Notices

Quit date

Old 04-23-2017, 12:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quit date

Hi all, so I have not been much of a poster here but for a little background here you go. I am a 41 year old single mother in Australia. I have smoked cigarettes for the last 20 or so years. In the last 2 and a bit years or so I have been a daily pot smoker and bourbon drinker. Once my daughter is in bed I take myself out to my pergola to smoke like a chimney, drink bourbon like a fish and smoke a joint or two. I loved that brief feeling of happiness and calmness. As time went on I would need more and more pot to get to my 'happy place'. I have been seeing a psychiatrist regularly but my mum kept pushing me to see our family doctor who I have known since my daughter was a baby. He set me straight and we came to the conclusion that Tabacco is the main issue because the other two issues go hand in hand with the smoking. If I wasn't smoking cigarettes I wouldn't go outside and I can't see myself drinking inside alone or smoking the pot. He told me to chose a start date. My start date to quite cigs is the 10th May (my daughters birthday) I thought this meant that I still had almost two weeks to go crazy but that wasn't drs idea. He prescribed me to Champix and insists I pop in and see him weekly. He wants me to start the Champix tomorrow (although I'm going to a BBQ on Tues I may put it off until Tuesday. I am scared as hell because my nights outside is what I do each and every night. Don't go out, would prefer to just stay home but what am I going to do with myself???? I need a hobby, i need to keep my mind active and be able to be strong but I am so damn week!!! The only reason I think I am eager to try this as I want to see how I feel once the marijuana is no longer in my system. I hope to god that I feel better because if not I'm sure I will just go back to it. Here's hoping I am successful!!!!
Old 04-23-2017, 01:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You sound like you have a good doctor there!

I too set a quit date in the future (1 January, new year's etc) but a good friend of mine made me see sense. If you are going to quit for good, then it's nonsense to put it off, is more or less what she said.

IMHO, setting some future date is a sign we are not taking our addiction seriously. That time between decision and action is called leeway, and giving yourself leeway in any shape or form is a recipe for failure.

After my friend made me see sense, I quit the very next day.

What helped was:

1) Seeing my doctor and being honest and getting her onside (which you have done ... bravo!).

2) Getting onto SR and staying close, including joining a Class support thread (like the April thread which you can find right here ... just post and say hi, no formalities needed).

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-one.html

3) Making a recovery plan to deal with "scary" stuff like what will I do with my evenings? There's a great link below:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

You can do this, you know Liz. No need to hope to be successful. Grab on here for support and you will find you are not so damn weak!
Old 04-23-2017, 01:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Think of all the new healthy hobbies you can start and enjoy!
Old 04-23-2017, 01:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

JCML- (fellow 'strain) welcome. Every time you are bored- post, read here, I do every night for hours. Better than sitcom reruns and I have grown by doing it. Every time you want a smoke- post. Same with drinking and joints. If it was just the fags- I doubt you would be posting here. I could rationalise if I stopped smoking 9which I do) then I could still drink. Then I would drink more to compensate. Support to you.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again Liz

You've had trouble with the idea of a quit date before, but the bottom line is there is no good day to quit. There will always be some excuse to put off the quit.

I'd start tomorrow - you may as well go on as you mean to continue.

I'm not sure I agree with the hypothesis that the tobacco is the source of all evil here, but your Dr is the man on the spot.

It would be great for you if not smoking cigs stops you drinking and toking as well.

I'll gladly be wrong on this one

Best of luck
D
Old 04-23-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the responses. I have taken some screenshots of important points mentioned in the posts above and I am going to read them frequently. I will start the Champix tomorrow. I'm going to do this. XXX
Old 04-23-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Chantix Is the name of the drug here in the US. I had some weird side effects from it but I know others that have used it and it worked great..

From my experience I would keep in close communication with your doctor and let him know how you're feeling.

Also, please please do not drink alcohol while using.. it will say on the bottle, DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL while using..

Wishing you the best!!
Old 04-23-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My experience....going on four years smoke free. Cold turkey. Still an insatiable drunk. Two separate addictions. I would find an addiction therapist. BUT good on giving up the smokes. They kill as quick as alcohol!

