Notices

Almost 24 hours in ..

Old 03-30-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost 24 hours in ..

Hi Everyone, I'm new here. I'm a 35 year old guy from Oregon.

I have been a daily drinker for about 10 years. For the past several years it's been 10-20 beers, every day. Coors Light. Never touch hard alcohol -- just light beers. I've worked for a tech company, remotely from home, for about 8 years. Working from home is great, but it also allows me to day drink.

I typically start about 9am and continue drinking all day, slowly. Maybe a beer an hour. Then I'll pick the pace up about 5pm. Never do I feel/get drunk, of course, with such a high tolerance. But I feel crappy in the morning.

I voluntarily went to the doctor on Tuesday to get some bloodwork done -- I usually do this once a year, to check my liver, and everything else. For the first time ever, my enzymes were elevated.

AST: 44
ALT: 91

Along with the results, the doctor wrote "you need to stop drinking". I know the numbers aren't terrible, but I'm still not even close to being okay with this.

So here I am, it'll be 24 hours at 9pm tonight (couple more hours) since my last beer.

I'm anxious as can be, and fidgety, but for some reason calmly alert. Feels like I'm in a fog. I don't know how this night will go. Just need to take it one hour at a time. I want to crack a beer so bad but have refrained.

I made an appointment with my primary care doctor tomorrow to establish my plan for recovery. I need some meds to tame this anxiety, at a minimum.

Should I be concerned about withdrawing badly overnight? I never thought I would detox without doctor supervision. I'm scared. Should wait until he assess me? I don't want to get severe symptoms.

This is the first time I've not drank for 24 hours ... in years. 10 years?
Old 03-30-2017, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello.

I know what you mean, day drinking used to be super fun. I loved it far more than night drinking. It's fun for a time in life. It's not a habit to do daily or weekly. Its an occasional thing. But no we abused it so now we have memory on how we do this so we can't do it here and there. It has to stop totally forever for us since we crossed the line into abuse.

Its tricky to quit because beer drinking crosses the line with feeding time. When we used to be thirsty we could drink beer. When we had a little food and had room in us we could fill up with beer. So you'll get these desires to drink beer again revolving around your desire to eat and drink sometimes.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The fact that you feel anxious and fidgety is indicative of the beginning stages of withdrawl. Having been a daily drinker, then abruptly going cold turkey like yourself, I'm going to let you know that withdrawing will slowly but steadily become more and more severe until it reaches it's apex, at which time the symptoms will slowly but steadily decline.

Like you, I only drank beer --probably about 14-18 beers a day, usually between 9 p.m. and about 4 a.m., and I did this for 10+ years. My withdrawls became so severe I had to be hospitalized and heavily sedated.. which gave me immediate relief.
One of the worst parts was being both physically and mentally exhausted, but completely unable to sleep... it drove me to near madness. I also lost most muscle control and shook violently.

Oddly enough, I underwent a battery of tests while there, including a sonogram of my liver/pancreas and all tests came back very good, I couldn't believe it. Longevity runs on both sides of my family so maybe genetics had something to do with it?

If you're insured and things start to get bad, I would go to the emergency room. I first was driven to my primary physician and then an urgent care center. They both told me that I could only be treated in the hospital. When you're discharged they will most likely give you a prescription for Librium that will assuage the misery of detoxing.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The first week, especially the first few days are rough, though that's a great thing you are working with your doctor with it.
I would talk everything over with them tomorrow and see what they feel is the best plan of action would be, be it a home detox with meds or perhaps getting you into professional detox.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by puddlejumper70 View Post
Like you, I only drank beer --probably about 14-18 beers a day, usually between 9 p.m. and about 4 a.m., and I did this for 10+ years. My withdrawls became so severe I had to be hospitalized and heavily sedated.. which gave me immediate relief.
One of the worst parts was being both physically and mentally exhausted, but completely unable to sleep... it drove me to near madness. I also lost most muscle control and shook violently.
Puddle -- when did your severe withdrawals kick in? I know everyone responds to them differently but just curious.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 03-30-2017, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RyGuy83 View Post
Puddle -- when did your severe withdrawals kick in? I know everyone responds to them differently but just curious.
I would guess about 12-15 hours after the last drink. I began feeling this odd, deep tissue trembling in my thighs first. I became increasingly agitated and over the next 48 hours my entire body was in terrible anguish. All of a sudden I suffered a severe panic attack, and semi-paralysis. Sister then called ambulance.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome RyGuy

Withdrawal is so unpredictable that I wouldn't even hazard a guess what someone might be in for.

Even in my own experience there was a wide variety. Some withdrawals felt like no side effects at all while others were very dangerous.

If you feel concerned, or particularly unwell, seeing a doctor is a smart move.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome RyGuy,

I agree with Dee, my experience was the same- there was no telling how bad or easy/nonexistent my withdrawals would be, and I had detoxed/quit so many times.
Best to always err on the side of caution. Anxiety is a pretty common issue for those of us quitting. Take care and take lots of support.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I appreciate all the feedback everyone. I officially hit the 24 hour mark about 40 minutes ago.

