going to change you say you accept your alcoholism but to drink again after 2 weeks disproves that massively

No offence but if you were accepting your addiction alcoholism you wouldn't drink after 2 weeks

I'm glad your here my advice my friend would be get a recovery plan going do what is necessary and no matter what do not drink doesn't matter if the sky falls down nothing & i mean nothing can make me drink but myself if i truly accept that which i do i will never drink again

What's the point in walking round in circles that's all I used to do & i couldn't do it either yet here i am near 4 years later 34 & my life is better than it ever was

I'm not saying that to gloat it can be like this for you too

In this together no matter do not drink work on your acceptance & recovery