Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What Alcohol was you consuming at the end days of your drinking ?

Notices
View Poll Results: What Price Range Was The Alcohol In At The End Of Your Drinking
The Most Expensive Brands On Earth
3.89%
Big Brand Names
47.08%
Lesser Known Brand Names/ Supermarket's Own Brand
49.03%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

What Alcohol was you consuming at the end days of your drinking ?

Old 04-29-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Beer and cider, mainly. I'd try different craft beers thinking I was being classy about it, but really after the first few I didn't care what it tasted like.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Bacardi Rum. Before that it was Crown Royal. Supplemented with alternate beer or wine depending on my mood.
Used to always be beer or wine but I too...found out the hard core liquor got me there. On a mission to destruction. NO MORE!!!
Old 04-29-2017, 12:13 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Staggering amounts of beer (Budweiser, Coors Lite, Miller, Michelob).

Bourbon (Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Old Charter).

Lots and lots of vodka (Popov, Smirnov, and a little Stolichnaya (if it was near payday)).

Brandy and cognac.

No mixers.

Little if any ice.

And very frequently, straight from the bottle.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

IPAs and Cabernet mostly, with some vodka mixed in when I wanted to avoid the scent. I was never smart enough to go to the cheap stuff. I was an expensive drunk. Drunk and dumb, what a combo!
Old 04-29-2017, 08:28 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Wine: Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Merlot
Vodka: Kettle One
Scotch: Glen Levitt

;
Old 04-30-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

This thread is a good one. Just reading it makes me nauseated and is a good reminder.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:45 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I drank the cheapest vodka I could find. 5:00 o'clock vodka's stock dropped 5 points when I quit.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Wolfie, you and I are good buds. So I hope you know I'm coming from a good place when I ask "does it matter?"

Honestly, whether I was pouring down contents of $500 bottles or the cheapest rotgut off the shelves, I was still an alcoholic and needed to stop.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Freight trains of beer since my teenage years. Followed by wine/expensive brandy/whiskey/gin and an assortment of liqueurs and shots i cannot remember because i was too drunk to remember them. Today I bow to the potency and healing qualities of water and yoga.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
Whatever was available. Sometimes even mouthwash.
My grandfather used to drink mouthwash all the time. I never understood it, driving down the road and he always had his mouthwash.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Red wine and whiskey. I quit red wine (and coffee) thinking it would help slow me down, because it goes down so easily. I'm ok with drinking socially, but any anxiety hits and I just coonnssuuumme. Self medication, I suppose.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

When I started drinking heavily I had a good paying job so I drank Michelob Light. As I consumed more and more that became too expensive so I downgraded to Bud Light. I then lost my job (not due to drinking but department layoffs) and I went down another notch to Natural Light. As time went on I became a regular consumer of the even cheaper Milwaukees Best... and that was all I drank for years.

I would always have 2-3 beers in a "freezer rotation," meaning I would keep a few in the freezer to get super cold and would pop one in when I took one out. I also sprinkled a little salt in each beer... at least at first. After a while I was putting them down so quick I'd forget.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

When I hit my rock bottom I was drinking cheap red wine straight out of the bottle
Old 05-04-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Famous Grouse - scotch whiskey
Old 05-05-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I mostly drank the "bargain bin" or "poverty" brands, so at least I never wasted too much money on this bad habit (all things considered).

I mostly drank the cheapy beer brands such as Heineken, Mickey's, Olde English 800, Busch, and Steel Reserve. As for "hard" liquors, I mostly drank the "poverty" brands as well, such as Old Crow, Evan Williams, etc. From time to time I would buy some "generic" wine brands, can't remember the names off hand, but I do remember they were all $7 or under. Usually during my regular trips to the liquor store I would pick up a 40 oz and a 24 oz..... usually. I think I averaged $3-$5 per liquor store trip. Alas, I became quite the "regular" customer at said liquor store(s)

I feel bad for the alcoholics that get hooked on the "expensive stuff", must get expensive after a while
Old 05-05-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
I mostly drank the cheapy beer brands such as Heineken...
Heineken is cheap? Kinda pricey here in the midwest.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Smirnoff, plastic pint bottles, easy to conceal.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:42 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by As387353 View Post
My grandfather used to drink mouthwash all the time. I never understood it, driving down the road and he always had his mouthwash.
When ABF would run out of booze or couldn't walk to the store he drank liters of mouthwash, along with cans of hairspray, aftershave, perfume, Vicks vapor liquid that we used for our humidifier, Axe body spray, red wine vinegar, all my baking extracts, hand sanitizing gel, and probably some other stuff I can't recall. Shocked the hell out of me the first time I witnessed coming home to my perfume bottles smashed and the house reeking of vomit mixed with any of the above. And every bender usually includes this behavior. To this day it's been the most shocking thing I've ever witnessed. (Even more than the time I was mugged at gun point). Some things just shock you more than you could ever prepare for.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:55 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Smarie78 View Post
...he drank liters of mouthwash, along with cans of hairspray, aftershave, perfume, Vicks vapor liquid that we used for our humidifier, Axe body spray, red wine vinegar, all my baking extracts, hand sanitizing gel, and probably some other stuff I can't recall.
Good grief.

I climbed out two story windows and walked miles in 20 degree temps to go to supermarket, but I always got beer.

I suffered withdrawals so bad once, that had I known it had alcohol in it, I probably would of drank mouthwash to assuage the misery. I think I'd go to the hospital before resorting to perfume or hairspray though!
Old 06-17-2017, 01:17 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Everything. I wasn't exactly a connoisseur. I would alternate between vodka and rock bottom gutbucket beer. I tried super expensive whiskey for a while to try to force myself to make a bottle last more than two days, but all that happened was that my alcohol expenses skyrocketed to a crazy amount. I went the other direction and bought the most embarrassing skid row type of beer imaginable. That's what I was drinking when I quit.