Gonna try to get some sleep now -- dr appointment in the AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I appreciate all the feedback everyone. I officially hit the 24 hour mark about 40 minutes ago.

Gonna try to get some sleep now -- dr appointment in the AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
LoveHateMerlot

Hey RyGuy83, I'm only 2 weeks sober, it does get easier day by day. Hang in there and come here often. This article helps me determine my withdrawal symptoms:

What Happens to Your Body When You Stop Drinking | 12 Keys Rehab12 Keys Rehab
Old 03-31-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had no issue falling asleep last night -- slept 10pm - 4:30am. I usually wouldn't be up that early but as soon as I opened my eyes I was thinking "holy crap, I didn't drink yesterday".

This is the first morning in probably 10 years that I've woken up in the morning without having drank alcohol the day before. And usually it'd be ~15 beers. I don't know what waking up clear-headed feels like.

It's a surreal feeling.

I still feel a little foggy and slightly anxious but no other symptoms. No shakes. No delirium. No panic. Which is surprising me because anxiety is something I've always battled.

Here's to day 2!

Meeting with the doctor in about an hour to establish a plan.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

my advice is to at the very least be ready to hit up an ER god forbid things get sketchy. Alcohol withdrawel can indeed kill ya.

thats basicly what i did. I drank like a fish also worked from home and i followed my no drinking during work hours rule till about the last year. I tapered off a bit and made it out ok.

The coming months where very very hard for me. I had the foggy brain thing for a few months then it cleared up and my brain started going 123982138921328 MPH which was good cept the racing thoughts. I had horrible debilitating anxiety for about 8 or 9 months. It was really bad for years after to be honest and still can be at almost 6 years. To some degree tho i've always had bad anxiety for one reason or another. But that first year or so was not easy.

All you can really do is take it one day at a time and be happy your feeling better each day. or like your said hour by hour even.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome RYguy - glad to hear that you are seeing your doc today, that's a very smart plan. The first several days after quitting can really be a crapshoot...some people get no real symptoms at all other than feeling kind of crummy while others have moderate to severe symptoms. It can also take more than 24 hours for them to kick in - my last WD I was seemingly "OK" for a couple of days but ended up getting hauled to the ER by some coworkers with heart palpitations and dangerously high BP/heart rate.

But you are seeking medical help today and also help working out a plan with your doc, as well as here on SR - that is a very good start. I hope all goes well for you at your appointment.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
LoveHateMerlot

Welcome to Day 2!!! Way to go RyGuy! That's a HUGE achievement! Hang on to that first feeling when you woke up, it's great ammunition in your fight :-). Good luck at the doctor!! xoxoxoxoxo
Old 03-31-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi RyGuy!

Welcome. I'm only a couple of months sober but SR has been a great help to me. Stick close and read and post a lot!

Listen to the guys here. They know what they are talking about. Try not to worry about withdrawals unnecessarily; just take sensible precautions and be ready to seek help if the need arises.

Just as an aside: I was a beer drinker too and used that to minimize my problem to myself. Seems to me beer drinking is another trap of alcoholism because "only drinking beer" means things couldn't be that bad, right? Even though I drank more and more and stronger and stronger brands over the years, I could kid myself that my addiction wasn't getting worse because I was still "just drinking beer."

I say this as I, by and large, avoided the "harder stuff" too, conveniently forgetting that beer has plenty of the "hard stuff" (i.e. ethanol) in it too.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just got back from the appointment.

Blood pressure and pulse were "perfect". He wanted to learn more about my drinking history -- told him all of the details. He said he like to see patients like this go to detox centers during this stage. I told him I'd much rather do this at home and he didn't oppose it. Said that if I have the support around the willpower to abstain, go for it.

He also confirmed that it should be safe for me to this at home. He doesn't think it will get much worse than it is right now, 36 hours in. I was concerned about my health here -- thinking maybe it wouldn't be safe to do it at home.

He would NOT give me any medications to make me more comfortable. He said he that's only for detox centers under a medical supervised detox -- his theory at least.

I do have some like 3 or 4 year old Xanax upstairs somewhere. Maybe I should take one or two of those when the anxiety gets really bad?

So ... here's to day 2. One hour at a time.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
LoveHateMerlot

That's great news!! Thanks for the positive update! It's got to be a huge relief to know you aren't putting yourself at risk now. You are so strong! ❤️
Old 03-31-2017, 03:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do have some like 3 or 4 year old Xanax upstairs somewhere. Maybe I should take one or two of those when the anxiety gets really bad?
I always think self medication is a bad idea - that's how I got in this mess in the first place.

Anxiety is part and parcel of withdrawal for nearly everyone - it's not pleasant but it's usually not debiliating.

Of course if it is debilitating for you, ring your Dr and ask about the Xanax you have.

D