And to clear that up...not drinking currently. But I think once an alcoholic...always an alcoholic albeit a recovering one!
Old 04-23-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck for today Liz - keep us updated

D
Old 04-25-2017, 04:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi all, thanks for all of the responses. Yesterday was my first day of Champix and I didn't have a cigarette all day or any marijuana or alcohol. Today (Tuesday) being the ANZAC day public holiday here in Aust I did go to a BBQ and in total today have had 4 cigarettes and before leaving the BBQ I left the remainder of my cigarette packet there and offloaded the remainder of marijuana. Tonight I have been spending a lot more time with my daughter which I can tell she really appreciates. I just wonder if I should have thrown the cigarettes away before the Champix really kicked in because if I don't have another I won't know how bad they taste????
Old 04-25-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

. I just wonder if I should have thrown the cigarettes away before the Champix really kicked in because if I don't have another I won't know how bad they taste????
That sounds a bit like addictive logic to me Liz lol

I'd just run with the not smoking, toking etc - see how you go

D
Old 04-27-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Today has been a real struggle. I had a meltdown and unfortunately as my daughter was the only one here she copped it. After yelling and having a cry for a while I calmed down and apologised to her but it's been damn hard. Every night up until Monday after she goes to bed I would go to my safe place in my pergola and smoke, drink and do pot and that's when I was calm, relaxed and happy. Tonight I tried to occupy myself by doing some work as that's something I can do from home and there is always lots to do and now I'm in bed, at 10pm!!!! Usually my night has just begun and now I would be getting that buzzed, relaxed empty feeling without a care in the world. I worry about how I will cope this weekend as my daughter is going to her dads and I will be all alone. I'm miserable not doing what I used to do. :-(
Old 04-27-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Liz,

Get a sober date, see your doctor as you mentioned. Do what ever it takes but stop the insanity!!

You can do this.. we're all pulling for you!!
Old 04-27-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have a sober date Dave I'm heading into my 5th day today. Fingers crossed it's easier than yesterday.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by JustCallMeLiz View Post
I'm miserable not doing what I used to do. :-(
It's your addiction that's miserable. Make it suffer. Stay strong.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well I have made it to day 8. I am pretty much fine during the day but it is night time from about 9pm because that is the time I used to start my chain smoking, bourbon drinking and marijuana smoking, I miss the numb feeling I used to get from that and would love to feel that again but that wasn't thanks to the cigarettes it was the dope and I definitely do not want to go down that road again and I know if I was to just smoke the one joint it would bring on the other two because they all seem to go hand in hand for me. Fingers crossed things get better :-)
Old 05-02-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustCallMeLiz View Post
I have a sober date Dave I'm heading into my 5th day today. Fingers crossed it's easier than yesterday.
Great job Liz, send us an update!! Wishing you the best!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on day 8 Liz. Don't forget SR is always here if you need some support or help working on a sobriety plan. Keep your fingers crossed but supplement your support network so you don't have to ;-)
Old 05-02-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your progress Liz - and yeh - use us as much as you need to

D
Old 05-12-2017, 11:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've lost track a little but I think I am on day 18. I have an app on my phone that tells me but I don't have my phone with me. Things are ok, I haven't missed the cigs as much as I thought however this arvo I decided to pour myself a glass of bourbon and coke and it's amazing how much the urge to smoke came from having the drink. In the past 18 days I have probably only had a total of 4 drinks so I guess I have gone from being a self diagnosed chain smoking, marijuana smoking alcoholic to pretty much nothing. Before quitting I thought my life would be boring but it's been ok although I wouldn't mind the occasional night sitting out on my pergola watching tv, smoking like a chimney and getting stoned but I'm not going to do it. I guess it also helps as I am in Australia and it is cold!!!! Also none of my friends near by smoke so if I caved I would have to buy a whole packet rather than getting one off a friend and I am not going to do that. I am feeling quite flat though and lack a heap of motivation and feel very very lazy. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist on Tuesday and won't he get a shock as the last time I saw him I didn't really seem like I was going to quit but what a surprise for him. My Dr who helped me quit thinks I should try a new medication as the meds I have been put on are very old fashioned and to be honest I don't think doing anything. Hope everyone else is well.